Milton's Jeep Build - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #226
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
definitely miss my XJ, and the aftermarket for them and options are so cheap and pentiful. if i can buy my old xj back sooner or later i may have to jump on that.... you do have a pretty stout WK, so why mess with perfection? lol
You, sir, are too kind.................

Yeah - the aftermarket on the XJ is leaps and bounds ahead of the WK.

I do like tinkering with and taking the WK on the trails.

Funny.............all the choices we Jeepers have............they all involve spending more money

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #227
JeepN4KC

Been a busy weekend. Yesterday my daughter and I went down to KS Rocks with the uncle and cousin for some wheelin. We hit a couple passes that I'd scoped out times before but never tried. Good day of wheelin!

My daughter was the photographer and she did a nice sequence here:

That climb gave me a bit of a rug burn underneath:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #228
JeepN4KC

Some more pics:

This gave me an idea of what black rims might look like:

"Dad, I got a good shot of your tires coming down," she tells me

This washed out gulley was the same one that got me last time we were there. It's gotten worse and this time even the TJ couldn't manage it. Mind you, he's locked f/r and has much better BFG m/t tires than my GY A/Ts. In fact, that TJ is unbelievably capable. But the winch had to be deployed - hey - it's not Jeepin if you don't get stuck once or twice.

Had to move a tree outta the way from the trail:

The youngins always want to go find "the elephant tree" so I thought this pic would be funny. This tree literally grew sideways like this - it's a live tree, not fallen.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #229
JeepN4KC

Last but not least, after my wife and I talked about it a few weeks back, we decided to start looking for a trail rig that could get dinged up without worries. Well, today I went and bought a new toy:

2001 XJ with 4.5" Rough Country lift, 33s, cb, rear locker, custom bumper/bullbar.
Found it on Craigslist and it was just too good to pass up. I'm not sure what this means for the WK yet as the XJ will be a dedicated trail rig that will be streetable for runnin around town. If it'll do it, the WK will become the tow rig. I'll have to beef up the rear with LL's or airbags, and get a brake contoller. Course, I'll need to find a good used trailer as well. But, I really don't want to get rid of the WK - not just yet - it's too fun. I told my wife it could be her trail buggy as it'll do way more than she would ever try. But god bless a good woman for bein on board with her husband's Jeep addiction.

jeep-xj.jpg  

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #230
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

Congrats dude. The WK pics look GREAT, and I can't wait to see the xj in action!!
2007 Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition: 4.7L V8- QTII- Green- Mopar Recovery Hooks Front/Rear- 2in Rough Country lift- 265/70/17 Cooper discover AT3's- 1in BORA wheel spacers- Rola roof basket with extension- F-150 Monroe load levelers- Putco window vents- plasti-dipped wheels- Stillen rotors and pads- solid diff cover- N Dure tail light guards
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #231
diver110
2009 WK 

Great pix, though I could not get them to expand on my Ipad.
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #232
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvenrick View Post
Congrats dude. The WK pics look GREAT, and I can't wait to see the xj in action!!
Thanks, dude. I'll have to post up some pics of the XJ once I get some time and routine maintenance items knocked out. Probably will put them over on the Cherokee Non-technical Forum. I started a build thread over there - "Milton's Other Jeep Build" ......................
It's already modified beyond stock but there is always something to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
Great pix, though I could not get them to expand on my Ipad.
Yeah - my daughter does a pretty decent job with the camera.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #233
JeepN4KC

Sometimes it's the little things. We had some pretty good thunderstorms roll through overnight that dumped some rain on us (finally - it's been a while which is rare in these parts this time of year). Didn't have the Jeep in the garage so it got "washed." This morning leaving the driveway I heard some gurgling in the A post and noticed a bit of water seeping from this spot:

So I needed to get into it to find the culprit - which was undoubtedly a clogged weep hole or drain tube.

A 10mm deep well with 1/4" drive fits right up in the two holes to remove the two bolts in the A post trim:

And I thought the solid black tube with the inline connectors was the drain tube:

But after taking the passenger side off I realized it was the corrugated line that's the drain tube.

I poured water in the front of the drain resevoir for the sunroof and the driver side drained straight through. Not so much with the passenger side.
Figured what I heard and saw was the result of all the water pooling to the driverside that drains and basically overwhelming the drain.

So I took an air compressor with a rubber nipple type nozzle and got it into the drain hole best I could:

After hitting it with the compressed air I poured water in the drain and it ran right through. Problem solved It's not rocket science obviously but when I noticed it this morning I was reminded of a Honda Accord I had in college that the drain holes for the sunfoor got clogged. I found out one morning on my way to take finals for a probability and statistics class (almost ironic). Backing out of the drive a got what seemed like a half gallon of water poured down my back .

I didn't want that to happen again.

I also finished washing all the weekend off of, underneath, and out of the WK:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #234
BlackedOutWK
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Sometimes it's the little things. We had some pretty good thunderstorms roll through overnight that dumped some rain on us (finally - it's been a while which is rare in these parts this time of year). Didn't have the Jeep in the garage so it got "washed." This morning leaving the driveway I heard some gurgling in the A post and noticed a bit of water seeping from this spot:

So I needed to get into it to find the culprit - which was undoubtedly a clogged weep hole or drain tube.

A 10mm deep well with 1/4" drive fits right up in the two holes to remove the two bolts in the A post trim:

And I thought the solid black tube with the inline connectors was the drain tube:

But after taking the passenger side off I realized it was the corrugated line that's the drain tube.

I poured water in the front of the drain resevoir for the sunroof and the driver side drained straight through. Not so much with the passenger side.
Figured what I heard and saw was the result of all the water pooling to the driverside that drains and basically overwhelming the drain.

So I took an air compressor with a rubber nipple type nozzle and got it into the drain hole best I could:

After hitting it with the compressed air I poured water in the drain and it ran right through. Problem solved It's not rocket science obviously but when I noticed it this morning I was reminded of a Honda Accord I had in college that the drain holes for the sunfoor got clogged. I found out one morning on my way to take finals for a probability and statistics class (almost ironic). Backing out of the drive a got what seemed like a half gallon of water poured down my back .

I didn't want that to happen again.

I also finished washing all the weekend off of, underneath, and out of the WK:

hmmmm so thats why mine leaks! lol someday when im not feeling lazy i will have to fix it! thanks for the details/pics.
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #235
paroxysym
2007 WK 

nice pics mike, i see the the skids got a bit of a workout this past trip. you got the undercarriage of that thing covered nicely.

congrats on the XJ- love those things. cant wait to buy mine back.
Unread 06-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #236
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice XJ! We did almost the same thing. Once the body damage started racking up on the Commander, the wife had no problem with me getting a trail rig.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #237
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutWK View Post
hmmmm so thats why mine leaks! lol someday when im not feeling lazy i will have to fix it! thanks for the details/pics.
Well - the first time water dumps down your back oughtta be motivation enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
nice pics mike, i see the the skids got a bit of a workout this past trip. you got the undercarriage of that thing covered nicely.

congrats on the XJ- love those things. cant wait to buy mine back.

Thanks - and yes the skids did their job that day! The XJ will be an interesting adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Nice XJ! We did almost the same thing. Once the body damage started racking up on the Commander, the wife had no problem with me getting a trail rig.
I was really surprised when my wife was the one to start pointing me in the direction of used Cherokees I do love her so..........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #238
JeepN4KC

Been a while since I posted anything in my build so I'm gonna shamelessly plug it here with a bump...................

I did some driving around the metro yesterday doin stuff with the KC Jeep Club and Northland Jeepers Group. We got together and did some trail cutting in the morning before the heat set in. (It's been pretty brutal temp/humidity wise around these parts for the last week - consistant triple digits AND humid = suck). Then into downtown for a club meeting.

I should have shot some pics of the trail cut but didn't have my phone on me. Pretty cool - got to get off the pavement and into the woods and threw it in 4lo for a bit which is always fun. But, thought I'd post what the SC did for me mileage wise. These miles were a combination city, highway, a/c, no a/c:

Not bad IMO - not the best I've gotten but not bad.
This is running the 87 tune with 87 octane in the tank.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #239
JeepN4KC

I've been cherry pickin the WK sub-forums lately bacause I've been spending most my time over on the XJ side of things here and on NAXJA. But - I thought I'd throw out an update of what I've been doin with the WK.

Today I used it as a tire hauler to take the XJ's rears to get get swapped. I can only get two old tire/rims and 2 new tires in the back, plus I only have two jack stands - so it's gonna have to be two at a time:

I've been doin alot of body work, renewing the wheels, and general maintenance to the XJ and this is how it sits as of this afternoon:

I'm working on aquiring a car dolly and the WK will become my tow rig. Don't know that it will get wheeled much - if any - from here on. But - I can't wait to hook up the XJ behind the WK - that will be a Kodak moment

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #240
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Damn dude those rubbers were toast
2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.