Modified OME with 26" Ome shocks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Modified OME with 26" Ome shocks?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
WieSeL

Modified OME with 26" Ome shocks?

I want to do the modified OME lift but am wondering if the regular OME rear shocks would work. I don't wanna have to get new shocks when the ones I have are basically new. What is everybody else using?

WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
WieSeL

Bump
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Check out omelets build thread.
ca07wk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
WieSeL

I already know what kind of shocks he has. I wanted to know if it was possible to run the stock OME shocks with an added spacer
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

I'm pretty sure he had the modifed OME with the OME shocks before swapping them out.
ca07wk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

If you already have them, they will be fine.

If you dont already have them, there are better options for maximizing rear travel.
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
WieSeL

Ok thanks.
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
If you already have them, they will be fine.

If you dont already have them, there are better options for maximizing rear travel.
^^^Agreed.

The only thing you'll really compromise by sticking with the OME shocks with you're proposed set-up is down travel because the rear will sit at a "defaulted down travel" position relative to the standard OME set-up.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
WieSeL

Ok. How thick is the optional trim packer kit in the ome page from RRO? I heard it was 9/16 but can't find any info anymore. I also can't find any rear spacers less than 2 inches anywhere. Any ideas?
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
jjt250
2007 WK 

I assume you're talking about the strut spacer? RROs is 9/16th I think. JBA and Rusty's makes a 1/4" strut spacer. They're all gonna yield about 1/2" of lift. I think BDS makes a 1.5" rear coil spacer but you might have to call to just order the rear part of their lift. Taking the coil isolater out and just using that coil spacer from BDS would probably give you just over 1" of lift in the back.
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
I assume you're talking about the strut spacer? RROs is 9/16th I think. JBA and Rusty's makes a 1/4" strut spacer. They're all gonna yield about 1/2" of lift. I think BDS makes a 1.5" rear coil spacer but you might have to call to just order the rear part of their lift. Taking the coil isolater out and just using that coil spacer from BDS would probably give you just over 1" of lift in the back.
How does a 9/16 and a 1/4 spacer both yield 1/2 inch when they are different sizes? Just wondering... 9/16 x 2 is 1.125 inch and 1/4 x 2 is 1/2 inch. Since they usually yield double what the plate width is...
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #12
jjt250
2007 WK 

I said they would both yield about 1/2" of lift. I highly doubt you'll notice 1/8" of lift....
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
I said they would both yield about 1/2" of lift. I highly doubt you'll notice 1/8" of lift....
Not 1/8, wouldn't it yield more like 1 inch because it usually is twice the height at the wheel than the spacer thickness? 9/16 x 2 is 1 1/8
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
Not 1/8, wouldn't it yield more like 1 inch because it usually is twice the height at the wheel than the spacer thickness? 9/16 x 2 is 1 1/8
Your steering rack and UCA/ball joints will be screaming with that set-up. You'll also need longer strut tower bolts if you're gonna stack 2x9/16" spacers up front.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
Oops made a typo, the RRO one is only 3/8" thick but they claim 9/16" lift (not sure how true that is). Either way you're not gonna notice a huge difference so you might as well just go with the cheapest one. I went with the Rusty's. Also, if you stack two, you'll need longer strut tower bolts like JeepN4KC said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.