Milton's Jeep Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #46
DerekL

Sweet grill thanks for the pictures, made me decide I need to do this too! With a twist of course!

DerekL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #47
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekL View Post
Sweet grill thanks for the pictures, made me decide I need to do this too! With a twist of course!
Yeah, thanks. Like I mentioned before - I don't know if I prefer it over the chrome grill. But it was a fun project. I like the grill but not sure it fits my WK. Maybe if and when I do the bumpers/sides. A nice black finished 4xguard front skid and either plastidipped or painted wheels or black steelies and maybe it would all come together.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #48
JeepN4KC

Picked up the first in my collection of armor.
Mopar front suspension skid and Mopar t-case skid. We got our first snow of the season last night and today - nothing major - but enough to make the WK a mess and it is sitting in the garage "melting" right now. Install on the front suspension skid will have to wait for better conditions. The t-case will have to wait untill I save for the S4X adapter or I might be able to get my best bud's dad to fab something.

Also, they aren't Husyliners or Weathertechs, but I picked up some all-weather floor mats from Costco of all places. They aren't an "exact" fit but for $10 for all four it was worth throwin 'em in for the winter - just in time too!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #49
JeepN4KC

The weather got back into the 60's again (crazy) so I figured it was a good day for getting under the WK. I wanted to install the new suspension skid I picked up as well as test fit the t-case skid. Originally I was looking at ordering these from justforjeeps but the shipping cost was gonna kill me. I made a call to a local parts dept at a Jeep dealer and found I could get both skids for a little over $100 and not have to pay shipping charges. They came from the other side of MO out of St. Louis so I was able to pick them up the day after I ordered them.

The install on these is nothing special - pretty straight forward. Four 13mm bolts with washers held the stock plastic skid on so I wrenched those off and set the skids side by side to compare. The steel one is basically identical except it has a little more "lip" that protects the front diff and more of a cutout to access the oil pan drain plug:

The underside of the front end was still nasty from wheelin and with the old plate covering it even the few good power rinses I'd done didn't clean it well. So, I ran up to the wash and gave it another good power rinse before putting the new one on. This pic is pre-rinse:

This is the new plate bolted on with the four supplied 13mm bolts and washers:

I have yet to purchase the adapter from S4xC that the rear of the t-case skid bolts onto but I wanted to set it up in there to see how it fits and looks.
This skid comes with two 15mm bolts/washers that bolt into the front of the crossmember and then two 15mm nuts that wrench onto the threaded posts on the t-case skid which will come down through the adapter or OEM fuel skid if I had either:

Like I said - all very simple and straight forward install. I'm pretty excited to get started with protecting the valuables underneath the rig and even though the tcase is just test fitted, this is what it looks like with both in:

I'm looking forward to having all the armor underneath in my plans:
4xGuard front skid - Mopar front suspension - 4xGuard belly skid - Mopar t-case - S4xC adapter plate - and hopefully someday some 4xGuard slider rails.
Although - I'm anxious to see these guys with the mod/fabbed Steel Armadillo sliders.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #50
JeepN4KC

Ordered some stuff the other day off Amazon. I love that site! Lots of goodies to choose from, usually cheaper than anywhere else and free 2 day shipping with a prime membership. UPS guy was my friend today - Smittybilt 10K lb. rear hitch shackle and reciever lock.

I like the idea of having it in place and locked for a couple reasons. Obviously, having it locked for reasons of security; and keeping it on there because hopefully it would be the first thing some moron would hit if they decided to rear-end me. As a permanent recovery point of sorts, and, well they look cool.
I installed it and realized the reciever could use some touch-up and the hitch shroud or bezel or whatever you call the plastic trim piece was fading.

I decided to spruce everything up back there so I started with removing the trim piece. There are 4 "nuts" that fasten to plastic posts from the inboard side. The upper ones aren't visible in the pic and are a PITA to get to and unscrew.

As well as three tabs that the black piece snaps in place. The one in the middle is on the bumper and the ones on the sides are on the black piece between the posts.

I had some Rustoleum flat black on the shelf in the garage from the rear hitch mod and touch up on the underside of the rear-end so I gave the reciever a couple coats:

Next, I sprayed the plastic trim piece but didn't like the flat finish so I decided to use the rest of the DupliColor bedliner on it. The Rustoleum essentially bacame a primer. Omelet turned me to this stuff in one of his mods and I used it on my custom grill and rear step pad. Good stuff!

I put the finished piece back into the bumper but when I did I fastened two nuts to the bottom posts and left the upper posts alone. It still snaps in and is tight and secure so I'm not worried about it.

Lastly, I re-installed the Smittybilt and locked the reciever lock onto the rig.
I may go back with a semi or gloss finish top coat of Rustoleum if the "two-tone" look bothers me but for now I'm gonna call it good.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #51
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Great job....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #52
JeepN4KC

Thanks, Scootr! Still keepin my eye on your build BTW!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #53
mattydipps
2006 WK 

ohhhh i like the bed liner idea on the bezel .... something to thing about when i take my bumper off soon ... looking great dude !

by the way how do you like your tires ? do you do alot of off roading? how do they handle?
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #54
yetti182
2007 WK 

I want to apply that as a 3 inch border around the edge of entire jeep.
yetti182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #55
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
ohhhh i like the bed liner idea on the bezel .... something to thing about when i take my bumper off soon ... looking great dude !

by the way how do you like your tires ? do you do alot of off roading? how do they handle?
Thanks, man! I have been very happy with the performance and wear of my tires. Been wheeling about half a dozen times since I've had them and DDing in all weather conditions and have yet to be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetti182 View Post
I want to apply that as a 3 inch border around the edge of entire jeep.
Yeah, I am thinking of lining my front and rear bumpers and up the sides to the trim and fenders. I did a rough drawing of it sometime ago on the "what did you do to your WK/XK today" thread and ItsMeKO3 posted a couple a better drawings of it.

Mine:

MeKo's:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #56
JeepN4KC

Keep it movin ... nothing to see here ... just bumping my build thread with the mark of the beast.

Post # 666

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #57
Black1998ZJ
1998 ZJ 

I absolutely love lifted WK's. I might try to talk my mom into letting me get her 05 WK...
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #58
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1998ZJ View Post
I absolutely love lifted WK's. I might try to talk my mom into letting me get her 05 WK...
Yeah - it's wild how much difference it makes with a lift on these WK's. I think they should have come off the factory that way.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #59
JeepN4KC

Well it's been some time since the OME install and I had some time on my hands today to tinker, so I thought I would go through everything and retighten all the dis/connection points. Plus, I know alot of WK guys are wondering about the center nut on the strut tower and "clunks". I've noticed some moderate noise coming from particularly the front driver side and I decided to "tear" into this thing.

First things first the airbox and radiator fluid reservoir had to get moved out of the way. I also covered the resonator box inlet and the intake box because I used a dremel, cutting blade, hammer, and flathead screwdriver to "bore" out the opening to the center nut and I didn't want anything getting in my intake system that wasn't supposed to.

On the driver side there are three 10mm nuts to be removed and the entire electrical "center" can be moved enough to gain the access needed. It also helps to disconnect the main electrical bus and anything else that limits the travel of the "center". This is all the same stuff needed to gain access to the strut mounting nuts when a lift install requires dropping the whole strut cartridge.

I used the dremel to make "relief" cuts around the opening and a hammer and flathead screwdriver to basically create a rough opening large enough to get a deepwell impact socket on the center strut nut. It's not pretty and involves some pounding but that's why I called it a "rough" opening. This is all a cheater method to actually dropping the entire strut cartridge.

The mounting nuts and center strut nut all take an 18mm socket and you'll have to use a deepwell for the center nut - so you may as well use it on all of them. Airtools are very handy:

After torqueing the mounting nuts and strut tower nut down with the impact gun I sprayed the openings with a few coats of Rustoleum. The paint was still drying when I snapped these pics:

I would also recommend disconnecting the battery before starting this because you will be disconnecting and/or relocating some of the electrical stuff under the hood so I think it's better safe than sorry.
I discovered that all my mounting nuts and the center strut nut all turned slightly when I torqued them down. My sway bar brackets at the bushings tightened down a little, too. My sway links, ball joint nut at the top of the spindle and the bolts that connect the lower fork to the bottom of the strut were all solid, as well as the rear sway links. The biggest impact sockets I have are 22mm and the clevis nut is larger than that so I couldn't check that. I was on a time constraint as my girls' bus was about to drop them off from school so as far as a test drive and post tinkering report everything seems solid after a quick spin around the block.
Hope this helps somebody out there.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 01-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #60
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I did the exact same thing for mine in the engine bay. I had to cut the opening a little larger to use a socket wrench to bring those bolts down some.... Jeep looks good bro - I need to pick up a xcase skid soon, myself.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.