Milton's Jeep Build - Page 22 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #316 of 591 Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Beardacus
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
What a great thread this has been. Thank you for the detailed write ups you did. I just read the entire thing and although you won't be using the wk that seriously anymore it is a big inspiration for me and my wk. So much to do, so little time. Guess I'm going to have to start a build thread of my own soon.

Beardacus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #317 of 591 Old 12-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Beardacus
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
Also, I'm assuming you have the 3.7 but I'm not 100% sure?
Beardacus is offline  
post #318 of 591 Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 7,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
What a great thread this has been. Thank you for the detailed write ups you did. I just read the entire thing and although you won't be using the wk that seriously anymore it is a big inspiration for me and my wk. So much to do, so little time. Guess I'm going to have to start a build thread of my own soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
Also, I'm assuming you have the 3.7 but I'm not 100% sure?
Thanks man. The WK still gets used plenty - it was an awesome Jeep to be in last August on the trip Colorado. Though I'll doubtfully wheel it outside of a trip like that, it's definately a workhorse for me. I love watching other Jeepers' builds.

Mine is a first generation 4.7L V8, QuadratracII (Trail Rated - tested - and proven baby ), class IV tow package.

Good luck with your build

~Mike~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #319 of 591 Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Beardacus
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 67
Ah ok. When I saw Laredo I assumed that it was the V6. I was pretty psyched thinking the 3.7 could tow so well! Oh well....
Beardacus is offline  
post #320 of 591 Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 7,033
The last couple Saturdays have been fun. Went wheelin both weekends. Pulled the XJ around with the WK. Hit 70,000K miles on the odo today coming back home:








Next comes some maintenance................................

~Mike~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #321 of 591 Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 PM
straightsixjeep
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ks
Posts: 2,083
Nice seeing you out there, today was a great day!
straightsixjeep is offline  
post #322 of 591 Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 AM
thedude411
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canmore
Posts: 73
That would be great a great trailer to tow my car to track.
thedude411 is offline  
post #323 of 591 Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 7,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Nice seeing you out there, today was a great day!

Yup - it was. Jeep looks good. I like the alt. shield. And your Aussie? Howdo?



Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude411 View Post
That would be great a great trailer to tow my car to track.
It works out but it's inconsistant. That blue Jeep will sway from time to time. Haven't quite figured it out - lots of variables. This last time out it didn't sway once. With a street ride suspension I bet it would be smooth as glass, though.

~Mike~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #324 of 591 Old 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM
straightsixjeep
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ks
Posts: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Yup - it was. Jeep looks good. I like the alt. shield. And your Aussie? Howdo?





It works out but it's inconsistant. That blue Jeep will sway from time to time. Haven't quite figured it out - lots of variables. This last time out it didn't sway once. With a street ride suspension I bet it would be smooth as glass, though.
Thanks I can easily say the same about your beast. Completely out of the blue Saturday morning I fired up the Jeep and drove to get gas. While driving in a straight line Id get a pop every now and then. I drove it all the way to ks rock no problem and it wheeled down there great. Coming home on the highway while traveling in a straight line If I took my foot off the gas the aussie wanted to unlock which sounded horrible at highway speeds. Even the normal clickity clack when turning became a lot worse. I popped the diff cover and there was minimal shavings from the break in and also without pulling the cam gears they looked brand new. I performed the unlock test and it passed with no issues. I wrote aussie and they told me to remove it immediately and send it in. I went and picked up a feeler gauge (I installed it at a friends garage and used his feeler gauge) so now I need to pull the center pin and check the specs. If everything checks out ok Im going to fill it up with fluid and test it out. If its still acting up Im sending it in. Im glad I kept my original open diff gears.
How did yours do?
straightsixjeep is offline  
post #325 of 591 Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 PM
DieselDevotion
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Waterford
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
...

It works out but it's inconsistant. That blue Jeep will sway from time to time. Haven't quite figured it out - lots of variables. This last time out it didn't sway once. With a street ride suspension I bet it would be smooth as glass, though.
My experience with both trailers and tow dolleys is you need tongue weight. Light or negative tongue weights will give you a swaying trailer. Try moving your jeep as far forward as you can. And it looks like you need a bigger drop hitch.

Just my .02

07 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.0L CRD QDII
89 5.9 Cummins powered F350
98 TDI Jetta
DieselDevotion is offline  
post #326 of 591 Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 7,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Thanks I can easily say the same about your beast. Completely out of the blue Saturday morning I fired up the Jeep and drove to get gas. While driving in a straight line Id get a pop every now and then. I drove it all the way to ks rock no problem and it wheeled down there great. Coming home on the highway while traveling in a straight line If I took my foot off the gas the aussie wanted to unlock which sounded horrible at highway speeds. Even the normal clickity clack when turning became a lot worse. I popped the diff cover and there was minimal shavings from the break in and also without pulling the cam gears they looked brand new. I performed the unlock test and it passed with no issues. I wrote aussie and they told me to remove it immediately and send it in. I went and picked up a feeler gauge (I installed it at a friends garage and used his feeler gauge) so now I need to pull the center pin and check the specs. If everything checks out ok Im going to fill it up with fluid and test it out. If its still acting up Im sending it in. Im glad I kept my original open diff gears.
How did yours do?
The XJ did great - Aussie FTW! But this is my WK thread, man
I kid -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDevotion View Post
My experience with both trailers and tow dolleys is you need tongue weight. Light or negative tongue weights will give you a swaying trailer. Try moving your jeep as far forward as you can. And it looks like you need a bigger drop hitch. Just my .02
I have a 4" drop now and was thinking of doing 6"-7" drop? I just wondered if lowering the drop on an already minimal if not neutral tongue weight would cause it to have neutral to negative tongue weight or if the drop would "lever" the front wheels of the tow dolly/XJ hook up. I don't know. Like I mentioned, this last drive the thing was smooth all day.

~Mike~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #327 of 591 Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 7,033
Got around to starting some maintenance on the red Jeep today.

Put the 87 octane tune back to it and then started with getting the skids outta the way:



I left the transfer case skid adapter since it isn't in the way:



Jeep naked:



Also got the tars rotated and checked the torque on the spacers:



Next things I gotta get to is the t-case, front diff, oil/filter, air filter. Probably swap in a new belt too. Oh - and a good cleaning.

~Mike~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #328 of 591 Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 7,033
The red Jeep got a 70K mile overhaul today:

Wipers
Air filter clean
Belt
Seafoam
Oil/filter
Transfer case drain/refill
Front diff drain/refill

Only thing left is to fill the gas tank and reinstall the skids -

~Mike~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #329 of 591 Old 12-13-2012, 05:34 PM
straightsixjeep
Registered User
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ks
Posts: 2,083
Good man your jeep thanks you.
straightsixjeep is offline  
post #330 of 591 Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 7,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Good man your jeep thanks you.
Yup - spins like a top.....purrs like a kitten.........all that good stuff.

~Mike~


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
build my jeep with $3k zjilla ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 24 01-25-2009 09:26 AM
Live Jeep Q/A RIGHT NOW - Tell them what you want them to build! Keith ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 0 03-25-2008 04:12 PM
Live Jeep Q/A RIGHT NOW - Tell them what you want them to build! Keith WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum 0 03-25-2008 04:12 PM
How do I get a build sheet for my Jeep? 02Lightning ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 9 12-14-2005 08:13 PM
Obtaining build sheet from Jeep djorkboy ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 25 12-10-2004 02:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome