Merlin, could a heavily carbonned or oil clogged intake cause CRD problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Merlin, could a heavily carbonned or oil clogged intake cause CRD problems?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
suzieque
2008 WK 

Merlin, could a heavily carbonned or oil clogged intake cause CRD problems?

I read a post on another forum of a guy that had his swirl motor replaced, but shortly after the engine developed lots of blowby and performance issues. The dealer tore apart the manifold and found lots of carbon and oil in the intake. Could the carbon and oil somehow cause blowby and performance issues? Maybe damaging the butterfly valves controlled by the swirl motor?

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
YES, I have seen them bent and this way why I like taking off the manifold to clean them out on very swirl motor job I did but warranty stopped paying for this so now only do the motor.
Unread 12-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
suzieque
2008 WK 

thanks Merlin.

How many more hours of labour to pull the manifold and clean it?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
thanks Merlin.

How many more hours of labour to pull the manifold and clean it?
Hi
only another 2.
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Bzwth
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
I read a post on another forum
Another Forum?!?!?

What kind of problems/symptoms occur when a swirl motor goes bad? I updated my intake tube already, but it leaked oil down onto the swirl motor for almost 30k miles before I changed it out. I can see a lot of burnt oil/carbon down there in the swirl motor area is aswell. And I haven't gotten around to installing my CCV filter yet either, so I'm guessing that problems might be right around the corner.
Bzwth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.