Modified OME HD or MD coils? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Modified OME HD or MD coils?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 05-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #61
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
If you're gonna run 285s it might not be a bad idea.
Really depends on how you plan to use the rig. Aggressive wheelin will stuff the rear at some point.
Thanks man.... Are these more important for the rear I'm assuming? I noticed that Omelet put extended bumpstops on both front and rear. As of now, I don't plan on extreme wheeling.

To install longer bumpstops, the coil needs to be out correct? Not something that would be fairly easy to install after the fact if I decided I needed them?

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
ChiliPepperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #62
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepperXJ View Post

Thanks man.... Are these more important for the rear I'm assuming? I noticed that Omelet put extended bumpstops on both front and rear. As of now, I don't plan on extreme wheeling.

To install longer bumpstops, the coil needs to be out correct? Not something that would be fairly easy to install after the fact if I decided I needed them?
If you're gonna install them I'd do it when everything is broke down for lift install. Honestly, I'd skip the extended bumpstops if you're just gonna take it on dirt roads and what not.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #63
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
If you're gonna install them I'd do it when everything is broke down for lift install. Honestly, I'd skip the extended bumpstops if you're just gonna take it on dirt roads and what not.
Thanks man. Thinking about it, and a little searching on another forum, I found this article:

Extended Bump Stops

Figured they wont hurt to put in, and should I come to a time when I do need them, I'll be glad they are there. On another note, I have done both the front pinch weld mod, and the rear fender mod.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #64
Just_Josh
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepperXJ View Post
Anybody hear how difficult it is to get the coil in once the spacer is in? All I know is I dread using those coil compressors!
They really aren't as scary to use as people make them out to be, used them twice now with no problems. I had to use them to compress one side after I had got the spacer installed on the other side without them. The trick is to not put the bump stop in place until you've seated the coil and that'll give you about 3" more clearance for getting the coil back in.
Just_Josh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #65
kdawgFL
2005 WK 

Does anyone know if using 5100s up front with ome will cause axle to over droop and create any problems ?
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #66
pancake
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawgFL
Does anyone know if using 5100s up front with ome will cause axle to over droop and create any problems ?
Well potentially... But we don't have an axle in the front...

Jk. You'll probably read something about a 23" mark. This is the hub to fender measurement you're gonna wanna stay under with out a superlift kit because of geometry issues. To answer your question, more specifically, it depends on your engine, winch, bumper/gaurd setup to give an accurate assessment of whether you'd be above or below that magic number. It varies jeep by jeep.

If you stay under that you won't have any problems with droop or anything I don't believe.
Unread 05-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #67
hulikner
2008 WK 

I think it's 23.5 but could be remembering wrong. I also was told OME HD + 5100's would put you over that mark without a lot of extra weight up front (arb bumper) but with MD's it wouldn't. The OP is using HD I think so I'm curious to see his measurements after install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Well potentially... But we don't have an axle in the front...

Jk. You'll probably read something about a 23" mark. This is the hub to fender measurement you're gonna wanna stay under with out a superlift kit because of geometry issues. To answer your question, more specifically, it depends on your engine, winch, bumper/gaurd setup to give an accurate assessment of whether you'd be above or below that magic number. It varies jeep by jeep.

If you stay under that you won't have any problems with droop or anything I don't believe.
hulikner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #68
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawgFL View Post
Not sure what you mean by axle droop.

The way the OME lift coils work (and anything added to it for that matter) is by putting the suspension in somewhat of a "default" down travel. The spring rate is higher, causing the unibody to sit higher on top of them - this is the same as if you'd take a stock WK, jack it up 2", put jackstands under it, and let the tires (suspension) drop to the ground.

The problems encountered when modifying the spring lift include upper control arm ball joint stress, cv joint stress at the front axles (yes, we have axles in the front - 2 cv shafts), poor front driveshaft angles, rear axle alignment (trackbar) and depending on how much additional lift in the back it's possible to run into upper/lower control arm and sway connect length issues.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #69
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Again, I am going with the OME HD all around, adjustable 5100's up front set at 0.75", and Rustys rear poly spacers for the rear.

After all this talk, it's making me kind of wish I just went with 265's and the OME HD haha or if anything just go with my current plan except use the MD coils up front. I just looked around and seemed everybody with the Hemi recommended the HD coils. Plus, I know JeepN4KC was sitting around 22.25" up front right after lift install with the HD (he is running the 4.7L). So add the 0.75" MAXIMUM that I will get out of the struts up front, plus the extra weight of my Hemi, I feel confident I'll fall under that 23" mark. If I don't right after install, I suspect things will settle out to there. Just hoping someone agrees with me so I don't change my mind on all of this madness! haha

I did purchase some RRO UCA's since I will be in there, and to eliminate a second alignment when the stockers go out. I thought I was pretty confident in the modified OME, but almost sounds like I'm getting myself into more, especially with all these different opinions.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Unread 05-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #70
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

So talk me into sticking with my plan people!

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Unread 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #71
Clone451
2005 WK 

I got OME HD for my Hemi and I do wonder if MD might have suited better, at least for the front. On the rougher speedbumbs I sometimes find the front wheels "hanging" and wanting to "spring" from the landing. On the other hand the ride and on-road handling is much better than with the original springs.
I have no extra weight at the front.
Clone451 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #72
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone451 View Post
I got OME HD for my Hemi and I do wonder if MD might have suited better, at least for the front. On the rougher speedbumbs I sometimes find the front wheels "hanging" and wanting to "spring" from the landing. On the other hand the ride and on-road handling is much better than with the original springs.
I have no extra weight at the front.
You running modified OME or just the HD?

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Unread 05-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #73
Clone451
2005 WK 

Just the HD
Clone451 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #74
kdawgFL
2005 WK 

I currently have the 5100s sitting in abox. but after reading about the member chadwi having problems adding the 5100s to a r.c lift I have yet to get them installed. don't understand why you can add them to the OME and not a spacer lift. If I need to swap out my front spacer for an ome setup that's what I will do
Unread 05-07-2014, 05:46 PM   #75
ChiliPepperXJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawgFL View Post
I currently have the 5100s sitting in abox. but after reading about the member chadwi having problems adding the 5100s to a r.c lift I have yet to get them installed. don't understand why you can add them to the OME and not a spacer lift. If I need to swap out my front spacer for an ome setup that's what I will do
Haven't read about any of those problems, maybe somebody can chiime in here regarding that. Plenty of people have run the 5100's with the OME, so I guess I'm not quite sure why it wouldn't work with the RC.

Just waiting for someone to push me over the edge and tell me to go for it

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.