LT vs P sidewall ratings for AT Tires - '05 Jeep WK w/Hemi - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By festerw

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
goldcrown4
2005 WK 

LT vs P sidewall ratings for AT Tires - '05 Jeep WK w/Hemi

I'm in need of new All Terrain tires for my WK. My current worn out tires are the stock size (Goodyear Terrera) 245/65/17. Already had installed the Daystar 2" lift and Bilsteins (4600 up front, 5100 in the rear) so it's time to fill the wheel wells. I'll be purchasing wheel spacers and seriously considering the highly rated Kumho Road Venture AT51's. My question is related to load and sidewall ratings since it impacts the price enough to ask about it. The WK w/Hemi comes with a class-IV hitch and so I do tow a fairly heavy old aluminum boat several times during the Summer, but I don't do any distant towing, just to the boat launch and back.

Q1: Is it worth the extra money to get the 10-ply variety?
Q2: All things being equal, do LT's get better tread life than standard load Passenger version?
Q3: And finally, how will the LT version impact my daily commute (no off-roading needed to get to work unfortunately) regarding comfort, gas mileage, etc.

And for what it's worth, I expect to drive in snow during the Cheeseconsin winters up here.

For those wondering about the ratings I found, here is a good line up of TireRack's Ratings for All-Terrain tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...earDiameter=17

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 12:51 PM
keggles

2008 WK 

Tires on the added weight of a Hemi/CRD will increase the wear of a typical passenger tire especially accompanied by towing weight. While some P tires can have higher ratings and be a good tire, an LT tire is built stronger to withstand increased tire pressures and typical wear and tear not associated with normal hard road driving, trails/rocks/etc... When you buy heavier tires it CAN decrease fuel efficiency, but if you have a lift chances are you have already experienced it and it's small at best until you reach the 32" + realm of the world. I had 245/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G1's on my 06WK4.7 and ran them for 50k, they were still worth probably another 10k. I swapped them for the new Terra Grappler G2's until the demise of that engine. I just put the same G2's on my 08Hemi.

As for the comfort and all.. I drive 100miles a day for work and I don't have any tire noise, gas mileage is the same as the JK take-offs with Wrangler SR-A 255/75/17 i just swapped, and if you do a lot of hard road driving just rotate them regularly to get the max life out of them. I worried most about road noise when new and when worn down, typically tires have the loud noise presence when they are worn down to a certain point. I live in Florida so I can't obviously speak about snow.

I'm a nut, but not just a nut.
08 WK 5.7 Hemi 4x4
06 WK 4.7 - RIP
Silver WK Club #63
post #3 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
goldcrown4
2005 WK 

Thank you for the response Keggles, and I sincerely hope Riverview didn't suffer too much damage from Irma. My MPG hardly changed at all with the 2" lift. My commute is mostly straight and level too. Wisconsin has a plethora of round-abouts now, so I swear they caused premature wearing of the Goodyears. Maybe I'll just keep shopping for best possible LT 10ply pricing. I suspect tire prices will just go up as Winter is right around the corner. Curious if you had to use spacers with the Nittos, which brand if so, and any other required mods to keep rubbing at bay like pinch-weld fold, and bolt trims?

post #4 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 01:31 PM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd stick with the P-Metric, realistically you're not going to be anywhere near the max weight for the tire. The 10 ply tires will ride rough compared to what you're used to and you'll also lose the treadlife warranty going to LT tires.
puppybreath likes this.

Hers - 2011 Dodge Durango Crew
Mine - 2003 Jeep Wrangler X
1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
post #5 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
goldcrown4
2005 WK 

I would not have known that about the tread-life warranty... thanks Fester.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-22-2017, 05:28 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

There are real differences between tires that are P rated and "E" rated, an E rated tire is much stiffer and should be inflated to a higher inflation pressure to support the same weight as a similar size P tire. While an E tire in a WK appropriate size might be rated to hold about 2755 lbs that is at 80 PSI, which is appropriate for a 3/4 ton pick up but I think too stiff and heavy for a vehicle the weight of a WK. I found a document put out by Bridgestone/Firestone that basically explains how to determine how much to increase tire pressure if you are going from a P tire to an LT tire of the same size. See this....

http://www.tiresafety.com/images/Tir...t%20Manual.pdf

You can see from this if you are running E rated tires on WK, if you are using the stock inflation pressures they will be underinflated and may run hot in highway driving in hot weather. I do mostly beach driving and for the beach you need a tire that flexes well and E tires don't at least on a vehicle the weight of the WK. So if you're running an LT245/70-17 tire, you'd have to inflate it to about 40 psi to get the same load capacity as the standard P rated 245/65-17s at 33 psi. We found about the same thing on our '98 ZJ, the OE tires were 225/75-15s inflated to 36 psi. We upsized it to LT 30"x9.5-15s (C rated) and we had to increase the pressure to about 40 psi as well.

If your off road use takes you to places that are hard on tires and there is a greater risk of punctures, then yes the extra strength of the LT "E" rated tires is worth it. Otherwise, you don't need the extra weight and stiffness.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #7 of 8 Old 09-25-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
goldcrown4
2005 WK 

Thank you for the response Lou... I found that document quite helpful. I think I'll save the extra dollars and get the P's.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-12-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
goldcrown4
2005 WK 

Got the passenger versions of the Kumho AT51's P265/70/17's installed yesterday. The ol' WK looks like a real Jeep again. I'd post a photo but the "insert image" icon is asking for a URL instead of a file location for me to upload it from. (Is having a 3rd party photo storage the only way to post images now?) The first 50 miles so far have been very good, SO much quieter than those worn out Forterras. I have very slight rubbing on the front wheel liners in turns, so I may still opt for the pinch weld mod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.