Motor oil & filter recomendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Motor oil & filter recomendations

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.comTJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Unread 02-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
Greever
2008 WK 

Motor oil & filter recomendations

So I'm coming close to the first oil change interval since I got my jeep about 6 months ago. The dealer I bought it from did an oil change before I took it from them and they said they used full synthetic and mopar filter, idk what brand of oil or viscosity (assuming 5w-20). Its got 112k on the clock and I plan to go full synthetic. Viscosity wise im not sure if i should run the recommended 5w-20 or should I do 5w-30 because of the overall mileage instead? Also im leaning toward using royal purple but I know many of you run mobil 1.

For the filter, I was told only to use mopar filters but I was wondering if there are any that would be comparable or better then the mopar filter.

Hoping the weather breaks soon (felt like spring when it was 32 degrees on Wednesday lol) so I can get this done.

Greever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greever View Post
So I'm coming close to the first oil change interval since I got my jeep about 6 months ago. The dealer I bought it from did an oil change before I took it from them and they said they used full synthetic and mopar filter, idk what brand of oil or viscosity (assuming 5w-20). Its got 112k on the clock and I plan to go full synthetic. Viscosity wise im not sure if i should run the recommended 5w-20 or should I do 5w-30 because of the overall mileage instead? Also im leaning toward using royal purple but I know many of you run mobil 1.

For the filter, I was told only to use mopar filters but I was wondering if there are any that would be comparable or better then the mopar filter.

Hoping the weather breaks soon (felt like spring when it was 32 degrees on Wednesday lol) so I can get this done.
Use your owners manual. It will tell you the viscosity for your engine. I use royal purple oil and filter on every vehicle I own. I haven't had any issues yet. Mobil 1 works just as well I'm sure and more available. If it's always had conventional oil and you switch to full synthetic don't be suprised if you develop some small oil leakage. I've had it happen on a couple of vehicles. No biggie though.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Greever
2008 WK 

Well ive been watching my oil level like a hawk since the dealer said they put full synthetic in and there has been no visible loss, ill be able to tell once I do the change though (unless they didnt put in 6 quarts)
Unread 02-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

20 or 30 just about literally won't matter. I'd go with what's on the oil cap but there really is no difference.

Go with Mobil1 syn oil and filter - great combo.

WIX filters are great as well.

I just don't see the cost/benefit for the RP being worth it.

FWIW - as an example, I get my oil (Mobil1 5/20 full syn) at Costco when it goes on sale. 26 bucks per 6quart case.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
modernblueWK

It could matter if we knew which engine you had. The hemi needs 5w20 for the mds to operate. The v6 and 4.7 v8 do not NEED 5w20 but it is recommended for 2008.

I run syn blend 5w20 in my 4.7. It seems to quiet the engine down on startup vs full syn.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
JRLT
2010 WK 

My 3.7L has MDS and calls for 5-20. I use the Mobil 5000 High Mileage and a Mobil 1 filter (M1-212).
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
20 or 30 just about literally won't matter. I'd go with what's on the oil cap but there really is no difference.

FWIW - as an example, I get my oil (Mobil1 5/20 full syn) at Costco when it goes on sale. 26 bucks per 6quart case.
I would never argue that royal purple is worth the extra cost. I haven't done any oil analysis or other testing. The few extra bucks it cost me for an oil change doesn't bother me. It cost was an issue I would run what ever was on sale or the cheapest and continue to change it regularly.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
modernblueWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
My 3.7L has MDS and calls for 5-20. I use the Mobil 5000 High Mileage and a Mobil 1 filter (M1-212).
Your 3.7 v6 does NOT have mds. It does have a fuel cutoff on deceleration feature that differs from mds. MDS actively shuts down opposing cylinders when cruising under light loads.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 02-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
mattWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post

yep I was going to say pretty much this. I prefer Mobil 1 and a mobil 1 filter. Costco will do a deal on this stuff every so often which is great however the 5.7 takes 7 quarts so I either buy one case of 6 + 1 qt elsewhere or 7 cases at costco to last me six oil changes...

i'm really against using different oil every change and there's a great peace of mind when it comes to doing your own oil, always been with mobil 1 5w-20 for about 3 years now.
mattWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregstudeny View Post
I would never argue that royal purple is worth the extra cost. I haven't done any oil analysis or other testing. The few extra bucks it cost me for an oil change doesn't bother me. It cost was an issue I would run what ever was on sale or the cheapest and continue to change it regularly.
Which is probably more than many folks do in regards to auto maintenance. You make a good point, though, and in reality the RP vs Mobil1 full syns are pretty comparable.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Greever
2008 WK 

brain fart on my part as I was practically running out the door to get to class when I made the post lol, but i have a 2008 4.7. 5w-20 it is, I just remember seeing people say 5w-30 for high mileage cars. So I've decided to go with mobil 1 since its more readily available in my area. But now as I web search I'm seeing mobil 1 and mobil super. The super is quite a bit cheaper per quart then the mobil 1 so it has me wondering which would be better.
Unread 02-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #12
caulk04
2008 WK 

Mobil super is conventional oil. Mobil1 is synthetic.

I prefer Mobil1 oil in whatever appropriate viscosity and a Purolator filter (the textured gold one). They rate higher than the Mobil1 filters in square inches of filter media and particle size filtered.
Unread 02-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #13
modernblueWK

Get a syn blend or full syn. I use fram tough guard filters.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 03-03-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
PTee

When I first got my WK home I had my local dealer do the oil change. Whatever blend they use I have no idea, mopar 5w-20 something I couldn't find out. Evic prompted me to do an oil change just over 3700km later!!!!
I do my own now and have gone with the purple and a Fram filter. I'm now being prompted around 8000km. And the dip tells me I'm just a little over a quarter quart down. I did two with the Fram, and am now switching to the Fram Ultra Synthetic. Will see if it makes a difference. They say it should.
I don't see why you wouldn't go full synthetic.
I do mostly in town driving so it's harder on my oil, when I throw 2 long trips to the cabin over the Rockies, towing, I just change it before I get the message, but it has still been close to 8000km.
If that Mopar dealer stuff breaks down that fast, it sure doesn't seem worth the cheap cost of it.

2010 WK North Edition 5.7 Hemi, QT2, loaded Black WK #102
PTee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2015, 01:16 AM   #15
modernblueWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTee View Post
When I first got my WK home I had my local dealer do the oil change. Whatever blend they use I have no idea, mopar 5w-20 something I couldn't find out. Evic prompted me to do an oil change just over 3700km later!!!!
I do my own now and have gone with the purple and a Fram filter. I'm now being prompted around 8000km. And the dip tells me I'm just a little over a quarter quart down. I did two with the Fram, and am now switching to the Fram Ultra Synthetic. Will see if it makes a difference. They say it should.
I don't see why you wouldn't go full synthetic.
I do mostly in town driving so it's harder on my oil, when I throw 2 long trips to the cabin over the Rockies, towing, I just change it before I get the message, but it has still been close to 8000km.
If that Mopar dealer stuff breaks down that fast, it sure doesn't seem worth the cheap cost of it.

2010 WK North Edition 5.7 Hemi, QT2, loaded Black WK #102
The wk doesnt actually measure the quality or contamination of the oil. It only uses a set of parameters preset for miles, temperature, hours, things like that.

If your evic oil change message comes on at 3700 km then it has to do with driving conditions. Things the vehicle is able to measure.

A machine that could effectively evaluate the quality of the oil and its remaining effectiveness would cost more than the jeep would.
Blue WK club #4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.