Milton's Jeep Build - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #196
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WKinPA View Post
That's a cool battle scar on the roofline. Gives it character! Looks like it could have been much worse without the smart recovery technique.
Yes - it most def would have been worse because I would have had to just scrape my way by/off the tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
dude you wheeled that thing HARD.... do i smell a bandaid in your future ?!? lol
A band-aid? Maybe - as long as the Jeep isn't bleeding right...........lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 99TJ View Post
Just Empty Every Pocket
The first time I heard that acronym I laughed my arse off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutWK View Post
i have those same caps...lol they will be orange before no time. i have to paint mine constantly because they chip and the orange shows through, don't ask me why i haven't got new ones yet!
Orange!? Say it ain't so.........that won't look good. It'll look like I have earplugs on my valve stems

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #197
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Those were some NICE pics dude. That wheeling looked really fun too. Love to see people wheeling the piss out of there WK. You need to get yourself a diff cover/guard and some rock rails!
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #198
JeepN4KC

^^^ Thanks man! Ordered a diff cover from Solid Axle Industries the other day.

Now the rockrails are gonna take some time............

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #199
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mark your calendars and take your vacation day(s) because it's time again to plan for an exciting weekend in the woods.. Time to pull out those old bell bottoms you’ve been saving for just the right occasion.

Midwest Jeepthing is excited to present our Premier Event, Jeepstock 2012 at Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch in Seymour, MO for the second year in a row. Nobody has forgotten how great 2011 was and now we have had a year to better it.. You won't want to miss out. This year’s event will be September 13-16!! That's right... We are including Thursday this year so you can get four days of wheeling in if desired.

This is offered as an all-inclusive weekend featuring guided trail rides Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Camping Friday and Satuday night. Meals including Saturday and Sunday regular breakfast, Saturday and Sunday lunch, and Saturday steak dinner. We will have a DJ and Karaoke Saturday night. Bon-fires both Friday and Saturday night. Games for Jeepers and for the kiddos. There will be a raffle with prizes from various sponsors.

We have broken it down as much as possible to accommodate those that can only come for a partial weekend.

Last year we got really close on food, so I am going to have to be stricter about the end of registration. If you signed up late last year, please do not think that is going to work as well this year.

More info will come as it unfolds, so keep an eye out..

Note the early registration incentives listed on page one of the registration forms which can be found:

http://www.midwestjeepthing.com/JS12Reg.doc
http://www.midwestjeepthing.com/JS12Reg.pdf

Registrations and payment can be brought to the monthly meetings, emailed or mailed in.

Hey man, you should come to this.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #200
JeepN4KC

That right there sounds like a great time. This is open to all other Jeepers and clubs? Cause I can pass this on to my KCJC president if so.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #201
JeepN4KC

Well for once the guy in the brown truck delivers when I'm home. It went from his hands to my hands so I have to show-off.

This thing weighs in at 10+ lbs and shouldn't be peeling of the diff flange from anything:

I took some of the Rustoleum touch-up paint and added I little somethin to make it pop:

Tomorrow I'll have to get a couple allen sockets to complete the swap-out.

I'll report back once it's installed - probably do a little write-up on the rear diff service since it's essentially what I'llbe doing.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #202
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

I like that cover, man. That thing is the Triple Classic of Diff Covers.
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #203
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
I like that cover, man. That thing is the Triple Classic of Diff Covers.
Yeah, dude! I'd seen a couple other WK guys talking about 'em and putting them on a while back and I liked them - they seemed exactly what the name says, "solid." Well after holding it in hand it is exactly that!

At $65 I think it's good peace of mind.

(beware of shipping charges though - about 16 bucks for me)

Oh, and btw, AJ: nice avatar

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #204
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Yeah, dude! I'd seen a couple other WK guys talking about 'em and putting them on a while back and I liked them - they seemed exactly what the name says, "solid." Well after holding it in hand it is exactly that!

At $65 I think it's good peace of mind.

(beware of shipping charges though - about 16 bucks for me)

Oh, and btw, AJ: nice avatar
Yeah, I saw it on Crickets WK, and Thought man that's thing's SRS BNS. My only caution for people installing these is to make sure you do not overfill that diff.

I changed it for you, dude! lol.
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #205
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Oh very nice! It sucks that no one makes one for use 12 bolt guys I will probably end up having to make my own. At least I have the 4xG cover, I have put that thing to use a few times now! Worth every penny

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #206
BlackedOutWK
2007 WK 

love my solid diff cover! only problem is it's already rusted, i just put it on back in december i think. might want to consider painting it before you install it.
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #207
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

You could just give it a few thick coats of clear.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #208
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Oh very nice! It sucks that no one makes one for use 12 bolt guys I will probably end up having to make my own. At least I have the 4xG cover, I have put that thing to use a few times now! Worth every penny
I think we got lucky.... If this wasn't the same cover used on other Jeeps... We'd probably ONLY see the 4xG diff guard.
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #209
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
You could just give it a few thick coats of clear.
Heading out the door to get some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ

I think we got lucky.... If this wasn't the same cover used on other Jeeps... We'd probably ONLY see the 4xG diff guard.
Def got lucky. I like the 4xG diff cover but the Solid cover is much cheaper.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #210
JeepN4KC

Rear diff cover swap/service

I got the rear diff cover swapped today so I'll show a run down of the process. Anyone that's done this before knows what I mean when I say DO NOT pay a shop or dealer to do this! It is very easy and requires about 2 hours or less and some simple tools.

First thing I did was heed some good advice and hit the cover with 4 coats of clear in hopes to avoid premature rusting:

Then I assembled my supplies:

Torque and socket wrenches
3/8" and 1/4" allen sockets
13mm socket
some socket extensions
flathead screwdriver
rtv
brake cleaner
75W-140 full syn gear oil
(my QuadratracII does not require additive)

With the 13mm socket loosen all the bolts and remove all but the top bolt:

If replacing the cover with an aftermarket I would check to see that the hardware matches up before cracking the seal of the cover:

Gently pry the bottom of the cover w/ the flathead and let it drain into a catch pan:

Once the draining has slowed or stopped, remove the top bolt and take the cover off. This is what you'll see:

Give it a good wiping with some shop towels to sop up the remaining oil:

Then hit it with some brake cleaner:

And let it dry/evaporate then inspect your gears while you have everything exposed:

While the diff is drying out if you're putting the OEM cover back on use this time to clean the old rtv from the cover. A straight edge razor, flathead, and putty knife serve well here. Be cautious not to marr the inside surface of the cover - but get it as clean as you possibly can:

I was not reusing mine so I only halfway cleaned it and put it away.
Next go ahead and put a bead of rtv around the inside lip of the new cover being sure to encircle the bolt holes and make a continuous bead:

Let the rtv "skin over" for about 10 minutes. While you wait make sure the mating surface of the pumkin flange is clean of debree/oil. Then carefully place the cover trying not to smear the rtv and just snug the bolts down. Don't torque them yet and when you snug them be sure to use a star pattern just like your wheel lugs:

Let that sit for about 10 minutes. During this time you might want to jack the passenger side of the rig up so you have clear access to all the diff bolts:

Now torque the bolts to 30ft/lbs in a star pattern and let it sit for around 30 minutes just to make sure the rtv has set. I went ahead and added the Solid sticker to my collection and put some sealant tape on the diff cover drain plug while I waited:

When you're ready to refill it is easiest to put a clear tube, about 6" long, on the nozzle of the oil bottle:

Fill the diff with 70+oz of oil (according to WKJeeps). I filled mine with 78 ounces of oil just to cover the fact that the after market cover is deeper than the OEM. I don't know this to be a spec but it is what I chose to do. The key is not to fill too much. If you are putting the OEM cover back on then fill the diff just to the point that oil is beginning to ooze out of the bottom of the fill hole.

Lastly, I torqued the fill plug to 44ft/lbs:

And viola! Finished:

Adding this to my WK was easy, fairly cheap (although the gear oil is outrageous at 20 bucks a quart ) and IMO a much needed piece of armor.

As I said in the beginning, anyone needing to service their rear diff, or front diff and even xfer-case, need not pay someone else to do it - with a little time, patience, and basic tools you can do this for around half the cost that a dealer will charge you.

Hope this is usefull to some Jeepers out there

Happy Cinco de Mayo! and until next time.............

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.