Milton's Jeep Build - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Milton's Jeep Build

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #136
mattydipps
2006 WK 

that sweet mike, i have a local jeep club too but which mostly consists of 18 year old kids who know nothing about a jeep but just like the "big tires" and to drive around over obsticles at the mall parking lot after hours... needless to say im looking for a nice group of people to get together with and kick back a few ones haha

btw i never knew your a cheif fan, my buddy plays linebacker for them

Unread 03-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #137
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
that sweet mike, i have a local jeep club too but which mostly consists of 18 year old kids who know nothing about a jeep but just like the "big tires" and to drive around over obsticles at the mall parking lot after hours... needless to say im looking for a nice group of people to get together with and kick back a few ones haha

btw i never knew your a cheif fan, my buddy plays linebacker for them
Yeah, man, born and raised in the KC metro area so Chiefs football is always
a hot sports topic around here. Who is your buddy?

Well, today is my B-DAY! Drinkin coffee about to go to work. Nothin special goin on since I'm on duty but I did get a little gift. Nothing big but very useful:

2" x 30' 18k lb tow strap -

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #138
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC

Well, today is my B-DAY! Drinkin coffee about to go to work. Nothin special goin on since I'm on duty but I did get a little gift. Nothing big but very useful:

Happy Birthday!

Where did you get the strap from? How much?
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #139
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283 View Post
Happy Birthday!

Where did you get the strap from? How much?
Thanks!

Well, I don't know how much it was being a gift for me but it was bought at a truck& tractor equipment place here in Blue Springs called Feldman's.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 03-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #140
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post

happy birthday man, that sucks you have to work on your birthday haha i used to save a personal day every year for my birthday lol..

my buddys jovan belcher, went to high school with em and played high school ball with em really a great guy.
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #141
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
happy birthday man, that sucks you have to work on your birthday haha i used to save a personal day every year for my birthday lol..

my buddys jovan belcher, went to high school with em and played high school ball with em really a great guy.
Yeah, dude! Wears #59. He was a special teams stud his roockie year a couple seasons back. Good linebacker - makes alotta tackles.

Workin my birthday doesn't really matter to me at 37. Isn't the first and won't be the last. I love my job so it's all the same.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #142
mattydipps
2006 WK 

hey dude quick question for ya, when you strap your spare to the roof rack akk your using is the cross bars and some tie downs? is it sturdy..... like if i have to drive 4 hours like that, can i ? lol
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #143
JeepN4KC

If you use some good, sturdy webbing tie down straps, or better, ratchet straps you will be fine. The ones I use have hooks that go in the loop on the adjuster ends and I run the webbing through the spokes of the wheel and to the opposite side so I get a crossing tie down. Be prepared to take a hit on mpg's with it up there.

4 hour drive - If you have room in the cargo area I'd put it there or the spare well, Matt. I don't remember if you have a full size spare or did/needed the hitch modification to the one you put in.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #144
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
If you use some good, sturdy webbing tie down straps, or better, ratchet straps you will be fine. The ones I use have hooks that go in the loop on the adjuster ends and I run the webbing through the spokes of the wheel and to the opposite side so I get a crossing tie down. Be prepared to take a hit on mpg's with it up there.

4 hour drive - If you have room in the cargo area I'd put it there or the spare well, Matt. I don't remember if you have a full size spare or did/needed the hitch modification to the one you put in.
yeah i started the hitch mod but i havent gotten around to finish it... i have a full size spare its aired down now to like 8lbs but i cant fit it snug haha looks like i have some modding to do soon
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #145
JeepN4KC

About a month ago I posted up some measurements of where the WK sits about half a year post install. I had seen questions regarding settling of the springs so I figured I'd take a look. The day I posted I forgot about all the tools and xtra weight I had in it so I said I would get a more "everyday" load measurement. Again, I've added about 90lbs of skids since install but this is what I measured today:

front hub to wheel well: 22"
bpost: 17"
rear hub to wheel well: 21.75"

My measurements after install were:
F: 22.25"
B: 17.25"
R: 22.25"

So, I've dropped .25" which could either be the springs "settling" or the added weight.

But now to the real reason for my post and build thread :
I've been in the process of of putting together a parts list in order to stack the OME HD and go up a size in tires. I've been combing through tons of thread material on the WK side of JF as well as other forums putting it all on paper. Today I spent the afternoon with a buddy in his shop as he was pulling a t-case from one of his Wranglers - a YJ - and got the chance to see the guts of it and the inner workings and just talk about Jeeps and wheelin. He's one of those guys that's been a Jeeper for a long time and literally has his own bone yard of Jeeps, parts, tires and everytool you could need. He suggested I look at spending my money on a rear locker and just learn the limitations of my current set-up before moving forward with a project like that.
I definately see where he's coming from being as he's got years of Jeepin experience on me. Maybe I should put that project on the back-burner, look into a rear locker, maybe some front discos and rock rails, and gain some more wheeling knowledge and experience with my WK.
Regardless, I am in the financing phase of whatever I do as I've stock piled some overtime $ and the summer always brings more.
I just thought I'd throw all this out there and see what others here on the WK side of JF think................

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #146
JeepN4KC

We loaded up both our Jeeps with camping gear, our girls, and our dog and we met up with my uncle, aunt, and cousins and spent the weekend in Tuttle Creek State park. Got two great days of wheeling in and couldn't have had better weather for the trip.
Some quick side notes: it's about 160+ miles to the west of us (just north of Manhattan, KS). I put the mileage tune to the SC and got 18.5mpgs on the way out. Having my spare on the roof is literally a drag for the road. With the a/c running for the trip back I got about 16.5mpgs.
I have a lot of cleaning and unpacking and what not to do today so pics will definately be updated when I get time but I'll leave a couple quick ones.
(my avatar is new and was taken yesterday)

That's all for now but stay tuned for more!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #147
cby7715
2005 WK 

Great pics! Which rear locker are you looking at?

07 JK Sahara: 2" RC Spacer Lift...33x12.50 BFG A/T KO's...Black Mesh Grill
cby7715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #148
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cby7715 View Post
Great pics! Which rear locker are you looking at?
Thanks!

As far as lockers the choices I was looking at were Aussie, Detroit, or preferably an ARB air locker - $$$$$.

After this weekend I think my next move will be to hammer out the p/w and rear fender mods. I had some rubbing going on that I haven't really had up to now - nothing catastrophic but enough to notice.

EDIT:
This should help fund any future projects:

Just waiting for them to draw our numbers....

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #149
JeepN4KC

Alright, as I said earlier, once I got some time at the end of the day I'd put together some more pics of our trip this past weekend.

Once we got out there it was time to set up shop:

Once the fort was put together and the dog knew where his next meal would come from, we hit the trails:

We weren't sure how the dog was gonna do with the drive and wheelin around but I'd say he was lovin it:

Check out the flex on the TJ:

Cheese!

We'd decided to make our way back to camp and relax when we ran into this little snag:

That mud was deep on the driver's side but I gotta say the doors seals definately held up. Nothin came in the interior - now the door jams were another story. Tow strap to the front hook and we were on our way to some cold ones There was a single bay power wash in town just around the way from the camp site so I hit that up to keep that muck from drying up all over the underside - plus I had a hidious squeal from gunk between the front rotor shield and the rotor.

The next morning the dog and I took a walk and I had to snap some pics of the views from our camp grounds:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #150
JeepN4KC

After an awesome breakfast it was time to get back out for some wheelin.
We found some great photo spots:

As well as trails:

After a good weekend of wheeling it was time to air up one last time:

And pack up:

It was a great weekend! Anyone living within a days drive of Tuttle Creek ORV and State Park would be a fool not to check it out - the place is awesome!

Oh yeah, and aside from getting all our gear put up in storage and cleaning all the "camped in" clothes today I spent some quality time washing all the weekend out of and off of the WK:

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.