MOOG sway bar bushing wore out quick! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > MOOG sway bar bushing wore out quick!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 02-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #1
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

MOOG sway bar bushing wore out quick!

I've been hearing these horrible clunks when going over bumps, and I've been trying to figure out what it was. I replaced the sway bar bushings and end links a few thousand miles ago, and that stopped the noise. Then it came back!
Since it sounded like the same noise that was eliminated with replacing the sway bar bushings, I tried to buy a new pair to see if that was the problem. The parts store guy said none were even available in the state, and they he always just wraps the sway bar with duct tape and reinstalls the bushing.
So, I did that last night and the noise is gone! I'm shocked that sway bar bushings would wear out in about 5k miles!
I did notice some pitting on the bar where the bushing sits, so maybe the twisting is grinding down the bushings?

caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
ggt1_02
2009 WK 

If the coating on the bar is worn it will wear a new bushing quicker, the bar surface is shot peened not smooth, hence why putting duct tape would alleviate that. It would also help fill the gap is the bushing was not the perfect size. I used to work at a place which tested stabilizer bars to hundreds of thousands of cycles, sometimes the bushings would last the whole test sometimes not. There were times where we had to do things to make the bushing fit properly and stay in place, tape, wedges, clamps etc. We were testing to the maximum stroke though.
Unread 02-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

That's interesting to know! So I guess I really shouldn't blame the bushings, since it seems that the pitted sway bar is what wore them down. How long do you think my tape method will last?
You might know, why does a bar mounted inside a rubber bushing make such a loud noise when there's a tiny bit of clearance?
Unread 02-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

front or rear sway bar?

i got a nasty clunk sounds like drivers rear...
wondered if maybe my worn out shocks or maybe bushings...
Unread 02-26-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
caddydaddy
2007 WK 

Front. I'd replace the sway bar bushings first.
Unread Yesterday, 06:30 PM   #6
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

ya ill check them out
cheers
Unread Today, 08:38 AM   #7
LouC
2007 WK 

What I've been doing is to use a needle adaptor for my grease gun and inject grease between the bushing and the sway bar where ever there's a space. I do this at each oil change and it had stopped the squeaks and noises over speed bumps.
I use the better marine rated grease and it lasts a good while. Still have the OE ones in there and they started squeaking at about 35k miles, now up to 80k miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.