Mod to let fogs stay in with brights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Mod to let fogs stay in with brights?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Mod to let fogs stay in with brights?

Is there any way to do this that anyone knows of? I have been able to do it with all my previous vehicles.

Black WK Club #134
clemsonscj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

I asked this 2 years ago and was told that it requires a dealer starscan, if they'll do it. Possibly it is illegal to do this in the USA, I was told. I shined the idea.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
JRLT
2010 WK 

Most states only allow four forward facing lights. So, it's either dims and fogs or dims and brights.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Back in my import days we used to run a jumper from the positive of the high beams to the positive of the fog light and the highs would provide power to the fogs
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
Most states only allow four forward facing lights. So, it's either dims and fogs or dims and brights.
I realize that but my question isn't as much on the legality, but more on the possibility.

Like on my Tacoma, there was a relay for the fogs that was engaged when the ignition was turned on. When the brights were turned on, that relay was disengaged. All you had to do was stick a piece of rubber underneath the relay tab so that it couldn't ever come down. That's kinda the ideas I'm looking for.
Black WK Club #134
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
JRLT
2010 WK 

As it was said before; gotta get a dealer to flash the computer to do that.
2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
JRLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLT View Post
As it was said before; gotta get a dealer to flash the computer to do that.
I'll try and find a way tomorrow.
Black WK Club #134
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Found the relay. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to get it working. Will be my day project tomorrow.
Black WK Club #134
Unread Yesterday, 04:56 AM   #9
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post
Found the relay. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to get it working. Will be my day project tomorrow.
You got me interested. I didn't even realize the fogs turned off with the brights. Lol I don't get to use my brights too often though

Please keep us updated
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:54 AM   #10
caulk04
2008 WK 

It would be pretty simple to add a wire from the relay feed of the high beam to the relay trigger for the fogs and that shouldn't cause any issues unless the computer monitors resistance across that circuit...

That said, since we have a four bulb low/high setup I don't see much need to leave the fogs on too. Already pulling something like 20A just with the low/fog or low/high, I don't feel like pulling more amperage for no more actual light output.

To each their own, I'm leaving mine alone.
Unread Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #11
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Turns out the relay does not change even when the highs are turned on. I measured voltage on all terminals and nothing changes when the high beams are switched on. So apparently there is some other location that the fogs are being shut off.
Black WK Club #134
Unread Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #12
bersh
2008 WK 

I did this mod on my 04 2500HD by adding a diode between the fog and high beam relays. I ran it that way for about a month and removed it as I found it reduced my ability to see as well downrange.
bersh is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.