Milton's Jeep Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
Looks real clean dude... nicely done. Assimilate like the rest of us, and remove that airdam. lol

Thanks AJ - If I take the airdam off I'll wait 'till I get a front guard (looks stout and clean with that guard under there). I took my airdam off before, at stock height, and it looks too busy, like peices are missing or something. I don't know - maybe I should see what it looks like with the dam off and the front higher in the air. I suppose that's as gooda excuse as any to go wheelin - test the new OME and pull the airdam off so I don't trash it in case I still prefer it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
JeepN4KC

Went on a short offroad jaunt this morning. Got to test the new suspension a little, as well as the new tires. Everything seems top notch so far!
Bought a Nitto Terra Grappler 265/70/17 off a guy on Craigslist so I can have a full size spare. Did the rear hitch modification. Used an angle grinder with a metal cut-off disc to chop the bolts and the reciever tube down, then a zircomium abrasive flap disc to smooth the edges. Finished up with some black high heat enamel Rustoleum (only rustoleum I had). I aired the tire down to 10psi. Supposed to be getting an MV50 12v compressor delivered today that I will keep on hand. May see about mounting it somewhere under the hood.

It's a tight fit but it works:

Tucks right up in there:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
meep
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
...These are easy to put on. Don't forget the locktite on the hub lugs and just make sure you have a torque wrench
on hand and use it to set torque on all 10 lugs per wheel. Take your time and make sure to torque every lug the same and use the star pattern. There are a lot of lugs being torqued so rushing things might cause you to inadvertantly forget to tighten one (this could be catastrophic).
I set all mine at 90-100 ft-lbs. I used the needle type torque wrench so I listed a range. Friday I will have access to the "click" type torque wrench and I will re-torque everything to 95 ft-lbs. The spacers say to set at 80-90 but a didn't figure the extra 5 lbs would hurt and I won't have to reset everytime I go from spacer to wheel lugs on each corner.
After install I drove around the block and later ran an errand to the store. I notice the wider stance gives the steering a little "tighter" feel. Other than that everything seems a-ok....
Describe "tighter." Do you mean the wheel takes a little more effort to move, like the jeep insists more on going straight? or more like it is less prone to wander in the lane?

Love following your thread! sounds awesome!
meep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
JeepN4KC

meep:

By "tighter" I mean the rig wants to go straight. It seemed like the steering took more effort. I don't mean to say it felt like the steering pump went out. It just felt less loosy goosy. It could have just been a placebo effect, but, it felt as though when I went to turn there was more inertia pushing straight ahead. I wonder if anyone else felt the same when they put spacers on. Anyway, thanks for following the thread - it's been fun putting everything together and I hope someone out there finds it helpful.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Aren't you glad that the Nitto is worn, otherwise it wouldn't fit. I am looking at those tires as well for my TJ $150 each pretty good for a 31-10.5-15. Are you happy with them so far?
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #21
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
Aren't you glad that the Nitto is worn, otherwise it wouldn't fit. I am looking at those tires as well for my TJ $150 each pretty good for a 31-10.5-15. Are you happy with them so far?
Yeah, the Nitto is worn, quite unevenly infact. The local tire shop that swapped the stock spare w/ this one said they had to put alot of weight on the rim to balance it. But it was cheap - and it will serve it's purpose well (which hopefully its purpose goes no further than either right where it is or if I throw it on top). I would really like to get another GY Authority to put under there before my first rotation and mix it in. After sqeezing the half-tread, deflated to 10 psi Nitto - I don't know.
I got my MV50 12v compressor delivered the same day I did the hitch mod - so it's in the back ready to go if or when needed. I let the air out on my front driver down to 10psi and used it to air back up - good to go!
So far I really like the tires I went with. I've only had them for a week so performance wise the jury's still out - but I have no complaints at this point.
The little bit of off-pavement they've seen they grabbed the dirt and rock pretty readily. We haven't had any rain in the KC metro area in goin on like 6 weeks so I don't know what they do on wet pavement or the mud. The snowy season should be interesting come winter. Hopefully we get the snow we've had around here the last few winters and I get to play around.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #22
Eurotrash
2005 WK 

How do you like those Goodyear authorities now you have put some miles on them? Im thinking about getting a set.
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #23
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
How do you like those Goodyear authorities now you have put some miles on them? Im thinking about getting a set.
Love 'em. They've seen everything but rain and snow. I don't imagine either will give them any trouble.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #24
Eurotrash
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC

Love 'em. They've seen everything but rain and snow. I don't imagine either will give them any trouble.
Good to hear. Im pretty set on these.
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #25
roguezj
1998 ZJ 

your jeep has such a great stance; i love the spacers, lift and tires combo you're running. seriously, what a head-turner! keep up the great work and good luck!
roguezj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #26
JeepN4KC

The only real mod I did since the hitch is take my airdam off. My older daughter and I got a chance to go down to KS Rocks this weekend with my uncle and cousin. The white TJ is thier ride. The park is only about 90 miles south of us. For anybody that is able to go there I would recommend checking it out. The main loop is for everybody and then they have the rest of the trails marked green (intermediate), blue (moderate), black (expert). Lots of rocky obstacles, good climbs and descents, tight trails to challenge the driving skills. Really got a chance to put the WK to the test. We were able to tackle some awesome runs. One thing I noticed with the WK is that a spotter is very helpful. We would stop and pick our lines on climbs and descents, but it is tough to see over or around the front.

This could probably be in another thread, but it's my build thread so I put it here. For anyone thinking of a similar set-up or tires, the OME suspension is the real deal, the spacers give it solid, wide stability, and I am very pleased with the performance of the GY Authorities.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #27
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

well i know what lift im going with that looks amazing ill be putting 265 70 17 falken rocky mountain ats on my stock height wk this friday
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #28
JeepN4KC

Added some personality today:
DTOM, GLK, WK, and a Molon Labe in transit.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #29
ItsMeKO3
2007 JK Wrangler 

I like the WK sticker. Get that online?
Unread 11-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #30
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3 View Post
I like the WK sticker. Get that online?
Yup. cafepress. They also have one that's black with white letters that I ordered. Only 4 bucks + shipping.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.