Milton's Jeep Build - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #106
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wkman View Post
I wonder if putting Rhino Liner in the tank would help. It definately wouldn't cost as much as the skid and that stuff is way tougher than ant DIY kit that i know of. just a thought
the weight of your rig coming down on something stationary and hard like a rock- somethings got to give and rhino lining or not, its going to be your tank.

Unread 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #107
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wkman View Post
I wonder if putting Rhino Liner in the tank would help. It definately wouldn't cost as much as the skid and that stuff is way tougher than ant DIY kit that i know of. just a thought
You can put what ever you want IN your tank. For me, I'll stick with good ol' gasoline and the occasional seafoam.

On a serious note, the rhino liner might help it from scratching up the bottom of the fuel tank and maybe beef up what is there, but the only true protection would be some steel or aluminum - i.e. a proper skid plate.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #108
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch
On the bright side it'd make your gas gauge a little more accurate. The reserve on these things is a little obnoxious in my opinion.
Yeah what's up with that? My WJ was ridiculous. I haven't really stretched it out too bad after my evic says zero buts it's definitely 20 miles, at least. I guess I need to just fill it up and deduct the difference.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #109
piraterig
2004 WJ 

nice wk!!!
piraterig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #110
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by piraterig View Post
nice wk!!!
Thank you, sir! I have to say, JF has some very well put together WK builds to use as templates.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #111
JeepN4KC

Got a chance to install my 4xG belly skid today. I was hoping for an easy day but, of course, ran into snags. For starters, the install instructions that come with it - nearly worthless IMO. I had better luck lookin at what I had and crawlin under the Jeep to see how this was gonna go. Second - the hardware I got - nearly the same as the instructions. The carriage bolts that came with the kit that are used to connect the two pieces were course thread, the self locking flange nuts were fine thread - no good. The "tab" bolt receiver - I found better luck looking at other guy's install pics on JF than the instruction's wording as far as where and what to do with it.

These are the tools I used:
9/16 wrench for the "tab" bolt and carriage bolt nuts
17mm wrench for the rear mounting bolts (PITA to get to)
13mm socket for the front mounting bolts
Needle nose (screwdriver would work as well - I'll explain later)

I ran up to the hardware store to resolve the mismatch in threads between the carriage bolt and nut and this is what I got in lieu of them:
stainless steel 1"x3/8" carriage bolt (course thread), a flat washer, and matching 9/16 plastic washer locking nut

Once I got back I was able to connect the two pieces:
BTW - don't tighten these three bolts down yet.

Next I had to take out the front mounting bolts for the t-case skid and the rear mounting bolts for the oem front skid. You can reuse these so don't pitch 'em. I ended up using stainless steel bolts and washers I got while at the hardware store. This is not needed but I figured they are stronger and won't rust as readily as the zinc ones supplied with the kit. Plus, the posts on the rear oem front skid mounting bolts were shorter and I got longer ones since the belly skid slides between the back of the front skid and the suspension cross member:

I used one of my jacks as a "third arm" in order to hold the belly skid up so I could start the front two mounting bolts. You can see how the front of the belly skid fits between the rear of the front skid and the suspension member:

Once the front bolts are threaded in enough to hold, move to the rear bolts. The back lip of the belly skid slides up in front of the front lip of the t-case skid and all of this is to the front of the middle cross member. Again, just get the bolts started but don't tighten. (If you have a ratcheting wrench it would be VERY useful for the rear bolts):

The "tab" receiver slides in the larger hole on the unibody frame and the threaded part has to line up with the smaller hole as that is where the bolt threads through. The arrow is to show orientation to the front of the Jeep.
I'll just say getting the bolt threaded up through there and started into the tab is less than fun. Once it is started to thread leave it and go back to the four main mounting bolts:

Once you get the front and rear mounting bolts tightened down move to the three carriage bolts. This is where I used the needle nose pliers. A screwdriver will work as well but the pliers were closer. Use the pliers or screwdriver to apply pressure on the rounded bolt head as you tighten the carriage bolt nut. Other wise, it wants to just spin all over the place:

Once you have these three done the last thing to do is wrench down the "tab" bolt on the passenger side:

Now crawl out from under the Jeep and take a look:

I'm planning a wheeling venture for next weekend but for now I'm mostly all armored up with no place to go.

I like the fit and sturdiness of the belly skid (that thing feels bomb-proof when you have it in hand) but like I said at the start - the instructions are almost a waste of time and confusing. All in I spent the better part of an afternoon getting this badboy done but that includes a trip to the hardware store and working through what I wanted/needed to replace as far as mounting hardware. I hope I was able to help the next WK guy or gal that plans on adding this piece to their WK.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #112
JeepN4KC

I got home this morning coming off an all nighter of a shift but had plans to meet up with another Jeeper. We headed just south of here to some land that we'd been to before but when we got there this afternoon - gated and locked! No good. But I had the itch to get this thing dirty so I hit some land being developed near the house and was able to stretch the WK's legs a little and coat it with some "whoflungpoo" as my daughter and I like to call it:

Got back to the house and my wife says, "Yeah, that thing's trashed "
With a big grin she says it - knowing I had fun:

Even got the belly skid a "paint job" :

Oh, yeah, I added a couple more stickers the other day, too.
My brother said it's starting to look "Nascar."

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #113
W04J

nice looking setup there. great job

Black 08 WK Overland QDII Stock Wifes
W04J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #114
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Lookin good...mine is way to clean....needs mud.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #115
mattydipps
2006 WK 

im curious do you have a cb on your rig?
Unread 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #116
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by W04J View Post
nice looking setup there. great job
^^^ Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Lookin good...mine is way to clean....needs mud.
Thanks, Scootr. Your build has come fulltilt! Agreed, time to get it dirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
im curious do you have a cb on your rig?
^^^Matt - I do not have a CB. A handheld is probably all I'd ever use. I need to get that and some recovery gear, though.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #117
JeepN4KC

This only has to do with the WK insofar as I used the rack on top to haul the MDF I used to build this:

Started it yesterday and finished up today. It's on wheels to roll over the cat's litter box to hide it and make it hard for the dog to go in after "treats."

Anyway, this afternoon I took some measurements as I was curious to see how the rig is settling. I looked back on the build and saw I installed the OME and tires October 7 of last fall.

These were my measurements then:
F - 22.25"
Bpost - 17.25"
R - 22.25"

These are my measurements now:
F - 21.75"
Bpost - 16.75"
R - 21.5"

Since the install I've added some weight what with the skids. Not sure on the weights but rough guess:
oem front - 30#
4xG belly - 34#
oem tcase- 20#
S4XC adptr 8#
So I guess I've added maybe 90# of armor give or take.

I'm curious what other OME guys are seeing roughly 4-4 1/2 months later. I think it's safe to say the springs have settled some after getting some good use on outings and dd'ing over the last quarter.

I also just remembered as I'm typing this that I have some scrap MDF, a good sized collapsable table saw, and a compound miter in the folded down cargo.

So, I guess I'll need to update with measurements on a more everyday load in the Jeep (which is usually empty save my 12v compressor).

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #118
JeepN4KC

Got this delivered the other day:

Takes care of not having any Hi-Lift jack points. Now I just need to see if Saguaro still makes the roof rail hilift mounts. I'm still waiting to hear back from them on that. If so - I'll get myself a jack - if not - I'll rely on others.

Getting ready to go out on a wheelin venture today and hopefully all this is moot.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #119
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
Got this delivered the other day:

Takes care of not having any Hi-Lift jack points. Now I just need to see if Saguaro still makes the roof rail hilift mounts. I'm still waiting to hear back from them on that. If so - I'll get myself a jack - if not - I'll rely on others.

Getting ready to go out on a wheelin venture today and hopefully all this is moot.
I heard they weren't gonna make anymore brackets for the hi-lifts period
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #120
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3NT_WH33L3R View Post
I heard they weren't gonna make anymore brackets for the hi-lifts period
i think they completely discontinued all of their hi-lift products

i think the only mount left if the yakima ... not sure if they only work with their baskets though...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.