More Power Before Warm-up? MDS? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > More Power Before Warm-up? MDS?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 08-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
hearld5000
2006 WK 

More Power Before Warm-up? MDS?

The last few weeks I've notice my 2006 5.7 Hemi feels like it has a lot more power in the mornings before the engine warms up...any thoughts on why this might be?

Is it true that MDS doesn't enable until it warms up to a certain point? Could this be related?

On a side tangent, I have a SuperChips tuner...what is the point of disabling MDS outside of the drone some people get with aftermarket exhaust?

hearld5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

Every modern car will have more power at first start up of the day. Two reasons, 1: it's sucking in cooler more dense air, and 2: the computer is running it richer on fuel which mimics a choke on a carburetor. So there it is. More fuel, more air, MORE POWER!!!!
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

X2^^^. Until the engine warms to a certain point, the fuel injection is running in open loop (same as it would at WOT), and instead of a 14.7:1 air/fuel mixture, it's probably running ~11 or 12:1 a/f ratio. Maximum economy is the former, maximum power is usually 12.8-13.2:1. Our stock Hemi's run ~10.8-11:1 at WOT. I've not monitored the a/f from start to warmup. I'll have to do that??

Also, on mine, the MDS doesn't start working until the engine temp. is ~115=125 degrees. Usually takes less than a half mile, depending on the ambient temp. The MDS doesn't have anything to do with more power right after startup. You're sure right though, performance is a lot better when cold.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
quicksilverado
2007 WK 

The transmission also holds gears longer to rev the engine higher. This helps warm the engine up faster.
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
hearld5000
2006 WK 

I can certainly understand that, but these gains really feel more than anything else I've ever driven. Could this point to a bad EGR perhaps? I'm half tempted to do a 0-60 in the morning comparison to at full temp, it really seems too significant to be normal.
hearld5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
JRLT
2010 WK 

My buddy said a lot of computers usually run a "cold" program until the engine warms up and then the computer will start the "warm" program. The cold is setting things in line at certain levels until the engine gets warm and then it'll kick over to a more active program. Basically, if something's wrong, it wont act like it till the engine is warm. A friend's Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi runs great until it warms up. He needs new O2 sensors(and he knows it) so it runs like crap after the engine warms up. So, you more than likely have an underlying condition.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
A friend's Ram 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi runs great until it warms up. He needs new O2 sensors(and he knows it) so it runs like crap after the engine warms up. So, you more than likely have an underlying condition.
That's probably because it's (fuel injection) running in "open loop" mode, which doesn't use the O2 Sensors for mixture control. In this mode mixture is controlled by pre-programmed fuel tables in the PCM that are utilized based on other engine sensor inputs. Once warm, and in "closed loop" operation, the front O2's are the primary input for proper (14.7:1) mixture control. If the front O2's are bad/going bad, they can go rich, lean, or become lazy and not respond as they should. For a little more info. on this, check this thread out:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/o...rimer-1182446/
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.