MB 3.0 CRD compatiabilty with VM Motori 3.0 CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > MB 3.0 CRD compatiabilty with VM Motori 3.0 CRD

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
10Xk
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , USA
Posts: 689
MB 3.0 CRD compatiabilty with VM Motori 3.0 CRD

With the manufactures changing from MB to VM Motori are any of the parts interchangeable?

10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
jediknight
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 428
If possible I'd like to interchange the trany for sure
__________________
2008 WK CRD Blue, QD II, Startech SD6 mod.
jediknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
suzieque
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,809
the pictures I've seen of the VM looks quite different from the Mercedes version. I suspect only the displacement is the same. maybe even the bolt pattern for the transmission is different.
__________________
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
jaje
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 456
They would have nothing in common completely different OEMs. Any attempt to swap parts across would require fabrication. It's like trying to use parts from a Chrysler v8 and a Ford v8 or a Chevy v8. Same configuration but different engines, chassis's, transmissions, computers, etc.
__________________
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel Limited
'13 Subaru BRZ
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Zlartibartfast
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Menchaca, Texas
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje View Post
T.... It's like trying to use parts from a Chrysler v8 and a Ford v8 or a Chevy v8. Same configuration but different engines, chassis's, transmissions, computers, etc.
It would be worse than that. The old one is German and the new one is Italian. Vinegar and Oil.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
scootr29
Web Wheeler
 
scootr29's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlartibartfast

It would be worse than that. The old one is German and the new one is Italian. Vinegar and Oil.
Germans build engines and Italians design cars......nuff said
__________________
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
Robert J. yates
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: mars
Posts: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Germans build engines and Italians design cars......nuff said
The veiled dig on VM reliability is noted. Gale Banks however has a huge ton of respect for the new engine though and is using it as a base for development work for the US military. There are a number of notable strength features of the new CRD that speak to long term durability. I think the trick will be in getting ancillary systems to function reliably over time.... Something my Benz CRD certainly has not excelled at in some areas.... Particularly the glow plug circuit and plugs themselves. I have gone through 2 modules and 3 complete sets of plugs in 115000 miles. Compared to the swirl motor issues others have had I guess I should be thankful
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by samgm2 View Post
And yes, I am an exceptional scientist and engineer.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler
 
scootr29's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
The veiled dig on VM reliability is noted. Gale Banks however has a huge ton of respect for the new engine though and is using it as a base for development work for the US military. There are a number of notable strength features of the new CRD that speak to long term durability. I think the trick will be in getting ancillary systems to function reliably over time.... Something my Benz CRD certainly has not excelled at in some areas.... Particularly the glow plug circuit and plugs themselves. I have gone through 2 modules and 3 complete sets of plugs in 115000 miles. Compared to the swirl motor issues others have had I guess I should be thankful
I have had 3 Mercedes 3.0L diesels with and without DEF in the last 5 years and I have had no issues at all....just luck no matter the manufacturer....

Also remember that the VM diesels running in Australia do not need DEF....that adds a lot of complexity to the VM diesels coming to America.
__________________
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
10Xk
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , USA
Posts: 689
Hopefully they will get it right this time. VM is 50% General Motors, maybe that will help.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
jediknight
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 428
Oh I guess there will be some Torx 10 bolts on the engine.. Those might be compatible lol
__________________
2008 WK CRD Blue, QD II, Startech SD6 mod.
jediknight is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.