Milton's Jeep Build - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #496
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I think you should build you one. That'd look sick on your rig, plus it'd be really practical. I'll eventually build one for my ol' zj

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #497
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

Knucklebone? It looks sweet, the only downside is it takes up your hitch space.
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #498
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon155 View Post
I'd check the local salvage yards first. I bet you could pick one up from there for 30-50 bucks. JustforJeeps can be pretty ridiculous with their prices at times.
But I do like the build your own rear bumper/tire rack carrier idea!!
I'll check with CountyLine AutoSalvage, they usually have quality salvage parts for cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaashua View Post
Chances are if it's at the salvage yard it will be garbage too. I went through this months ago and just caved and bought a brand new one.
No way I'm payin that much for the oe spare winch set-up. I'll just leave the spare in the garage like I normally do until I need it and then it goes up top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
I think you should build you one. That'd look sick on your rig, plus it'd be really practical. I'll eventually build one for my ol' zj
It would look good and building one would be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttusqrl View Post
Knucklebone? It looks sweet, the only downside is it takes up your hitch space.
The biggest downside IMO is what they expect people to pay for it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #499
ttusqrl
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
The biggest downside IMO is what they expect people to pay for it.
True, but there was the same problem as replacing the cable (only the knucklebone is better in my opinion since it can hold any tire size)

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #500
JeepN4KC

Last few days I've noticed a rhythmic clicking that as far as I can tell is coming from the front driver side. It only occurs under load (acceleration) and between ~20 through 30 mph. Beyond 30 or a little more I hesitate to say it goes away so much as it becomes very difficult to hear if at all. Also, it doesn't occur in turns, but I don't know if that's simply because I'm not normally on the gas in turns.

Honestly, the weather has been cold - REALLY cold - and we just had a 10+ inch snow storm, so investigating it thoroughly is a difficult task.

I've set my sights on 3 things:

1. The brutally cold temps causing odd things

2. Bad cv joint/axle

3. Bad front drive shaft.

Thing is - it didn't just get cold. We've been having single digit and sub zero weather for a couple weeks now. Also, there doesn't appear to be any damage to the inner or outer cv boots and I don't notice any grease being slung around the cv shafts. As well, the rhythmic clicking seems to correlate with wheel speed, not the 3.73/1 drive shaft speed. I did replace my front drive shaft (both ends are cv's) last summer but again, the sound mirrors wheel speed so far as I can tell.

Anyway, I'm just kind of thinking out loud here and wondering if any other WK/XK folks have encountered a bad cv boot/axle/shaft. If so, does any of this ring a bell?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #501
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

I have recently discovered a similar issue but haven't found my remedy. I'm thinking extreme cold/ hoping ( only 63k miles on my wk ) but I'm eager to hear what others say.
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #502
Jaashua
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Yesterday I completed the install on my CB/antenna mount/antenna. If you refer to post #162 you can see how I modded the cubby to fit the cb - really nothing to it.

I decided I wanted to run the power directly from my battery and while I had the front wheel well liners off during the p/w job a couple days ago I noticed it was a perfect time to run the power for the cb through the firewall.

The rubber gasket/grommet for the battery that another JF member, vegose, pointed out to me was in plain sight just under the master cylinder. It is very easy to get to from the wheel well when the liner is pulled:

From behind the fuse block there is a blue ring and you can see the red/black power running through:

With the power fished through:

Now for my parts list:
Cobra 19DX IV cb
3' Firestick II w/ tuneable tip
S4xC LH antenna mount
Firestick HD stainless 3" spring
Firestick Firering 18' coax w/ mounting stud & coax termination
Workman SWR/power meter w/ 3' jumper coax

And the tools materials to use (didn't actually need the heat gun for this):
Assorted terminal kit
Solder and solder flux
Soldering iron
5' corrugated electrical conduit

First thing I did was establish power and ground:
I crimped eyelet terminals to the end of the hot and ground wires and then stuffed it in the conduit which runs back to the firewall:

Then I simply took the ground to the side of the engine bay on a preexisting gound location and used the positive post tightening bolt/nut for the hot. A quick note, my hot wire had an inline fuse from the factory. If you have a cb power wire that doesn't and you are getting power from your battery you will want to put a fuse between the battery and the cb unit:

Then I took a bit of the powder coat off the underneath of the mounting eye in order to provide a ground for the Firering connection:

Drilled the pilot holes and set the mount:

Next it was time to figure out the routing of the coax. I took the cargo floor out by pulling the plastic lift gate latch piece (it just pops off with gentle prying) and removing the two 10mm nuts - just lift the floor up from the back and out:

I decided to drill a hole through the body at the bottom of the liftgate jam:

And I ran the coax behind the trim from that hole, up the cargo floor side, under the rear driver passenger door plastic kickplate, under the driver door plastic kickplate and up behind the cubby

Then the coax termination has to be soldered into the end of the coax:

I mounted the antenna spring and antenna:

And chose a spot for the mic:

I also plugged the coax insert with some plummer's putty:

The last thing to do was take it out in an open space and tune the radio/antenna. This is where the SWR meter and jumper coax comes in. There are a multitude of videos on youtube to use for reference in regards to using an SWR meter to tune your set-up. It is trial and error and the slightest adjustments to the antenna tip will make large changes in SWR readings. The best I was able to get was ch1 SWR 1.7; ch40 SWR 1.7; ch20 SWR about 1.4. I drove down the way to the highway and stopped over at a truckstop nearby and asked a trucker if he could help me do a mic/radio check. Everything worked a-o-k. I think at some point I will shorten my coax cable length in order to get rid off the excess I have coiled up behind the dash - I found some info online that said this can be a source of higher SWR's. My SWR's are good enough not to do any damage, but definately less than ideal so I will do some more reading and tweaking to the system. For use on the trails I should be good to go.

Well, I'm probably done with the projects for a while cause the wife is, let's just say, less than thrilled that stuff keeps getting delivered to the house.

To which I just keep my mouth shut

Anyway - I hope this gives a good run through of the process for anybody wanting to do this install themselves. Until next time.........
Is there anywhere I can see these pics, that are no longer visible?
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #503
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaashua View Post

Is there anywhere I can see these pics, that are no longer visible?
Give it a few days and my photobucket account will reset.

Majority of my build is on an account that continually hits its free bandwidth limit. The pics that do show are either phone pics or the newer PB account I started.

The pics for that cb install are still available but just not right now - and I'm not gonna start paying photobucket, sorry.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #504
bhawks28
2009 WK 

haha when I was doing my front pinch weld I had saved your photos about a week before in anticipation of your photobucket account exceeding bandwidth (and sure enough, it did come the weekend when I was doing the mod.)

People definitely appreciate the extra time you take to detail your work with pics and notes
I always tell myself I'm going to take detailed pictures and post my results, but I never follow through.
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #505
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

X2^

It takes a good bit of discipline to take detailed pics during installation of new mods, and you sir do it well in both builds.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #506
BoraBora

2006 WK 

X3...your detailed install pictures really helped me when I was installing my CB and when I did my pinch welds.

Build Thread
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #507
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
haha when I was doing my front pinch weld I had saved your photos about a week before in anticipation of your photobucket account exceeding bandwidth (and sure enough, it did come the weekend when I was doing the mod.)

People definitely appreciate the extra time you take to detail your work with pics and notes
I always tell myself I'm going to take detailed pictures and post my results, but I never follow through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
X2^

It takes a good bit of discipline to take detailed pics during installation of new mods, and you sir do it well in both builds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
X3...your detailed install pictures really helped me when I was installing my CB and when I did my pinch welds.
Thanks all -

My next walk through is likely going to be replacing the driver half shaft and possibly hub assembly. I found a thread on this on JF but figure I might document the work in my build since it is going to be happening sometime in the near future.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #508
blackitout
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for taking the time to document all this. I'll be getting my xj in a week and all this will be very helpful. (Oops though this was your xj thread. I have a WK too so same goes for both)
blackitout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #509
816jared
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Thanks all -

My next walk through is likely going to be replacing the driver half shaft and possibly hub assembly. I found a thread on this on JF but figure I might document the work in my build since it is going to be happening sometime in the near future.
what day are you thinking for that? I'll help if my schedule works out
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #510
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
Thank you for taking the time to document all this. I'll be getting my xj in a week and all this will be very helpful. (Oops though this was your xj thread. I have a WK too so same goes for both)
It doesn't always get done but I try and take my time during and post up after a lot of my work - glad it's helpful for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 816jared View Post
what day are you thinking for that? I'll help if my schedule works out
Hold that thought. The red Jeep has been sitting in the garage for the past week. Yesterday, I crawled under it again and noticed I couldn't duplicate the play I had in the cv shaft. Went out last night and driving around town there was nothing coming from the front driver side - no noise, no nothing.

Maybe it's just the extreme cold.................

Anyway, I haven't even ordered parts yet and at this point I guess I need to give it some time and see what the warmer temps this week bring out in the WK. If I do end up doing the swap I can definitely let you know - extra hands are always helpful.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.