Monroe load leveling shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Monroe load leveling shocks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

Monroe load leveling shocks

I put this in my garage but thought I would post it here as well.

Ok I got the shocks installed. First problem is putting longer shocks on I had to disconnect the sway bar to get the axle to drop enough which worked great and easy enough done except the driver side upper control arm hitting the fuel tank skid stopped me on that side. Some prying and pushing got the shock in. I will take more measurements when I'm loaded for the beach this weekend but here are the first ones.

Measurements are from the center of the hub or wheel to the bottom of the fender.
Stock: Empty jeep 1/2 fuel 21 1/16
Stock: Empty jeep and fuel 21 3/16
Monroe's: Empty Jeep and fuel 22 3/4

The funny part was getting out of my garage I put my hitch basket on and two large cooler full of water and my wife's dad on there and still only dropped enough to scrap out the door. Other then that it was a straight forward easy as can be upgrade. I'm on my way out to lowes to get some parts to drop my basket closer to the roof which will be another thread. Oh forgot on the top I added three washers to pick up the difference in size I just used barring grease to hold the washers in place while I put the shock in.

I should note that with the extra length of the longer shocks being matched up to the lifted rear axle puts that shock right into the sweep spot or proper operating range.

sal-XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

thats awesome! looks great
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Budasac
2005 WK 

How does it ride? Stiff? sk1er18 had these on his XK as well. I was thinkin' about this because 1) I want slightly more lift in the rear, and 2) my *** sags when it's got a load in it.

So you're saying you got a full inch+ of height with these?
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
How does it ride? Stiff? sk1er18 had these on his XK as well. I was thinkin' about this because 1) I want slightly more lift in the rear, and 2) my *** sags when it's got a load in it.

So you're saying you got a full inch+ of height with these?
I used the longer ones then Matt did. He used the direct replacement but he looked up the info for theses I tested the fit and now we know they will fit. The ride is great it did stiffen up but not enough to be uncomfortable. My shocks were badly worn and the ride suffered as well. I will be loading up for the beach this weekend so I will have some serious abuse on these and hopefully nothing but good things to say on monday.

Quote:
from Matt,
Part number 58646
Compressed Length = 15.16
Extended Length = 24.87
Travel = 9.15
Upper Mount = LS30
Lower Mount = LS38

Part number 58643
Compressed Length = 16.59
Extended Length = 27.55
Travel = 10.66
Upper Mount = LS38
Lower Mount = LS38

Mounts:
LS30:
Sleeve ID = 12MM
Sleeve Length = 1-7/8 (1.875)

LS38:
Sleeve ID = 1/2" (12.7MM)
Sleeve Length = 1-1/2 (1.50)
Edit: I think I got about an 1 1/2 lift out of these
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

The lift looks pretty good, nice job. Which beach? If you come through Greenville, you better swing by bro.
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Carolina WK View Post
The lift looks pretty good, nice job. Which beach? If you come through Greenville, you better swing by bro.
Going to carolina beach I don't think I swing threw Greenville on the way
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Yeah... looks like i'll be ordering these very soon. The OE replacements work great, but i'd really like the longer ones for more flex while offroading. Plus, i wouldn't mind bringing up the rear another inch or so.
sk1er18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

budasac, if you want you can swing down one day and test fit mine... they only take 10 minutes to throw on.

When mine had the stock shocks my rear was almost 1/4" lower than the front and with a load on my hitch hauler the rear would drop about an inch lower than the front. With the OE replacement load levelers installed, with the rear went up about 1/2" taller than the front and with the same load it would just drop even with the front.

The XK has quite a bit more weight in the rear, especially with those 3rd row seats.... so you'll probably gain a bit more than that with your WK.
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
TurboDiesel
2008 WK 

so u gained 1 1/2 with just new shocks?
do u have a lift

wondering if u should just buy new socks and struts if that will give me enuough boost to comfortably mount the new rims/tires
TurboDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

I have a 2" spacer lift that's why I got the longer shocks to stay in the sweet spot and get more articulation off road. So yes 1.5" from these shocks I think the spring has a lot to do with it on these. Spacer lifts are just a cheap way to get lift ideally if you have the money you should use shocks and springs to get your the lift you need.
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Chapman89
2006 XK Commander 

That looks great Sal! The XK appears to be pretty clean right now, kind of odd... haha

Shopping for a JKU
Chapman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
jager00
2005 WK 

looks likes dans!!!!

do you normally stow alot?
jager00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
Budasac
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
budasac, if you want you can swing down one day and test fit mine... they only take 10 minutes to throw on.

When mine had the stock shocks my rear was almost 1/4" lower than the front and with a load on my hitch hauler the rear would drop about an inch lower than the front. With the OE replacement load levelers installed, with the rear went up about 1/2" taller than the front and with the same load it would just drop even with the front.

The XK has quite a bit more weight in the rear, especially with those 3rd row seats.... so you'll probably gain a bit more than that with your WK.

I'd probably be better off with the longer ones with the RC lift. I was going to fab some steel plates to stack on the RC spacer for an extra 1/2 to 3/4". For looks and to help with the *** draggin' when loaded. This may be just what I need though.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

It's not clean LOL it has mud all over it. It's just the picture makes it look clean. I do seem to hall a lot of cargo I'm always camping some where or doing something. I will have close to 700 LBS of cargo and food and supplies for my beach trip this weekend plus the people I have to hall so my XK needed this mod badly.
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

They definitely do the trick.

Before I installed mine, my 25 lb mountain bike on the hitch rack would cause the rear to sag.... after installing them I was sitting level with my friends 7000lb boat. And that's with the OE replacements; the longer ones will be even stiffer and keep the rear higher (more spring deflection)

Sagging with bike (pre-shocks):

Basically level with boat (post shocks. Now the bike doesn't change ride height at all... like it should be):

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.