LR3? or Commander? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > LR3? or Commander?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-19-2006, 12:08 AM   #31
SYCOHEMI

I think most of the SUV manufacturers have that very same problem with the third row footwells (or lack thereof). Rear axle and spare tire / fuel tank might be in the way.

'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 11:34 AM   #32
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

I figure if Land Rover can do it with their LR3, why can't Jeep?
Unread 01-20-2006, 12:28 AM   #33
SYCOHEMI

Good point. Plus the LR3 came out a while ago.

Would have been nice. I think most manufacturers know that the idea of "having 7 seats" as opposed to actually using "7 seats" is enough to make the sale in that aspect.

It fooled me...

But I am enjoying the boxy rear cargo area. I find that I can cram quite a bit of stuff in there.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Last edited by SYCOHEMI; 01-22-2006 at 01:30 AM..
Unread 01-20-2006, 10:04 AM   #34
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

The third row in the Commander barely fit children. I mean if your claiming in your ads that this is a seven passenger vehicle, it "should" seat seven passengers. This is were the LR3 really blows the Commander away. Though the LR3 is about 10-15k over the Commander you actually get functional and comfortable third row seats, as well as 300 HP on tap.
So the question is, do you go for the Commander with the HEMI and spend 40 odd some with horrible third row seats or spend more money and get "real" thrid row seats with the LR3? I guess it depends on if one really needs the third row or not. The reason why I'm looking at the Commander is the HEMI and the room you gain when compared to the Grand Cherokee knowing I'll probably never use the Commander's third row for its intended purpose.
The Grand Cherokee has smaller cargo room than the Commander. Plus the the second row seats in the Commander is more comfortable and has more room than the Grand Cherokee.
Unread 01-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #35
kchecca

Jeep designes their vehicles with higher ground clearance, thus the higher "floor" across the rear of the truck. I traded an 00 Durango for the Commander, and we lost room. The D had a much lower cargo area, but ground clearance suffered. Overall, it's not that the Commander has a better off-road chance, but brand loyalty and good styling (very subjective) won out for us.
kchecca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2006, 12:15 AM   #36
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

LR3 ground clearance is 9.5 versus 9.9, the Commander has a few "hairs" on the LR3. LR3 has "air-suspension" so the vehicle can lower or raise itself according to road conditions. So again why can't Jeep design better third row seats? Like I mentioned earlier in this post that I wouldn't use the third row and would for the most part keep that row folded. But it would be nice to have the ability to seat adults (6'1 - 6'2") comfortably in the third row. It is possible.
Like you, brand loyalty most likely would win me over as well. I do like the styling better than the LR3.
Unread 01-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #37
TRCommander

If it's utility and function you want go with the Commander. If it's prestiege and "oh look what I can afford" factor your looking for go with the LR3. The Jeep is cheaper more useful and comes with better reliability. Plus once you join the Jeep family you won't want to leave.

Last edited by TRCommander; 02-02-2006 at 11:01 AM..
TRCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2006, 09:17 PM   #38
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCommander
If it's utility and function you want go with the Commander. If it's prestiege and "oh look what I can afford" factor your looking for go with the LR3. The Jeep is cheaper more useful and comes with better reliability. Plus once you join the Jeep family you want to leave.
I am already part of the "family" I own an '02 GC, I was wondering as to why Jeep cannot make their third row fit better for adults like the LR3. Prestige has nothing to do with good engineering and design. I have test driven both and they're some things the LR3 has over the Jeep and visa versa.
The LR3 is, I feel the only vehicle I could compare the Commander to. Other than the obvious difference in price I feel both have good points and bad ones. Both have outstanding records for off-road capabilty. I couldn't very well compare the Commander with any other seven passenger SUV other than the Land Rover LR3.
The Land Rover LR3 has incredible design and engineering and off course Land Rover shares their off-road pedigree with Jeep having been the only companies that only make off road vehicles.
I would buy the Commander only because I have had my Jeep for awhile and "she" has never failed me off road or on. Brand loyalty pays off here. Plus the maintenance I assume is cheaper than Land Rover.
As I mentioned in my earlier posts I do not intend to use the third row in the Commander for passengers (only in emergencies) most times it would be folded. But if I needed that third row for passengers I know that the LR3 would fit my 6'2" friends quite comfortably.
Also, to take note, your last sentence, "Plus once you join the Jeep family you want to leave." I don't think you meant it. Did you mean to say you won't want to leave?

Last edited by wrigleylaredo; 01-29-2006 at 10:37 PM..
wrigleylaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:07 AM   #39
SYCOHEMI

I think he meant to say "you won't want to leave"
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 02-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #40
TRCommander

yes I did, sorry I corrected it. This forum is misquoting me. j/k
TRCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2006, 10:45 PM   #41
mariobox

You can find an interesting comparison between the Commander and the LR3 in this post:

http://jeepcommander.blogspot.com/20...rover-lr3.html

Best,

[url]http://jeepcommander.blogspot.com[/url]
mariobox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2007, 09:32 PM   #42
Baron58

Last week I purchased a new fully optioned '07 Commander Limited after a lengthy decision process. I won't go over the all the points previously mentioned in this thread. However price comparisons have been talked about and I wondered what 'street' prices of new Commanders were around the country. I'm aware of the depreciation issues with the Commander, but I was able to get a new one for $9,700 off list after incentives and dealer discounts at an Indiana dealer. This was a Commander with a March 07 build date and 14 miles on the odo at delivery. The concept of the Commander fits my mission and this discount & incentive will hopefully help offset the depreciation issue.
Baron58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2007, 12:16 AM   #43
goose1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleylaredo
I was wondering as to why Jeep cannot make their third row fit better for adults like the LR3.
i think one of the biggest reasons is the wheelbase of the two. the XKs wheelbase is the same as the WK: 109" or so. the LR3's wheelbase is over 112". with the XK the footwell is essentially sitting on top of the rear axle.

also, earlier you said the LR3's ground clearance is 9.5" and the XKs is 9.9". be careful. the Jeep website said the XK had 9.9" of ground clearance at the fuel tank. on the LR website, the 9.5" of clearance is at the rear diff. the axles have over 10" of clearance. the LR3 wins in ground clearance and approach/departure/breakover angles.

2008 Jeep Patriot Sporkt (MK) 26E
2.4L, CVVTII, 2WD, Black Exterior, Dark Gray Interior
goose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2007, 08:35 AM   #44
craigg
2006 XK Commander 

I recently drove both the LR3 and Commander. They were both excellent vehicles. The two final reasons that convinced me to buy the Commander are that there was limited dealer service available from Land Rover in my area plus the price difference was $17,000 for similarly equipped vehicles. Take that $17,000, invest it, and in 5 - 7 years you will have enough money to pay cash for a new Commander
craigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #45
cguthrie

Wow,

I'm getting ready to purchase a used 5.7 Commander tommorow, and was looking through the posts, and saw that I posted a couple years ago about upgrading from my 99Disco to a Commander when it was time.

New baby is coming in Jan, and Disco leaking from head gaskets, intake gasket, and radiator. I think the LR3's are nice, but I would have to have my head examined after the estimate I just got on my 99 Discovery with only 85K on it! (of course, that is considered "high milage" at Land Rover!)

My previous 3 cars had no problem going high miles, and for that much work to be needed before 100k is just insane to me. I'm just hoping that the 5.7 will be as reliable as most of my other vehicles.

CG
cguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.