Make me feel better about 08 crd purchase+tow package question - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Make me feel better about 08 crd purchase+tow package question

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 07-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
XJ01-08
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Make me feel better about 08 crd purchase+tow package question

Well I just bought a 08 Laredo with the crd, it has 85000mi on it and I paid 15k but I forgot to see if it had a hitch til after I paid. Doh!

What is all on the ones with the towing package and about how much/how hard would it be to add?

I know the libby crds need the timing belt changed at 100k mi but do these need anything special done at that time?

Thanks

__________________
'08 WK CRD
'01 XJ, 3in lift, 31" Duratracs, JCR skids & bumpers, rust.
'94 XJ, stock future 4bt swap.
'88 M185A3 6x6 Big Toy
XJ01-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
scootr29
Web Wheeler
 
scootr29's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 2,699
Welcome to the site....if you have not read up on the CRD you need to. Great engines and there are several items that need to be looked into to make the engine even better.

1) If your CRD did not come with the Class IV towing package this is what you are missing....

Trailer Tow Group Class IV (requires V8 or Hemi engine)

3.73:1 axle ratio
Power steering cooler
Transmission oil cooler (auxiliary, external)
Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
7-way and 4-way plug harness (pre-wired for brake controller)

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_towing.htm

2) The 0M642 engine has a timing chain that does not need to be changed.
__________________
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
TangoTango
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,132
maybe a dump question ...

First what is he talking about that you need the change the timing chain at 100k? ... I have an 08 CRD. Is he talking about some other engine?

I have that tow package .. but what I don't see are trailer brakes. Do you know what parts are needed for that .. or are they after market take a pic ones?
TangoTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
sickchilly
Registered User
2010 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 207
You don't change a timing chain, typically for the life of an engine, unless something goes wrong. Re-read carefully. He was talking about the belt on a Liberty CRD. Different motor entirely.

Brake controller installation:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_towing.htm#CONTROLLER
__________________
2010 Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat Grand Cherokee S-Limited with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
sickchilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
XJ01-08
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
Still kicking myself for not checking for the hitch but with my 33k gvwr Frieghtliner I didn't really need it that bad. Might add one in the future just to haul a light duty trailer. Definitely going to get a GDE tune on it and most likely do a EHM aswell since it really helped out my parents libby. Worked on alot of diesels but almost all are mechanical and this will be the newest(complicated) I've worked on.

To TangoTango
I was talking about the Liberty CRD which is a 2.8 VM engine, it has a timeing belt that your supposed to change at 100k mi and its good to hear that this has a chain since i'm not looking forward to the day I have to change the timing belt on my parents Liberty.
__________________
'08 WK CRD
'01 XJ, 3in lift, 31" Duratracs, JCR skids & bumpers, rust.
'94 XJ, stock future 4bt swap.
'88 M185A3 6x6 Big Toy
XJ01-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #6
Hendrix9
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Watertown, Connecticut
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ01-08
Still kicking myself for not checking for the hitch but with my 33k gvwr Frieghtliner I didn't really need it that bad. Might add one in the future just to haul a light duty trailer. Definitely going to get a GDE tune on it and most likely do a EHM aswell since it really helped out my parents libby. Worked on alot of diesels but almost all are mechanical and this will be the newest(complicated) I've worked on.

To TangoTango
I was talking about the Liberty CRD which is a 2.8 VM engine, it has a timeing belt that your supposed to change at 100k mi and its good to hear that this has a chain since i'm not looking forward to the day I have to change the timing belt on my parents Liberty.
If you have a taller gear ratio because of not having the tow package I think you're better off. These things do not need 3.73s. It's ridiculous. If I were you I'd get an external tranny cooler though.
__________________
2007 CRD QDII
4XGuard Matrix, GDE Eco Tune
DPF delete, RC 2.5 lift on 265/70/17s
Hendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Ditchd
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Billingham, Cleveland
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post

1) If your CRD did not come with the Class IV towing package this is what you are missing....

Trailer Tow Group Class IV (requires V8 or Hemi engine)

3.73:1 axle ratio
Power steering cooler
Transmission oil cooler (auxiliary, external)
Frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer type hitch
7-way and 4-way plug harness (pre-wired for brake controller)
You've lost me, why would the CRD have the class 4 when it says its for v8 & hemi. ? The euro spec CRD comes out of the factory with broadly the same parts as non euro spec and is equipped to tow up to 3.5 tonnes without modification in high temperatures .

Ditchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
scootr29
Web Wheeler
 
scootr29's Avatar
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 2,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchd View Post
You've lost me, why would the CRD have the class 4 when it says its for v8 & hemi. ? The euro spec CRD comes out of the factory with broadly the same parts as non euro spec and is equipped to tow up to 3.5 tonnes without modification in high temperatures .

It is a misprint in the website that I pulled from...it should say V8 & Hemi & CRD...
__________________
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
NDSU_Bison
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 688
You need to buy a Mopar wiring harness that taps into power in the front console and the brake light switch above the pedals. I got mine from justforjeeps.com.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
maybe a dump question ...

First what is he talking about that you need the change the timing chain at 100k? ... I have an 08 CRD. Is he talking about some other engine?

I have that tow package .. but what I don't see are trailer brakes. Do you know what parts are needed for that .. or are they after market take a pic ones?
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
10Xk
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , USA
Posts: 709
Are you sure it's a Laredo? I didn't think the CRD was in anything below a limited for MY 08.

3:73 gear ratio= standard equipment you already have it.
Transmission cooler= standard equipment, you already have it.
Power steering cooler= standard equipment, you already have it.

What you do need is the class IV receiver (factory hitch requires cutting of bumper fascia) 4/7 pin harness (after installation dealer has to activate the feature), trailer sway unsure if its already activated or if the dealer has to activate it.

Look at the sales brochure.

http://www.wkjeeps.com/brochures/2008_wk_brochure.pdf

You can also go to www.mopar.com and look at the parts that where used/available on a 08 GC and other options.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Radcrd
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 359
My 07 is a Laredo and I have seen several other Laredo CRD 's. I'm surprised yours came without a tow package. I have never seen one that did not have it.
__________________
2007 WK CRD QDII, GDE HOT tune. 275/55/18'' on Sahara's, SRT8 suspension.
2000 Jetta TDI (hers)
2006 Liberty CRD (sold)
3 VW TDI's (sold)
Radcrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
manny31
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: miami
Posts: 61
08 Laredo. Dont know why has more option than alot of limited Ive seen. Ithought all CRD had hitch
__________________
08 CRD elephant mode, kidney empty. GDE eco tune, DPF gutted, 20' SRTs 265 and 295 stock height, SRT front bumper
manny31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #13
1dzlwk
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: , S.E. Wisconsin
Posts: 47
The '08 Laredo CRD without the towing package has 3.08 axles, not 3.73 axles. This was not true in '07, where they all came with 3.73s. This is why I regret buying my '07 at the end of the model year instead of waiting a few months for the '08. My engine spins at about 2600-2700 rpm at 75 mph, and that's just idiotic...
__________________
____
Bob
1dzlwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
fordt
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Comfort, TX
Posts: 45
You're right about them high revs, I'm seriously thinking abut switching over to a different rear ratio, but i believe it's a 3.07. Fishinbama did it, and I'd like to see how it pulls around 5K....and you can find 3.55's as well...
__________________
[B]2008 Grand Cherokee CRD Overland 2WD, GDE Eco tune with DPF delete, MBRP DPF back exhaust system[/B]
fordt is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.