miles to empty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > miles to empty?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
jebo0420
2006 WK 

miles to empty?

Not that I plan to make it a habit, but ah I just drove 30 plus miles with my fuel indicater on 0 miles!!! How the he'll is that possible

jebo0420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebo0420 View Post
Not that I plan to make it a habit, but ah I just drove 30 plus miles with my fuel indicater on 0 miles!!! How the he'll is that possible
It tells you to get gas before your completely out. This is for the goofballs who drive until the gauge reads empty like yourself apparently

You got lucky!
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Jtav2012
2005 WK 

American cars typically have a pretty big buffer. Part of the reason why is that the fuel pump is kept cool by being submerged in gas in the tank, so literally running on fumes could cause it to overheat and break. I don't know if that is applicable to our jeeps, but it's what I've heard in the past. Part of it is also because the average American is pretty dumb and half of us are dumber than that, and having a big buffer keeps us from running to empty which can cause other problems too.

Either way, yes that's normal. We've got a 20.5 gallon fuel tank and even after running on "0 miles until empty" for about 10 miles, I've never EVER had to put more than 17.X gallons in at fill-up to get above the max of the fuel gauge.
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
jebo0420
2006 WK 

Exactly! I've never put more than 18 myself. I didn't know the tank was 20.5 makes a lo more cense now
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtav2012 View Post
American cars typically have a pretty big buffer. Part of the reason why is that the fuel pump is kept cool by being submerged in gas in the tank, so literally running on fumes could cause it to overheat and break. I don't know if that is applicable to our jeeps, but it's what I've heard in the past. Part of it is also because the average American is pretty dumb and half of us are dumber than that, and having a big buffer keeps us from running to empty which can cause other problems too.

Either way, yes that's normal. We've got a 20.5 gallon fuel tank and even after running on "0 miles until empty" for about 10 miles, I've never EVER had to put more than 17.X gallons in at fill-up to get above the max of the fuel gauge.
That is a good point to note. Most fuel pumps are cooled/lubricated by the fuel itself.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
BlackPrintz
2005 WK 

In Canada, our tanks are measured in litres (~77.5). Since I started wheeling, my gauge reads lower than it used to, it might have something to do with the dents in the skid or all that bumping may have shifted the float position. When the gauge is showing empty and my low fuel light comes on, I still have about 20 litres left. That 20 litres will take me about 160 km on the highway. Keep in mind, that this is not typical. It used to come on with about 10 litres left which gave me enough time to find gas without having a panic attack.
Black WK #139
05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, 2" R.C. lift, 32s, K&N, MagnaFlow, 4xGuard Skids, Custom Rock Rails
BlackPrintz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

You had to know that there was a website for this http://tankonempty.com/

http://tankonempty.com/viewcar/Jeep/Grand%20Cherokee

Data points 88

Average distance 31.20 miles

Max distance 99 miles

Min distance 1 miles

St. Dev. 18.23
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #8
jebo0420
2006 WK 

I had no idea lol
Unread 11-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
arjeeper
2006 XK Commander 

I've had lots of Jeeps and can't say I've ever run out of gas. Sure, I've been on empty for a while a few times, but the reserve is pretty substantial.
Unread 11-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
road_tripper

I let mine run dry to see how much fuel I could put in... 20.4 gallons. The 'miles to empty' goes to zero when I have 2 gallons left in the tank.

The fuel gauge stops moving about the same time as the miles to empty goes to zero... so really no way tell how much of the extra 2 gallons I've used if I keep driving.
road_tripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
CavallinoRed
2006 WK 

Was running the tank down so I could drop it to install a fuel tank skid plate.

EVIC was showing 22 miles 'till empty and took 17.1 gals to fill. So had ~3.4 gal left.
CavallinoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
ChrisWK
2005 WK 

I put about 16.5 to 17.1 on zero to empty to fill up. I think I can drive a lot longer. I got one of the scan gauge things with gas percents it with say zero percent fuel. I will longer, glad it was not a computer think.
ChrisWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.