Milton's Jeep Build - Page 33 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #481 of 591 Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 PM
TeXJ
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Allen
Posts: 61
awesome, yeah those uhaul trailers are heavy, the truck pulls it fine for a half ton. This WK will be kept mostly stock.

Our WK doesnt have a tow hitch, what is involved in the tow package?


Mine: 97, auto, 4" lift, locked 33s
Wife: 2008 WK limited 4x4 4.7l
TeXJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #482 of 591 Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXJ View Post
awesome, yeah those uhaul trailers are heavy, the truck pulls it fine for a half ton. This WK will be kept mostly stock.

Our WK doesnt have a tow hitch, what is involved in the tow package?
That adds some other reservations.........

The tow package is a funny thing. Our previous WK, '06 4.7, had the tow package but no hitch - I had to add that.

But in general the tow package for the 4.7 will be tow group IV which includes class IV receiver, 7 flat plug (with 4 pin just inside the underneath of the bumper), pre-run power wire for brake controller, transmission oil cooler, and tow/haul function (which makes the transmission hold gears longer and locks out overdrive). Essentially, this all keeps the tranny from hunting gears and keeps it cooler. Gearing is still standard 3.73s in the axles.

I wired in a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller and have tandem axle brakes on my trailer as well as a breakaway kit - remember - at 5800 some odd pounds I'm pulling a load that's heavier than my WK so the trailer needs to be able to stop itself.

Pulling is only part of the equation.

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #483 of 591 Old 10-23-2013, 06:15 AM
TeXJ
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Allen
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
That adds some other reservations.........

The tow package is a funny thing. Our previous WK, '06 4.7, had the tow package but no hitch - I had to add that.

But in general the tow package for the 4.7 will be tow group IV which includes class IV receiver, 7 flat plug (with 4 pin just inside the underneath of the bumper), pre-run power wire for brake controller, transmission oil cooler, and tow/haul function (which makes the transmission hold gears longer and locks out overdrive. Essentially, this all keeps the tranny from hunting gears and keeps it cooler. Gearing is still standard 3.73s in the axles.

I wired in a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller and have tandem axle brakes on my trailer as well as a breakaway kit - remember - at 5800 some odd pounds I'm pulling a load that's heavier than my WK so the trailer needs to be able to stop itself.

Pulling is only part of the equation.

Yeah no doubt, I didnt think about the tow/haul feature. The rest can be added to the vehicle. Oh well, the truck gets to hang around lol

Mine: 97, auto, 4" lift, locked 33s
Wife: 2008 WK limited 4x4 4.7l
TeXJ is offline  
post #484 of 591 Old 10-29-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,913
Got home this morning and these were on the counter:



This window's about done:


~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #485 of 591 Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM
816jared
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 185
did you email/mail for those? mind PM'ing me the address? I was kind of annoyed when there wasn't a single sticker in all the boxes I opened from them

2005 WK // 4.7L // OME HD // lots more

Last edited by 816jared; 10-29-2013 at 07:45 PM. Reason: was/wasn't changes meaning of sentence pretty significantly
816jared is offline  
post #486 of 591 Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by 816jared View Post
did you email/mail for those? mind PM'ing me the address? I was kind of annoyed when there was a single sticker in all the boxes I opened from them
I never got any stickers from them in any of the boxes. Always wanted to sport one of their stickers and another WK guy in here posted a sticker he got and I asked where - he said ebay of all places and another suggested emailing OME/ARB direct.


So, I just emailed them here:

http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/contact-us/

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #487 of 591 Old 11-23-2013, 03:24 PM
816jared
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 185
spotted the red jeep out in the wild! noon'ish in the parking lot of the strip mall that godfather's pizza is in. I was staring out the windows at work and all of a sudden "****! I know that jeep!"


2005 WK // 4.7L // OME HD // lots more
816jared is offline  
post #488 of 591 Old 11-23-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by 816jared View Post
spotted the red jeep out in the wild! noon'ish in the parking lot of the strip mall that godfather's pizza is in. I was staring out the windows at work and all of a sudden "****! I know that jeep!"




"...........out in the wild!"

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #489 of 591 Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 PM
05SilVer
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Poway
Posts: 90
Great looking wk!

Zak

05 Grand cherokee limited
OME 2" lift.
265/70r17
1.5 wheel spacers
Max Energy Hypertech
05SilVer is offline  
post #490 of 591 Old 01-07-2014, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilVer View Post
Great looking wk!
Thanks, appreciate it!

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #491 of 591 Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,913



I'd like to find the one that designed the spare tire retention system and punch them in the throat!


I dunno what other options they could have designed - and frankly, I don't get paid to know; but the cable wind/rewind that binds up and kinks and in my case ends up useless just got the better of my patience today.

It's shot and I'll have to get a new one!



~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #492 of 591 Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Jeepforthewin
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post



I'd like to find the one that designed the spare tire retention system and punch them in the throat!


I dunno what other options they could have designed - and frankly, I don't get paid to know; but the cable wind/rewind that binds up and kinks and in my case ends up useless just got the better of my patience today.

It's shot and I'll have to get a new one!


Sounds like its time to build a bumper with a tire swingout Get those fab skills up to par

2010 JKU - Stock for now
2005 WK - 6" lift, 35" BFG's, a lot more (SOLD)
Jeepforthewin is offline  
post #493 of 591 Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post

Sounds like its time to build a bumper with a tire swingout Get those fab skills up to par
Well, I'll tell ya, a quick search kicked back a unit on JustforJeeps that runs over 170 bucks! That was the only thing I could find in the preliminary looking.

170 bucks!!?? Gimme a break!

So, maybe you're right.

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #494 of 591 Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Anon155
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 404
I'd check the local salvage yards first. I bet you could pick one up from there for 30-50 bucks. JustforJeeps can be pretty ridiculous with their prices at times.
But I do like the build your own rear bumper/tire rack carrier idea!!

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline  
post #495 of 591 Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Jaashua
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,144
Chances are if it's at the salvage yard it will be garbage too. I went through this months ago and just caved and bought a brand new one.
Jaashua is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
build my jeep with $3k zjilla ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 24 01-25-2009 08:26 AM
Live Jeep Q/A RIGHT NOW - Tell them what you want them to build! Keith ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 0 03-25-2008 03:12 PM
Live Jeep Q/A RIGHT NOW - Tell them what you want them to build! Keith WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 0 03-25-2008 03:12 PM
How do I get a build sheet for my Jeep? 02Lightning ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 12-14-2005 07:13 PM
Obtaining build sheet from Jeep djorkboy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 25 12-10-2004 01:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome