Milton's Jeep Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #91
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet View Post
Looks great bud! It will be nice having the extra armor down there now. Are you planning on the belly skid next?
Thanks!

As a matter of fact - I just ordered the belly skid the other day. Hoping it comes in soon because the end of this month I'm planning to get out on a good day of wheelin with some other Jeepers. Everytime I've gone out I've had a voice in the back of my head saying - "you'll be sorry you don't have skids." Luckily my trail damage has been body.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #92
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Appreciate it, thanks! I try and keep the thing clean inside and out just 'cause that's how I am - can't stand a dirty/cluttered rig. I love how it looks after a good day of wheelin but I can't help but think it's gonna rust and rot away underneath if I don't give it a good power wash after all the fun. Plus, the cleaner the rig is underneath and in the engine bay the cleaner I am after wrenching on it.
no i agree, i used to wash it every weekend now every other weekend but the interior is constantly spotless haha
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #93
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3NT_WH33L3R View Post
no i agree, i used to wash it every weekend now every other weekend but the interior is constantly spotless haha
That sounds familiar. Although I have sort of resorted to simply keeping it rinsed. We have a car wash right by the house with manual bays so I power wash it every so often to keep all the road grime/salt/mud/dirt/etc. off all the suspension and undercarriage. Once the summer hits it's not as big a deal since it's more dry weather. From time to time I give it a good spit shine inside/out including the engine bay.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #94
S1L3NT_WH33L3R
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC

That sounds familiar. Although I have sort of resorted to simply keeping it rinsed. We have a car wash right by the house with manual bays so I power wash it every so often to keep all the road grime/salt/mud/dirt/etc. off all the suspension and undercarriage. Once the summer hits it's not as big a deal since it's more dry weather. From time to time I give it a good spit shine inside/out including the engine bay.
yep, we're in the same boat
'05 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, Aries Taillight Guards, Rola Roof Rack, Cobra CB, Firestik Antennas, Magnaflow Performance Exhaust, OME HD lift, 285/70-17 GY Duratracs, Spidertrax Spacers, Superchips Programmer, Steel Armadillo Super Sliders
~Jeep makes it HEMI shakes it~Ain't Nothing Humble about that HEMI Rumble~
S1L3NT_WH33L3R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #95
JeepN4KC

According to the brown box truck tracking - my 4xGuard belly skid is due for delivery today. Of course, on par with about 80% of anything I order, I'm on duty today. Once I get it in hand I'll mount that sucker up and get some pics and details of the install. So far as I've seen on other build threads and posts I'm anticipating a relatively easy job. Keepin my fingers crossed .

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #96
paroxysym
2007 WK 

so what skids are you rocking mike? OEM tcase/fuel/front?
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #97
JeepN4KC

As it stands:
Mopar front suspension skid (which they oughtta call oilpan/front diff)
Mopar transfer case skid
S4xC t-case skid adapter.
Soon to install the 4xGuard belly skid

I decided to forego the fuel tank skid and go with the S4xC adapter for a few reasons: the fuel tank on my rig has (albeit relatively minimal protection) somewhat of a protective plate from the factory; the OEM fuel tank skid is heavy, expensive (priced out from dealer parts dept at $220 not including taxes) , and you have to drop the entire fuel cell in order to install it (major PITA from what I can tell). The adapter plate weighs about 8 lbs, costs about 80 bucks less , and is a bolt on install using two existing factory bolts.

I'd like to get the 4xG front skid and some rock rails eventually, then maybe finish off with 4xG rear guard - that would pretty much wrap up the underside in armor. For now I wanted to protect most of the essentials.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #98
paroxysym
2007 WK 

you know when you put it that way aboutthe fuel tank skid- youre right. besides from what ive noticed and from what my jeep guy tells me these fuel tanks can take a bit of a bump or two- plus they already have some type of shield on them already. but youre right they are heavy as **** and expensive. the dealer wants $235 and JFJ.com wants $200 or so and they wont ship it because its too heavy and bulky.

on a side note, they dont make authorities in a 285- kind of pissed LOL. thats my only hang up on my build, tires.
Unread 02-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #99
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Just be careful when you go wheeling without the gas tank skid. If you put the weight of the Jeep on the tank you will loose some fuel capacity! The tank was not made to be a skid which is why there is an actual Mopar skid that is sold. What you have now will not take abuse. Only gentle scraping. Just a heads up

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #100
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
you know when you put it that way aboutthe fuel tank skid- youre right. besides from what ive noticed and from what my jeep guy tells me these fuel tanks can take a bit of a bump or two- plus they already have some type of shield on them already. but youre right they are heavy as **** and expensive. the dealer wants $235 and JFJ.com wants $200 or so and they wont ship it because its too heavy and bulky.

on a side note, they dont make authorities in a 285- kind of pissed LOL. thats my only hang up on my build, tires.
^^^ So many choices it can make your head spin!

Quote:
Just be careful when you go wheeling without the gas tank skid. If you put the weight of the Jeep on the tank you will loose some fuel capacity! The tank was not made to be a skid which is why there is an actual Mopar skid that is sold. What you have now will not take abuse. Just a heads up
^^^ lol. Interesting way to put it, Nate. I know. It's a calculated risk. It's just that it's such a big area to cover. I imagine anything that looks like a punture hazard will not be traversed by my WK, so hopefully anything else would be clearable or just buckle it some. IDK - even a buckle could potentially create a pinch/crack or pinhole at the buckle point. Like I said, it's a calculated risk for sure and you're right to recommend caution............

Hey, why'd you have to go and bring that up? Now I'm starting to second guess my decision........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #101
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Just be careful when you go wheeling without the gas tank skid. If you put the weight of the Jeep on the tank you will loose some fuel capacity! The tank was not made to be a skid which is why there is an actual Mopar skid that is sold. What you have now will not take abuse. Only gentle scraping. Just a heads up
Oh i know nate, ive only wheels the WK once so i havent had it in that predicament yet. i just know that if it can take a small bump or scrap thats all it would ever take cause i dont plan on wheeling her much and any obstacles large enough to hit my gas tank- ill be placing a tire on it before it passes anywhere near the underside of my jeep...

Nate there are so many damn choices these days for tires..
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #102
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I don't think it will crack open on you, but if you come down on a rock it will get crushed and your fuel capacity will suffer. I have seen it a few times. Even with the skid I have a few dents! Not bad enough to damage the tank and loose capacity, so I am glad I have it. Like you said, it is a big area to cover and that also means it is a big area to worry about. I am hoping Asfir comes out with the fuel tank skid soon. It wont help the affordability of a skid, but the weight difference will be nice. I am not trying to convince you to buy the skid in any means! I just want you to know it isn't up to off road abuse. So depending on the type of wheeling you do, beware.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #103
07wkman
2007 WK 

I wonder if putting Rhino Liner in the tank would help. It definately wouldn't cost as much as the skid and that stuff is way tougher than ant DIY kit that i know of. just a thought
07wkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #104
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wkman
I wonder if putting Rhino Liner in the tank would help. It definately wouldn't cost as much as the skid and that stuff is way tougher than ant DIY kit that i know of. just a thought
I think it may help for scratches but if u come down hard on the tank it'll still dent, I've heard of guys looking a full gallon capacity because of a dent
Unread 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #105
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

On the bright side it'd make your gas gauge a little more accurate. The reserve on these things is a little obnoxious in my opinion.
Blue WK Club Member #32
t3kmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.