Milton's Jeep Build - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #181
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Just a quick update:

I recoiled the excess coax for the cb in an infinity/figure8 and shaved a bit more from the powder coat on the antenna mount for the ground; I also set the threaded post for the antenna spring all the way seated into the mounting nut - then seated the spring to the threaded post - then the antenna to the spring. My resulting SWR's:
Ch 1 SWR = 1.6
Ch 40 SWR = 1.6
Ch 20 SWR = 1.1

I'm calling that dialled in! :-)

Like I said before - the smallest changes make a big difference. ;-)

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #182
JeepN4KC

Spent the weekend down at SMORR for HowiePalooza and had a blast. Place is great!

My brother and I got down there early afternoon to set up camp and the rest of our crew met up with us just after. We went out late afternoon and hit Eastwood to YellowJacket, crawled GuardRail around and back up to Eastwood:

Later that night we met up with some other KCJeepers for some eats and back to camp to sort of lay out Sat morning.

In the morning we gathered and headed to the trails, couple of the others were already on the trails, and we stopped at the articulation ramps for some pics and learning:

One of the really experienced KCJeepers led the group and I have to say he knew the park better than the map itself. Running with these guys was great - they know wheelin and were a big help to us newbies out there getting our feet wetter than they've been. We hit Peewee Crossing to start the day:

We hit a couple other trails and ended up descending the western side of RedBull's loop:

This was an unbelievable trail that proved to be quite the learning experience for my uncle and I. The trail leader was an awesome guide/spotter and got us down the first half of the trail before we cut across to Cold Mountain. I have to admit, when we first came into RedBull and saw the YJ beast do this in front of me I puckered:

But - made it through the first half of RedBull - not without a good ding - but ya know what, I'll trade a ding for tackling that part of a level 5 trail:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #183
JeepN4KC

Then it was the white TJ's turn:

We grabbed some lunch and then checked out the festivities. The blue TJ ran the barrel rodeo a couple times. I was his passenger on one of them and talk about a fun ride. This was the crowd that had gathered for the fun:

After that the blue TJ and YJ went to get after it on the bigboy trails and us other two checked out Largo, which has a pretty good gnarly spot at the bottom, and took a right up Snow Trail, a great somewhat longwinded and really steep climb, then over to Coyote Ugly, WildTurkey, and BullRun:

After that it was time to give the Jeeps a rest (lol - we were ready to shower up and relax):

Sunday morning after getting camp broke down and packed my uncle and I decided to run Peewee Crossing again before heading out. We went into the trail via Coyote Ugly - BullRun and ran the creek bed:

And just for good measure he wanted to see how far he could get on Getya Some or maybe it was Bump it:

Like I said - the park is incredible and running with the other KCJC guys on Saturday morning was a ton of fun and we learned a bunch about wheelin/recovery techniques and did stuff that we never would have tried without great Jeepers' help. We hit every level of trail in the park from a 1 to a level 5 and all kinds in between. I never would have thought my Jeep could do some of the stuff we ran over the weekend.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #184
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool man, I cant wait to get back there for JeepStock
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #185
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

GREAT pics! Thanks for sharing.

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #186
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Very Nice! That looks like a really fun trail. Thanks for sharing

Favorite pic!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #187
Holaday
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Missouri may not be a wheeling destination for most, but this park really has everything. Awesome place all around. Hope you can make it in July for Jeepstock.
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #188
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Very cool man, I cant wait to get back there for JeepStock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 99TJ View Post
GREAT pics! Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Very Nice! That looks like a really fun trail. Thanks for sharing

Favorite pic!
Thank you....thank you.......and thank you! That pic just centered itself nicely, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holaday View Post
Missouri may not be a wheeling destination for most, but this park really has everything. Awesome place all around. Hope you can make it in July for Jeepstock.
Completely agree! I was looking at that JeepStock. I had heard they've had a Jamboree or two down there. Is the Jeepstock along the same lines?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #189
JeepN4KC

Well I got some maintenance items taken care of today and a little damage assessment/touch-up.

First thing I got done was the tires rotated and balanced and I bought some cheap 94cent aluminum valve stem covers:

I started a thread regarding swapping the valve stems with rubber - we'll see where that goes.

Next the WK got a healthy serving of the good stuff:

My timing on the oil chance interval couldn't have worked out better as the evic reminder popped on my way into work Monday morning. Perfect cause all the heavy work from the weekend was over.

I Seafoamed the fuel cell and the vacuum line - didn't do the crankcase only because I had already dropped the fresh oil in when the stuff caught my eye on the shelf in the garage:

I didn't get as much smoke as usual but the thing purrs like a kitten.
So.....down at SMORR, the Red Bull trail, with all it's articulation and off camber ways, put me in a predicament:

That tow strap went around a tree and hooked to the white TJ that pulled tension on the strap and held it as my WK cinched down off the tree and I eased forward with tension on the strap - great little recovery trick we learned from the blue TJ leading us. Anyway, I barely nudged up to the tree but it was enough to do this:

So, I picked up some of this while I was out this morning:

I don't know how it will turn out and I know it isn't an exact color match by any means but I wanted to get something on the bare metal behind the cracked paint there and another spot on my lower driver's door from a couple trips back. Eventually I'll have to run by a dealer and see about getting some color match touch-up.

I got into my plastic rockers a couple times - nothing major - but enough to know I def want to get some rockrails.
Also, gotta love 4xGuard:

That belly skid took a beating instead of the jewels it covers.

And the spot on the rear diff I had to pound back to stop the leak:

I don't quite see how the engineers can consider that lip of the diff cover overlapping the pumkin flange to be "TrailRated." But I should be getting the Solid Axle Industries Chrysler 8.25 diff cover delivered by weeks end.

Well, I've read it and heard it - "You gotta pay to play." But you know what, you only live once and then the fun under this sun is done. Plus - nobody ever said Jeepin is a cheap hobby. I do what I can to save a buck here and there but in the end - this Jeep addiction will cost ya!

Until next post...............

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #190
05WKinPA
2005 WK 

That's a cool battle scar on the roofline. Gives it character! Looks like it could have been much worse without the smart recovery technique.
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #191
mattydipps
2006 WK 

dude you wheeled that thing HARD.... do i smell a bandaid in your future ?!? lol
Unread 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #192
Rob 99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Well, I've read it and heard it - "You gotta pay to play." But you know what, you only live once and then the fun under this sun is done. Plus - nobody ever said Jeepin is a cheap hobby. I do what I can to save a buck here and there but in the end - this Jeep addiction will cost ya!
Just Empty Every Pocket

07' WK Silver 5.7 QD2, Bilsteins & front strut plates.
Rob 99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #193
BlackedOutWK
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
First thing I got done was the tires rotated and balanced and I bought some cheap 94cent aluminum valve stem covers:

i have those same caps...lol they will be orange before no time. i have to paint mine constantly because they chip and the orange shows through, don't ask me why i haven't got new ones yet!
Unread 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #194
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps
dude you wheeled that thing HARD.... do i smell a bandaid in your future ?!? lol
Oh ya!!!! Bandaid it up and wear that battle scare proudly!

Any of you guys close to St Joseph? I will be around through the weekend for the air show if anyone would want to try and meet up?!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #195
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Oh ya!!!! Bandaid it up and wear that battle scare proudly!

Any of you guys close to St Joseph? I will be around through the weekend for the air show if anyone would want to try and meet up?!
Actually, St. Jo is about 75-80 miles almost straight north of me. What kind of itenerary are you running? PM sent.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.