Make me feel better about 08 crd purchase+tow package question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Make me feel better about 08 crd purchase+tow package question

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
XJ01-08
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Make me feel better about 08 crd purchase+tow package question

Well I just bought a 08 Laredo with the crd, it has 85000mi on it and I paid 15k but I forgot to see if it had a hitch til after I paid. Doh!

What is all on the ones with the towing package and about how much/how hard would it be to add?

I know the libby crds need the timing belt changed at 100k mi but do these need anything special done at that time?

Thanks

'88 M185A3 6x6 Big Toy
XJ01-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Welcome to the site....if you have not read up on the CRD you need to. Great engines and there are several items that need to be looked into to make the engine even better.

1) If your CRD did not come with the Class IV towing package this is what you are missing....

Trailer Tow Group Class IV (requires V8 or Hemi engine)

3.73:1 axle ratio
Power steering cooler
Transmission oil cooler (auxiliary, external)
Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
7-way and 4-way plug harness (pre-wired for brake controller)

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_towing.htm

2) The 0M642 engine has a timing chain that does not need to be changed.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
TangoTango
2008 WK 

maybe a dump question ...

First what is he talking about that you need the change the timing chain at 100k? ... I have an 08 CRD. Is he talking about some other engine?

I have that tow package .. but what I don't see are trailer brakes. Do you know what parts are needed for that .. or are they after market take a pic ones?
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
sickchilly
2010 WK 

You don't change a timing chain, typically for the life of an engine, unless something goes wrong. Re-read carefully. He was talking about the belt on a Liberty CRD. Different motor entirely.

Brake controller installation:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_towing.htm#CONTROLLER
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
XJ01-08
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Still kicking myself for not checking for the hitch but with my 33k gvwr Frieghtliner I didn't really need it that bad. Might add one in the future just to haul a light duty trailer. Definitely going to get a GDE tune on it and most likely do a EHM aswell since it really helped out my parents libby. Worked on alot of diesels but almost all are mechanical and this will be the newest(complicated) I've worked on.

To TangoTango
I was talking about the Liberty CRD which is a 2.8 VM engine, it has a timeing belt that your supposed to change at 100k mi and its good to hear that this has a chain since i'm not looking forward to the day I have to change the timing belt on my parents Liberty.
'88 M185A3 6x6 Big Toy
XJ01-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
Hendrix9
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ01-08
Still kicking myself for not checking for the hitch but with my 33k gvwr Frieghtliner I didn't really need it that bad. Might add one in the future just to haul a light duty trailer. Definitely going to get a GDE tune on it and most likely do a EHM aswell since it really helped out my parents libby. Worked on alot of diesels but almost all are mechanical and this will be the newest(complicated) I've worked on.

To TangoTango
I was talking about the Liberty CRD which is a 2.8 VM engine, it has a timeing belt that your supposed to change at 100k mi and its good to hear that this has a chain since i'm not looking forward to the day I have to change the timing belt on my parents Liberty.
If you have a taller gear ratio because of not having the tow package I think you're better off. These things do not need 3.73s. It's ridiculous. If I were you I'd get an external tranny cooler though.
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Ditchd
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post

1) If your CRD did not come with the Class IV towing package this is what you are missing....

Trailer Tow Group Class IV (requires V8 or Hemi engine)

3.73:1 axle ratio
Power steering cooler
Transmission oil cooler (auxiliary, external)
Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
7-way and 4-way plug harness (pre-wired for brake controller)
You've lost me, why would the CRD have the class 4 when it says its for v8 & hemi. ? The euro spec CRD comes out of the factory with broadly the same parts as non euro spec and is equipped to tow up to 3.5 tonnes without modification in high temperatures .

Ditchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchd View Post
You've lost me, why would the CRD have the class 4 when it says its for v8 & hemi. ? The euro spec CRD comes out of the factory with broadly the same parts as non euro spec and is equipped to tow up to 3.5 tonnes without modification in high temperatures .

It is a misprint in the website that I pulled from...it should say V8 & Hemi & CRD...
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

You need to buy a Mopar wiring harness that taps into power in the front console and the brake light switch above the pedals. I got mine from justforjeeps.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
maybe a dump question ...

First what is he talking about that you need the change the timing chain at 100k? ... I have an 08 CRD. Is he talking about some other engine?

I have that tow package .. but what I don't see are trailer brakes. Do you know what parts are needed for that .. or are they after market take a pic ones?
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Are you sure it's a Laredo? I didn't think the CRD was in anything below a limited for MY 08.

3:73 gear ratio= standard equipment you already have it.
Transmission cooler= standard equipment, you already have it.
Power steering cooler= standard equipment, you already have it.

What you do need is the class IV receiver (factory hitch requires cutting of bumper fascia) 4/7 pin harness (after installation dealer has to activate the feature), trailer sway unsure if its already activated or if the dealer has to activate it.

Look at the sales brochure.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/brochures/2008_wk_brochure.pdf

You can also go to www.mopar.com and look at the parts that where used/available on a 08 GC and other options.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Radcrd
2007 WK 

My 07 is a Laredo and I have seen several other Laredo CRD 's. I'm surprised yours came without a tow package. I have never seen one that did not have it.
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
manny31
2008 WK 

08 Laredo. Dont know why has more option than alot of limited Ive seen. Ithought all CRD had hitch
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #13
1dzlwk
2007 WK 

The '08 Laredo CRD without the towing package has 3.08 axles, not 3.73 axles. This was not true in '07, where they all came with 3.73s. This is why I regret buying my '07 at the end of the model year instead of waiting a few months for the '08. My engine spins at about 2600-2700 rpm at 75 mph, and that's just idiotic...
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
fordt
2008 WK 

You're right about them high revs, I'm seriously thinking abut switching over to a different rear ratio, but i believe it's a 3.07. Fishinbama did it, and I'd like to see how it pulls around 5K....and you can find 3.55's as well...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.