lunaslide's build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > lunaslide's build thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #1
lunaslide
2008 WK 

lunaslide's build thread: Loki

And so it begins.

I just sold my 1998 Wrangler Sport after 13 great years and got a new car to replace my black 2008 WK CRD as my daily driver. I love the power of the CRD and the comfort and capability of the WK off road, so I've decided to build it up into an expeditionary vehicle.

Almost all of the stuff in my signature has finally arrived and starts going in on Monday (YAAAAAY!). The fine gentlemen at Kent 4WD are going to do the lift install, I'm not skilled enough with a welder yet to handle that. But they are going to document the process with pictures along the way, which I'll post to this thread. They're really excited to do this build too given how rarely they see a WK, much less a diesel one, and I hope they get a lot of good material to put on their site as an example build.

I modelled my upgrades after the lift that Diesel Power Magazine did with a 2007 CRD WK. What they found was that the extra weight of the ARB bumper and winch was too much for the stock front springs and they broke a front strut mount after about 10k miles. They fixed the problem by replacing those springs with those of the Jeep Commander which are rated for about 150lbs more, so I'm putting them in right from the start. Here are the articles on the lift and the road test that resulted in the replacement springs:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/g...crd/index.html
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/g...t/viewall.html

I'm also putting in JBA upper control arms pre-emptively due to feedback on this forum.

The exhaust and snorkel are still in the mail. Again, Diesel Power put in the MBRP exhaust which gave me the idea. What they found was that just the exhaust upgrade alone didn't noticeably improve power from the CRD. However, I wanted something stronger and more corrosion resistant. Also, it will hopefully help with the ECO Tune flash I've done. The snorkel is a consideration both because I live somewhere with a lot of water and also to get a cooler, cleaner intake point. Eastern Washington is really dirty with fine, volcanic dust.

I can certainly recommend the Green Diesel Engineering ECO Tune. Throttle response is much better and more consistent across the power band. Plus they made some tunes great for a 4 wheeler like increasing the idle in 4L so you can climb without pedal. The engine is only slightly louder now and hopefully will sound great with the straight pipe going in. It's quite a beast now with the extra power, so it'll help a lot once the larger tires and armor go on.

I've already got the CCFL Eagle Eyes halo projectors in. They look super nice. The HID conversion came with the wrong bulbs, so I'm still sorting that out. Yes, yes, I know...after I get the Jeep detailed tomorrow I'll take some "before" pictures and post them here. I'm still looking around for a set of LED tail lights that suit my fancy.

On the inside, I'll be getting an in dash navigation system. Current top candidates are the RER with lockpic or the Kenwood DNX9980HD. If possible, I'm trying to find something that I can integrate with my Kenwood TM-D710A so I can get APRS positions on the map. We'll see.

Near term, custom front and rear bumpers from a local fabricator are going to go in. A Superwinch Talon 12.5 SR is sitting in the garage waiting for that, so it'll be sooner rather than later.

Longer term, I want to put an auxiliary fuel tank in the spare tire position.

I promise, pictures coming soon.

[ 2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD ]
[ GDE ECOtune ][ Airflow Snorkel ][ MBRP T304 Diesel Exhaust ]
[ Superlift 4" ][ Jeep Commander front coils ]
[ AEV Pintler Argent Wheels ][ 285/70R17 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 ][ 4XGuard FG, BG, RR, Antennae mount ]

Last edited by lunaslide; 12-24-2011 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Changed title to add the name I gave the Jeep
lunaslide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
lunaslide
2008 WK 

Doh, sorry about the duplicate thread. My browser blinked. Feel free to delete, moderators.

[ AEV Pintler Argent Wheels ][ 285/70R17 BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 ][ 4XGuard FG, BG, RR, Antennae mount ]
Unread 12-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

This should be exciting to see it all come together!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
jayl00p

Wow, I'm following this one! Good luck w the build!
'05 WK LTD HEMI|Custom 6" lift-Superlift+Spacers|EGR|AEV Savegre|35" GY Duratrac|SRT8 Front and Rear Sway Bars|Rusty's Adjustable Rear LCAs|Mopar CAI|Gibson 3" Cat-Back w cats deleted|RIGID 30" LED|SC Flashpaq|Yakima Bike+Snow+Kayak|Rola|Superwinch X9 winch|Custom bi-xenon Projector Headlights|
jayl00p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
mattydipps
2006 WK 

yesssss really looking foward to some pics
Unread 12-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
lunaslide
2008 WK 

The WK is still in the shop getting the lift. Just got in the production skid plates from the dealership and the exhaust replacement kit. Pictures hopefully on Monday or Tuesday.

I'm considering the Gobi steath rack, I like it better than anything else I've seen. It looks great on Omelet's WK.

Unread 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did you see HueyPilotVN's commander aux fuel tank?
Link to info just in case you need some info
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showt...s-tank-install
Unread 12-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
lunaslide
2008 WK 

I've not seen that before, thanks for the info. So far the only option I've found is The Long Ranger tanks out of Australia.

Unread 12-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
lunaslide
2008 WK 

Back from the shop!

Drove her back from the shop today, but it was dark so I only got one picture. The guys at the shop took a bunch, so more to come. Looks pretty damn nice, and sits higher than I thought it would. Thankfully, still fits into the garage with some room to spare.
wk_lifted.jpg  

Unread 12-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Bravo my friend! Nice work.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
Ryan101505

Looking good
Ryan101505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #12
Fulcher88

Looks to me like u could go 305 easy!

2005 5.7 beryl green. rough country bb 2", 265/70/17 BFG all terrain. rola roof rack, hella ff75, bilstein shock/strut, .25" front spacers. CAI, superchip, matrix 4xguard w/rails ( waiting on hoop in october). hella 1000 black magic rally driving lights, AEV pintler wheels in argent. JKS quick disconnect
Fulcher88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Dang! Looks Bada$$!! Daytime pics!?
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
lunaslide
2008 WK 

4XGuard stuff put in

I put on the front guard, belly guard and rock rails yesterday. I feel a little better now with that DPF covered up!

I didn't get a chance to wash it, but it's going in for an 8 hour detail job on the 5th.

Here are some daytime pictures outside at work:
dscn0400.jpg   dscn0401.jpg   dscn0404.jpg   dscn0405.jpg   dscn0409.jpg  

Unread 12-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
lunaslide
2008 WK 

I decided to name the Jeep Loki. Hopefully he just causes mischief for *other* people.

The picture is too dark, but here it is next to my other diesel beauty, peering out into the dark like a couple of predators
dscn0410.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.