Milton's Jeep Build - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 05-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #211
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

nice write-up and pics

Did you just put one on the rear or both diffs?

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #212
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 99TJ View Post
nice write-up and pics

Did you just put one on the rear or both diffs?
Thanks dude! Just the rear diff. I don't know of a need for a front diff aftermarket cause the front diff isn't exposed - it's tucked under the front suspension skid.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #213
tuffnutz70
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Mike...I've seen ya around town a time or two. I live just down the road from ya...well kinda! LOL I am with KC Jeep Club as wheel, although I haven't been very active as of late. Been busy! I work for the city and also currently working on my EMT, then on to Fire science. Anyways...I would love to meet up and chew the fat. As of right now I am wheeling a 94 ZJ on 31's so kinda fit into more of your group than most of the guys in the club now. Are you planning the trail clean up run at KSRocks next sat?
tuffnutz70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #214
JeepN4KC

^^^ Cool - PM sent.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #215
JeepN4KC

I've been doin some playin around with the tape measure and a jack to get an idea of what it would look like to throw a 3/8" RRO strut plate on my front (advertised to yield roughly 9/16" lift) and a Rusty's 2" poly spacer in the rear (which I've read will yield around 1.25-1.5" of lift).

I like the look of a little more rake and supposedly there is room on the strut mounting bolt threads to zip the nuts down (although looking under the hood I question that). If there wasn't room and I had to disassemble the strut cartridge to pop longer bolts in there I would just as soon put 2 Rusty's .25" strut plates for basically 1" of bump up front.

Either way I'd say 285's would nestle right in there. 295's maybe but I really don't want to lug the 4.7 too much.

Right now this is a wish list but I really think I'll do this by year's end.

Gotta keep sweet talkin the wife

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #216
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Oh I smell another Modified OME lift member on the horizon

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #217
Eurotrash
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
Is there anything special that needs to be done to correct driveline issues when doing all that?
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #218
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Yeah buddy! For now I'm in the process of putting together a good recipe but your nose is correct............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
Is there anything special that needs to be done to correct driveline issues when doing all that?
So far as I know a rear adjustable tracbar is needed to "reset" the driveshaft/rear axle to center as far as side to side. That is pretty much it aside from longer sway links f/r (but that isn't really drive-line related).
I would guess some longer uppers/lowers in the rear would help but I haven't seen anybody with a modified OME needing them. I think with longer control arms it would mean a driveshaft spacer?

I've not heard of anyone having issues with pinion angles with a stacked OME.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #219
JeepN4KC

My brother did most the work on this yesterday while I was on duty. He snagged a couple scrap pieces of 1/8th inch steel and scabbed them over the voids covering the oil pan and the front diff. Today I primed and painted it:

forumrunner_20120513_160539.jpg

I like this solid configuration more than the way it was for obvious reasons. The skid has to be removed anyway in order to change the oil or service the diff so eliminating access only means nothing jamming up in the front end.

Gotta get back to making my wife and mom a great Momma's day dinner................;-)

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #220
JeepN4KC

Back in January I posted up the install of a rear recovery/hitch bezel "clean-up" and I made this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I like the idea of having it in place and locked for a couple reasons. Obviously, having it locked for reasons of security; and keeping it on there because hopefully it would be the first thing some moron would hit if they decided to rear-end me. As a permanent recovery point of sorts, and, well they look cool.
Well I've used it for recovery purposes a few times and yesterday the other part of my comment came full circle. Some old geezer was backing out of his spot at Lowe's and rams right into my back end - the first and only thing he hit was the hitch shackle.............

I knew it was a good idea to leave it on.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #221
jester1415
2007 WK 

Well played sir, well played. 👍
jester1415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #222
JeepN4KC

Last Friday we had to have a crew come out and take down a massive trunk shute that was splitting away from the main trunk of one of our Hackberry trees. It was basically about to break off and destroy half our house.

So, I spent the last couple days turning this:

Into this:

The WK spent the last few days being modded and converted into a workhorse and brush hauler :

Because of this sizable and unexpected expenditure my plans for bumping the
OME and new meats has been dramatically affected. It had to be done but I couldn't help but think as they were doing their work Friday afternoon that they were stealing my new tires budget!

Come on overtime

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #223
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Still like the look of your OME and 265s mike, def a nice combo. i keep telling myself stick to that configuration when its time to buy tires- but i see a lifted JK on 35s or a XJ on 33s and tell myself, F it.. 33s it is.

keep up the good work, has your rear bumper or hitch trim faded after the bedliner? im looking at doing that this weekend or the next.
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #224
JeepN4KC

^^^ Thanks dude! The bedliner hasn't faded but it is peeling a little from the hitch bezel. I didn't do anything to prep it other than clean it. I think one of my last wheelin trips is what started it peeling between some scraping the back end and too much pressure washer trying to clean it. The rear step though is fine.

As far as tires - 33's are very appealing to me (285/70's) along with modifying the OME. But my last post showed the wrench that got thrown into those plans.

I actually looked at another XJ yesterday. Really considering going that route and calling the WK build good. I'm on the fence - continue w/ the WK or shift to building up an XJ that can be had for pretty cheap. Momma's on board either way but would be happier if I chose the XJ route and made that toy my hobby.

Who knows..........

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #225
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
^^^ Thanks dude! The bedliner hasn't faded but it is peeling a little from the hitch bezel. I didn't do anything to prep it other than clean it. I think one of my last wheelin trips is what started it peeling between some scraping the back end and too much pressure washer trying to clean it. The rear step though is fine.

As far as tires - 33's are very appealing to me (285/70's) along with modifying the OME. But my last post showed the wrench that got thrown into those plans.

I actually looked at another XJ yesterday. Really considering going that route and calling the WK build good. I'm on the fence - continue w/ the WK or shift to building up an XJ that can be had for pretty cheap. Momma's on board either way but would be happier if I chose the XJ route and made that toy my hobby.

Who knows..........
definitely miss my XJ, and the aftermarket for them and options are so cheap and pentiful. if i can buy my old xj back sooner or later i may have to jump on that.... you do have a pretty stout WK, so why mess with perfection? lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.