Milton's Jeep Build - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #256
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

SMOOR in Sept for Jeep Stock?

Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #257
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
SMOOR in Sept for Jeep Stock?
I was looking at this the other day since I remembered you mentioning it a while back. Really wanna make this event. Is it for MWJT Club members only? 'Cause on SMORR's calendar it notes "private event" and on MWJT's sign-up it asks for member username and login.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #258
JeepN4KC

Checked all the fluids, tire pressures, and racked the spare. Loaded up with the "wheelin checklist" I put together some time ago.

Popped the Superchip in the OBDII and put the MileageXS tune to it.

The Colorado Rockies are a good jog from my parts so I can use all the mpg's I can squeeze
outta the WK. S'pose the spare on the roof isn't the best for fuel econ but it's a convenient & out of the way spot relative to the stock well or interior.

Originally planned to try and pull the XJ out west for its maiden voyage - but I just rebuilt the rear diff (complete with an Aussie locker ) the other day. I didn't know if I was gonna get it done before the trip so I ran out of time to arrange a dolly or lightweight trailer. Plus, I wasn't hip on the idea of pulling the XJ w/ the WK for the first time all the way across 2anahalf states just to realize I wasn't keen on the set-up. I'll save that trial for a closer trip.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #259
Static83
2014 JK Wrangler 

I think the poor WK is missing the trails lately. How much more capable does the XJ seem to you? I've been thinking of getting an XJ myself, but really do love my WK and dont want to leave it in the garage. My Wife has an XJ already but wont let me beat it up. I like it, but its just not as nice to drive especially when its hot outside. The A/C is crap compared to my WK. Especially with the rear a/c and passengers.
Unread 08-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #260
JeepN4KC

^^^ Yep - lol...............the WK is definately missin the trails - and so am I. My XJ has tons more clearance underneath and the SFA gives it way more flex with all four tires still on the ground. I'm interested in comparing the locked rear of the XJ and it's 4x4 set-up vs. the QTII of the WK. Only time will tell how it compares to the WK on the trails - my guess and based on past observation is it'll far outwheel the WK. Road manners the WK has the XJ beat hands down but that's kind of a moot point since I did't get the XJ for the road manners.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #261
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I was looking at this the other day since I remembered you mentioning it a while back. Really wanna make this event. Is it for MWJT Club members only? 'Cause on SMORR's calendar it notes "private event" and on MWJT's sign-up it asks for member username and login.
It is a club event. I will send you over all the stuff if you want to go. I cant wait to take the TJ there. PM me your email address and I will send everything over to you. It is not too bad for an awesome weekend.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #262
JeepN4KC

Okay - we got back in to the homestead tonight and figured I'd slap a few pics of the trip I snapped on the cell cam. Had an amazing time in CO and when I get all the photos together I'll post up a better trip report in my thread. The last shot is my aunt&uncle (TJ folks) and our Jeeps @ the summit of Santa Fe Peak trail which is about a 5 mile switchback climb that tops out on a ledge wrapping up to 13,180 feet! Pretty bad@$$ for us flatlanders!

forumrunner_20120812_224921.jpg

forumrunner_20120812_224951.jpg

forumrunner_20120812_225027.jpg

We did a handful of trails over the weekend and already cannot wait to get back out there.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #263
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

Great pics dude!! You got bit by the CO bug!ha
2007 Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition: 4.7L V8- QTII- Green- Mopar Recovery Hooks Front/Rear- 2in Rough Country lift- 265/70/17 Cooper discover AT3's- 1in BORA wheel spacers- Rola roof basket with extension- F-150 Monroe load levelers- Putco window vents- plasti-dipped wheels- Stillen rotors and pads- solid diff cover- N Dure tail light guards
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #264
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvenrick View Post
Great pics dude!! You got bit by the CO bug!ha
Oh yeah.........been to CO a handful of times - this was one of the coolest trips out there so far. Photobucket is beeing a SLOW PITA so I'm still tryin to get more trip pics posted. In the middle of changing the oil, filter, cleaning the air filter and getting the rig cleaned up and back in DD form.

Another quick shot:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #265
JeepN4KC

I got all the pics loaded into Photobucket so I'll go ahead and start a trip report. Lots of pics were taken by my daughters, my uncle, my cousin, and myself - and I think the best way to post up in my thread will be by individual trail.

Overall, we spent 36 hours in the WK from beginning early Thursday to end back home Sunday evening and all the trails in between. Traveled 1,575 miles all in - and for the trip out there and back I logged all my gallons and miles and averaged 19.6 mpg's Pretty sweet. This was with the spare on top, all the extra gear and tools I take, my daughters and my own luggage for the trip, and the 3 of us. The SC tune I used for the drive was the MileageXS and the octane was either 85, 87, or 89 - whatever was available, and the cruise was set to 70mph for the most part.

Couple pics from my 7YO's view on the climb out of Denver up into Dillon:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #266
JeepN4KC

Chihuahua Gulch

The first trail we did was Chihuahua Gulch. This is about a 5 mile round trip up and back trail with a few water crossings and some mildly challenging spots but is listed in Funtreks as a moderate trail.

Towards the beginning of the trail:

Up to the first water crossing:

A cool spot about halfway to stop and marvel:

And the top - about 12,500' if I remember above timberline for sure:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #267
JeepN4KC

Coming back down the views are a bit more spectacular since it's right in front of you:

Through another water crossing:

An interesting moguled/timbered "bridge" crossing:

Almost back down:

This was actually somebody's front yard - we had a good lookin blood hound follow us a bit from here. Probably chasing us off

And back at the beginning regrouping for the next trail:

Chihuahua Gulch proved to be a beautiful trail that should be on anybody's checklist if you're in the area. A couple spots were a fun challenge and tested the flex of the OME WK - but generally a relaxing wheel. That's all I have time for right now - I'll be back to post up the next run: Santa Fe Peak trail.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #268
JeepN4KC

Santa Fe Peak

The next trail we did was Santa Fe Peak trail. From our regrouping spot we went up the road to Montezuma, a small town in the valley just up from Keystone. This is a 4.9 mile switchback climb that takes you well above timberline (trail summit is 13,180ft) and offers some great views at the top. It is rated as a moderate trail in Funtreks and has some tight switchbacks, steep rocky climbs, and narrow ledges - up and down is about a 10 mile trail.

We never saw any trail signage or markers other than to take a left at the first stop sign you come to in Montezuma:

Then start making way up the switchbacks:

Once out of the treeline the climbing kicks up a notch:

This about halfway up:

Then more climbing:

Some of the wildlife:

Finally wrapping a gradual left around a ledge to the top:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #269
JeepN4KC

The trail appeared to go further but it wasn't described as such in our trail book and some stormy weather looked like it was moving towards our spot so we headed back down:

View from the driver seat:

And out the driver window from the ledge looking back at Webster Pass:

Back down through the rocky, steep switchbacks:

I stopped on the way down this section to move a good size rock that was gonna do some damage and when I opened the door it flew open and bent the crap out of it when it was stopped by other rocks Was able to bend it back like it never happened and erased the only trail damage of the entire trip :

The bottom of that section had a nice spot to eat lunch at the switchback so that's what we did:

Then back on the trail for the rest of the descent. This is a little lower than our lunch spot looking down accross the valley and to Montezuma:

And from back outside Keystone Village on the way to the condo:

Santa Fe Peak trail is an awesome climb to the top and has some great views up and down above the timber. The view from the switchbacks below treeline are limited as the timber is pretty dense. Definately a cool ride!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #270
JeepN4KC

Deer Creek Trail

The next day we got an early start and hit the mountains to run Deer Creek, Saints John. This is a 12.2 mile loop trail (technically 2 trails) with a moderate rating, lots of sidetrips and the entire trail is loaded with amazing views. It offers some great rocky switchbacks and long, steep climbs as you basically climb along the mountain ridges.

A drive up through Montezuma and into the timber is how this trail begins:

The trail takes a little bit of climbing to open up to great scenery:

Once above treeline we took a little detour up to the top of Radical Hill. This is the shorter, easier route to the views from Radical - the difficult rated route comes up the other side:

This rocky hole was where the mountain goats we saw take shelter from the cold winds - it was freezing the morning we were on the top of Radical:

The cold winds drove us back to the Jeeps and we headed toward several steep sections winding to Middle Fork of Swan River and the rest of Deer Creek:

Then up to Glacier Ridge. Awesome steep climbs, wildlife, and views:

Mountain goats with Glacier Ridge in the background:

Looking across the way to Brekenridge from the ridge:

Then continuing past the divergence of North Fork of Swan River/Saints John trails:

We took the Saints John trail to loop back and this is the view looking across the climb from leaving Glacier Ridge:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.