LR3? or Commander? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > LR3? or Commander?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #16
bow Hunter

Well I would not say outstanding, I got 17MPG in my all wheel drive Expedition with the 5.4 so it just seems average... but it handles and drives like a maxima... I just wish it was better designed and built... I have never had it off road but the all wheel drive works great on snow and wet pavement...

The inside room is phenomenal but it seems much smaller on the outside than the expedition my wife had. Nissan had a great idea but they fell short....

bow Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #17
SYCOHEMI

Between the wife's '04 Cayenne S (4.5L), my '01 M5 (4.9L), and the Commander (5.7L), I'd be lucky to see 15MPG in any of them. They are mostly in the 14MPG range.

I'm hoping for the Commander to be the pack leader with the MDS, but still waiting to see, since I only have 4,600 miles on it.

Plus, since it has the new exhaust, I've been stomping on it a lot for fun, which I'm sure doesn't help the gas mileage, or environment. (But it's worth it).
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #18
vpiflyboy

Even though some of you guys do not use the thrid row seat, I think it will help in in the resale. My sister tried to sell her Durango without the third row seat option and had a tough time because 90% of the callers wanted the option. My Durango has the 3rd row seat and it is folded down most of the time since I carry 2 big dogs around. It has been there when I need it and I appreciate being able to throw the 2 extra people in the back when needed.
RE 4.5" SF
BFG Mud Terrain 33x12.50s/ Dana 44/ 3.73
Advance Adapters SYE/ Tom Woods Drive Shaft
Rancho RS9000X/ JKS Discos
Banks Torque Tube Headers/ Banks Stinger Cat-back
Hypertech III programmer/ Poweraide spacer/ K&N
MSD 6T Ignition with Firepower Ignition Kit
vpiflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #19
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

I don't think I would ever use the third row in the Cmdr. I would just keep them folded down until I needed them. It's just me my g/f and the dog. I like the Cmdr. over the GC because of the extra room you get for a few "pennies" more. I have seen two around my neighborhood so far. It looked much smaller out on the street than it did in the show room. The Cmdr. is just a hair longer and wider than the GC. I like that because I can still drive around in Chicago and not worry about parking it.
Unread 01-08-2006, 12:46 AM   #20
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
Web Wheeler

The LR3 really nice, The Air ride suspension is like nothing I have ever seen or driven stock, and the four wheel drive train seems to be very high tech (you decide if thats good or bad)

I would pick the LR3 just cause the Commander is sooo ugly, but I would get the Lexus LX first and formost, If I had the $80,000
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #21
SYCOHEMI

Almost every Toyota/Lexus dealer has one used LandCruiser/LX470 on their lot. A lot less than $80,000.

The one thing that stopped me from getting a Land Cruiser was that outdated underpowered engine, in my opinion. Oh, and the third row seating doesn't seem all that great either.

But other than that, seems like a fine vehicle and still classy. Saw the FJ Cruiser at the LA Auto Show. That might be interesting. I liked it.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #22
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

80k? WOW MIght as well get a Range Rover.
Unread 01-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #23
auggy

On this forum you will definately find more support for the commander, but the LR3 is a beautiful truck. I'm sure that it would be expensive to repair once the warranty has expired, but I would guess that they're fairly reliable vechicles based on the number of older 'rovers I see around here (in the terrible northeast Ohio climate).

We test drove an LR3 HSE and a Range Rover HSE when looking for a winter ride for my dad (who got a Lexus RX330 .. pffft =/) as well as a Commander and Laredo, and the LR3 (aside from the Range Rover) was by far the best all around truck. It rode like a car, felt like a limo inside and looked great. Granted, the Lexus feels like a limo inside as well, but it has zero offroad capability.
auggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #24
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

Auggy, I see in your sig, you have a Libby. How do you like them?
Getting back to the Cmdr. The Cmdr. offers more bang for the buck. Maintenance would probably be a little lower in overall cost than the Land Rovers. Plus I like the fact that Jeep is still built here in America. The new Wranglers that should be out soon looks great too. More angular and stout. The Cmdr. would fit my "bill" just fine. One of the things on my Jeep wish list would be an intergrated live weather doppler feeds into the nav. system. Since I enjoy long road trips. I mean if you can receive radio signals via satellite (Sirius, XM) then why couldn't one receive weather doppler radar images? If you can intergate that into the Jeep, then that would be something quite unique. Also power side mirrors to fold in.
Unread 01-08-2006, 07:28 PM   #25
bow Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleylaredo
80k? WOW MIght as well get a Range Rover.
We were talking about the GX the smaller Lexus Not the LX, the GX is about the same size as the LR3 and the Commander. They run about 50 grand..... about the same $$ as the LR3..
bow Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #26
auggy

Quote:
Auggy, I see in your sig, you have a Libby. How do you like them?
Getting back to the Cmdr. The Cmdr. offers more bang for the buck. Maintenance would probably be a little lower in overall cost than the Land Rovers. Plus I like the fact that Jeep is still built here in America. The new Wranglers that should be out soon looks great too. More angular and stout. The Cmdr. would fit my "bill" just fine. One of the things on my Jeep wish list would be an intergrated live weather doppler feeds into the nav. system. Since I enjoy long road trips. I mean if you can receive radio signals via satellite (Sirius, XM) then why couldn't one receive weather doppler radar images? If you can intergate that into the Jeep, then that would be something quite unique. Also power side mirrors to fold in.

I like it a lot but it's a completely different league from the other trucks you're talking about. I'm 17 and the liberty is technically my parents car, so I didn't really have a big say in buying it but I'm obviously thrilled to have it. If it had been my choice I would have gotten a wrangler or a smaller car of some sort, but the Liberty is a great ride. So far nothing has gone wrong on it, and offroad it seems like nothing can stop it. My Renegade has a cloth interior (I have no need for nor do I have the desire to have a leather interior) that isn't luxurious in any way but is very well put together. So far it has been a great vechicle-my only complaint is that the gas milage has dropped from 17mpg to 11mpg since winter started.

It seems like you're looking for a larger/more luxurious truck, so the LR3/Commander are great choices, but if you're looking for something a bit smaller maybe look into a Liberty Limited. The gas milage won't be very great but it's a very underrated offroad truck that handles great on road.
auggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #27
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

Actually, I have always loved the Wranglers and I might consider looking into the new Wranglers when they arrive at the dealerships soon. Granted there wouldn't be as much room as a Cmdr. or a GC but I like the look. To bad they don't have Selec-Trac in the Wranglers. If I were to get a Wrangler it would have to be a Rubi Unlimited in that cool orange color.
Unread 01-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #28
cguthrie

I have a 99DiscoII which has been great for me but may be getting low on space if we have another child. Currently we have one kid and 2 boxers. Everyone travels together.

Land Rovers are good for folks who have a full garage and are handy with multimeters, or like to spend a bunch at the dealer. Maybe the LR3 is better. Maybe not!

I'm a big believer in buying these trucks used, then driving them til they drop, but that's just me.

If we are blessed with another child I'll be looking for a used maxed out Commander in a couple years, if not, a used Range Rover would be nice! The LR3's are just too much extra electronics and Ford-like for me. Ford's not bad, but if I want Ford, I'd just buy Ford for less.

I'm guessing the HEMI might be a better power plant, and you might have less electronic issues, ABS etc., with a Jeep, but I may be wrong.

I do like the Commander!

CG
cguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2006, 03:12 AM   #29
bullaculla

Quote:
I don't think I would ever use the third row in the Cmdr. I would just keep them folded down until I needed them. It's just me my g/f and the dog. I like the Cmdr. over the GC because of the extra room you get for a few "pennies" more. I have seen two around my neighborhood so far. It looked much smaller out on the street than it did in the show room. The Cmdr. is just a hair longer and wider than the GC. I like that because I can still drive around in Chicago and not worry about parking it.
I've never had anyone sit back there, but I'm always in the back seat while i'm in between shoots. Its a great place to watch DVDs or play games. Fold the center portion down and use it as a foot rest.
Unread 01-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #30
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

I wonder how come Jeep can't get the third row seats with deeper footwells?
Mahallo brah!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.