Milton's Jeep Build - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 08-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #451
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Have you ever tried http://imgur.com/? I sign in with my Google account and you can upload pictures very easily. I don't think there's any bandwidth restrictions. You can even group pictures together in "albums".

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #452
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Love the WK man, first time Ive ever really popped over to this side of the forum. Very nice rig.

Oh, and I ran a set a GY Wrangler Authorities in the past, and I dont give a damn if they came from Wally World, they were excellent tires, I would have bought them again if they made them in bigger sizes.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #453
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Love the WK man, first time Ive ever really popped over to this side of the forum. Very nice rig.

Oh, and I ran a set a GY Wrangler Authorities in the past, and I dont give a damn if they came from Wally World, they were excellent tires, I would have bought them again if they made them in bigger sizes.
It's a good place to hang out - the WK side...........and yeah, the GY AT's are without a doubt a solid tire all around.

So - today the red Jeep took a drive to bring something home:

Got a steal of a deal on a trailer off Craigslist - finally! Been on the hunt for quite some time now and my persistence paid off.

The blue Jeep will fit on this nicely and all in I should be about 1500 lbs under the 4.7's max pull.

Got some work to do on both the WK and the trailer/hitch set-up. Rear axle has brakes but the front will get them as well, need to solidify my hitch configuration, and of course install a brake controller - most likely the Tekonsha Prodigy P2............but I'll see what my research turns up.

Until next time.........................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #454
Clirry
2014 WK 

Nice trailer!
Clirry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #455
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jealous of the trailer, thats my next big purchase on down the road. Looks like itll do its job nicely!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #456
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clirry View Post
Nice trailer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Jealous of the trailer, thats my next big purchase on down the road. Looks like itll do its job nicely!
Yeah thanks - glad I found one.

Speaking of which I built some stepblocks for 35 bucks:

but as far as the WK I was able to get the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 installed today.

Very easy - just a couple more wires than a cb install.

First you need an assortment of tools and supplies:

Start by disco'ing the battery.

Little trick I use to fish the wire through the fire wall is to snip a piece of bailing wire (((longer than this pic))) and tape it to the end of your wires. I used two 5 foot 12g wires and taped the ground side with black tape at both ends to know which was which. Punch the wire tip through the rubber grommet up under the dash and grab from under the hood. If you can keep a long screwdriver pushed aginst the grommet as you pull the wire through - otherwise your grommet will unseat like mine.

Once it pulled through and length is estimated - splice in the inline 20amp fuse - I used buttend connectors on everything and ran 12g wire for power/ground:

I grounded at the chassis just forward of the fuse and connected to the hot side terminal - tidy'd everything up with conduit, electrical tape, and zip ties:

Then under the dash...............

Very gently twist the brake controller switch to unseat it:

.........and take the #2 position wire (white/tan)

.....use a scotchlock to splice into the brake switch wire with the corresponding wire from the controller harness:

I forgot to take pics but if you have the tow package you will see a green wire hanging up under the dash to the outboard side of the brake switch. That is the wire that gets spliced with the corresponding wire from your harness.

Use zip ties to tidy up behind the panel and mount the controller. I used washers on the one side to keep the controller level on the horizontal as per instructions:

Back under the hood to reconnect the battery and tuck everything in:

.......and powah:

Take it out for a spin with a trailer/trailer brakes and set up the controller.

Easy cheezy.

......until next time...............

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #457
bhawks28
2009 WK 

nice clean work. I'm going to be following your CB install this weekend
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #458
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
nice clean work. I'm going to be following your CB install this weekend
^^^ it's an install that is fairly intuitive. Run the wires, dress/conceal the wires, mounts, power, tune it in.

Not sure I like the location of the brake controller though. It's convenient as far as reaching it for controls but my right leg grazes it just below bent knee getting in/out and I don't like it. Dunno, prob just live with it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #459
05SilVer
2005 WK 

Your WK is looking great! Gives me hope to work on my WK. Keep up the good work!

05 Grand cherokee limited
OME 2" lift.
265/70r17
1.5 wheel spacers
Max Energy Hypertech
05SilVer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #460
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilVer View Post
Your WK is looking great! Gives me hope to work on my WK. Keep up the good work!
With a Jeep there's always hope..............

Got the red Jeep set-up to pull today.

Rough estimate is the XJ, trailer, and gear comes in at around 5600lbs - so not the 1500 under rated capacity I originally thought but after careful tallying - still well within the 4.7's limitations.

Used the bathroom scale method to get my tongue weight dialed in. Pretty handy thing if you have a few of the necessary things laying around the garage - I used a 2x2 box tube that was about 3.5' long and used a 3:1 ratio to calculate my tongue weight.

Weight on the scale hit 180 when I really found a sweet spot for the XJ on the trailer so roundabout 540 lbs tongue weight.

Drove it around to set the brake controller to the load and hit some curves, hills, highway, on/off ramps, stop and go. Pulls like a champ and with the tandem brake axles and Prodigy, stopping is not an issue at all.

It squats the back some when loaded but it pulls straight and smooth and is under the tongue weight, GTW, and GCVWR. So, now the only thing left to do is hit the road for some wheelin.....

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #461
bhawks28
2009 WK 

that is AWESOME. I've been looking at a few XJ's recently. Boy would I love to have one. I love the look of Jeep towing Jeep!
Unread 09-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #462
BoraBora
2006 WK 

WOW that is one SWEET XJ man.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #463
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
that is AWESOME. I've been looking at a few XJ's recently. Boy would I love to have one. I love the look of Jeep towing Jeep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
WOW that is one SWEET XJ man.

I gotta say I like my XJ - a lot. In the end it's just a street legal beater with poor road manners that can wheel like mad! :-P

Today I did another test run with the tow set up but used my 6 inch drop instead of the 10 inch I had in there - felt a little more stable, if not the same, but I'm really thinkin an 8 inch drop is gonna be the perfect inbetween.

Btw -

GO CHIEFS!!!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #464
Cherokee30D
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Today I did another test run with the tow set up but used my 6 inch drop instead of the 10 inch I had in there - felt a little more stable, if not the same, but I'm really thinkin an 8 inch drop is gonna be the perfect inbetween.
Hi JeepN4KC, I am interested to know the height of the top of the tow tongue to the ground.
Mine is 420mm in metric.

Cheers, Craig
Cherokee30D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #465
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee30D View Post
Hi JeepN4KC, I am interested to know the height of the top of the tow tongue to the ground.
Mine is 420mm in metric.

Cheers, Craig
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

Do you want to know my ground to factory hitch measurement or ground to top of ball for the 6" and/or 10" drops?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.