LR3? or Commander? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > LR3? or Commander?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #46
mc22958
2008 WK 

I own both Jeeps and Land Rovers. I haven't owned a LR3 but have many friends that do. It is a great off road truck if you want to thrash a 50K plus vehicle. The electronics on the LR3 are extensive and gas mileage stinks on premium. The drivability is fantastic and it has a bunch of trick features. If you decide on the LR3 I would get the extended warranty and figure that into the price. Out of warranty the electronics can destroy you. We recently purchased the Grand with the CRD and chose that over the LR3. I Have driven the Commander but not extensively. The Commander in my opinion does drive a little harsher than the LR3 but not a big difference. With the warranty, service costs and price It would be a no brainer to me. That is unless you want the pan-ash of driving the Land Rover and its trick electronics.

Discovery 4.6
mc22958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #47
SYCOHEMI

Well, I've done it. I've gone to the dark side. About six months ago, I sold my 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7L and now I have a 2005 Land Rover LR3.

I think gas mileage in both vehicles is sub par, but the gas tank in the LR3 is much larger, so range is significantly improved. A lot less gas station stops for me, but it does require premium fuel.

More interior and cargo room in the LR3, and I still will rarely use the third row.

I negotiated $7K off in May 2007, so I paid a very good price for an absolutely mint, soccer mom, garaged, 2005 LR3 SE with every conceivable option, including, of course, heavy duty package with locking rear differential. I couldn't pass it up.

The air suspension is really neat. I checked all the original owner's service records and a lot of stuff had been replaced. No problems for me in the last 6 months, except a leaking power steering box, which was replaced under factory original warranty, which is still in effect (4 years). My Jeep 2 year warranty had expired.

One bummer is that you can't fit very big tires on the LR3. But I do have some Nitto Terra Grapplers. I miss the Revo's that I had on the Commander.

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Last edited by SYCOHEMI; 11-30-2007 at 12:11 PM..
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 11:33 AM   #48
SYCOHEMI

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 11-30-2007, 03:45 PM   #49
Passatglx

I leased an LR3 V8 SE for 2 years now I'm in an Grand cherokee laredo 4.7. The LR3 is far superior but needs pads and tires replaced every 15k. The vehicle is far more technilogically advanced. Donot buy the v6, the v8's hardly push the near 6,000 lbs it weights. The jeep handles more like a car and is definetly quicker than the LR3. If your into luxury and have the extra $$$ for tires and brakes and will do real off roading go with the lr3.
Passatglx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #50
SYCOHEMI

Yeah, my 5.7L HEMI Commander definitely felt faster in a straight line as well as curves. The LR3 handling is predictable and smooth, but it is a heavy vehicle. Feels solid, but definitely does not feel fast, even with the smooth V8 engine that I have in the LR3.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 12-07-2007, 08:40 AM   #51
kawboy40
2009 JK Wrangler 

Damn SYCOHEMI that is a suprise that you sold your Commander. I've been lurking in this forum for a bit now and have read several of you posts here. Mainly the ones about your lift and Revos (w/pics).

So I have to ask, overall were you happy with the Commander? I've got my eye on a left over '07 Limited w/5.7L in bright silver that I'm considering trading in my GMC Z71 crew-cab in on.
kawboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #52
SYCOHEMI

Hello Kawboy,

I had a nice set up with the Commander. I had fixed all the issues, noisy windshield, a/c fan rattles, miscellaneous squeaks and rattles, perfect lift and tires. Someone got a very nice vehicle, all sorted out.

But I do enjoy the Land Rover LR3. Interior space and cargo space is much improved, third row seats are usable, although I don't use them much (today I am hauling 6 people around). Gas tank range is much better, 22.8 gallons in the LR3 versus 18.5 gallons. That was a major pain for me, filling up all the time, and worrying about running out of gas on off road trips, I would carry extra gas cans.

The Commander was more fun to drive on the road. They are about equal in terms of off road fun, in my opinion.

I was happy with the Commander, 5.7L HEMI. I do like the LR3 better. One pain about the LR3 is it is very tall, and I have a roof rack, so sometimes clearance in parking garages is an issue, never a problem with the lifted Commander.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.