LR3? or Commander? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > LR3? or Commander?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-18-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

LR3? or Commander?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were.
I test drove both Cmdr. Ltd. and LR3 HSE. To me the Cmdr. felt more spacious and it's really tough to beat a HEMI. The LR3 felt more luxurious, though the Nav. screen gets a little washed out when the sun hits it just right. It's touch screen but you have to put a little effort into it.
The 4x4 system seems easy enough, clever really. Seats felt better in the LR3 but I do like that "Saddle" trim in the Cmdr. The LR3 has wider viewing sunroof in the rear than the Cmdr. Heated windshield in the LR3. It also cost more ( LR3 MSRP. 53.4k vs. 42k for the Cmdr. with HEMI and Nav.sys.) and I'm sure maintenance would be painful. I like the bold stance of the Cmdr. Looks more rugged than the ultra modern looking LR3. I like the Nav. system better in the Cmdr. The third row seating in the LR3 can easily and comfortably fit a 6'3" adult ( Land Rover salesperson was at least 6'1"). The LR3 seems to have more cargo room with all seats folded, higher than wider than the Cmdr. 87.4 cu. in for the LR3 and 68.5 for the Cmdr. ( Specs from '06 brochures LR3 and Cmdr.)
Hm, well for my needs I don't need the third row seats since it's just me and my girlfriend and my Golden Retriever. But it would be nice to have them when I do have more people along for the ride. I would use the extra room for all my junk when we go our cabin, supplies, dog and what-nots. I guess for the money the Cmdr. Ltd. with the HEMI would be the better bet. Though the LR3 rode better on-road with four-wheel "air" suspension. Really trick but can you imagine what it would cost (after warranty) to repair?
I currently drive an '02 Laredo and I love it. But after seeing the Cmdr. in person I probably lean towards the Jeep. Something I'm familar with and I trust. I just wanted to know your thoughts on these capable and fresh SUV's. I have looked at the Overland and Ltd. Grands but there's something about the Cmdr. that reminds me of a good 'ol XJ , wrapped in a more contemporary skin.
Thanks

Unread 12-19-2005, 04:19 PM   #2
bullaculla

I also looked at the LR3 before the commander. I did like the 3rd row seat, but even in my jeep, its never up. One thing I did like that the jeep does not have is a cargo cover for the back. I have to use a moving pad to hide my gear.
Unread 12-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #3
SYCOHEMI

I went on a Land Rover day trip, and the local dealership let me drive a brand new LR3 for the day. I definitely liked it.

They said that the Jeep 4 Wheel Drive system is definitely Land Rover's strongest competitor.

I found nothing not to like about the LR3. Except, I figured about a $15,000 spread between the Commander Ltd. and the LR3 HSE, so I went with the Commander.

I also loved the HEMI engine, the use of non-premium gas, the more aggressive styling, and I was a little scared of the potential reliability issues on the LR3.

Either one is a superb vehicle though, I am sure I would have been quite happy with the LR3.

I felt the Commander had some of the qualities of the LR3 for a lot less money.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
SYCOHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #4
SYCOHEMI

I too, miss not having a cargo cover, it should have at least been an option.

I'm also finding that I am not using the third row as much as I would have thought. Maybe I will even take the seats out, but that would defeat the whole purpose of fold flat seats. They do take up some floor space.
'06 Commander Ltd, 5.7L Hemi, QDII, Midnight Blue, Gibson Exhaust, Raingler Net, K&N FIPK, Remote Start, Optima Yellow, Skid plates & Tow Hooks, Rocky Road 2.25 Lift, New Rear DT Shocks, 265/70R17 REVO's, 6061-T6 Custom Wheel Adapters, 4xGuard Rock Rails/Steps
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 12-20-2005, 11:48 PM   #5
bullaculla

Maybe they'll put a cargo cover on the '07 model. Sometimes I have all my gear to one side of the back so I can put a seat up. I have a child seat in the 2nd row, so I can really only put one more person in the back, so I sometimes have to use one of the 3rd row seats. but mostly I put one side up just cause it looks cool.
Unread 12-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
SYCOHEMI

So, I'm following a white LR3 today, and I am thinking, man is that rear split tailgate window design ugly or what???

Sure, they say it's practical, and it probably is, but it sure looks bizarre on the lighter colors. I'll take the rear of a Commander anyday over that.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE
Unread 12-29-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have driven both and say LR3 if you can afford it. They have way way less issues than the old LRs had and I just like their look. LR3 seems to be of higher quality in alot of areas.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
bow Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCOHEMI
So, I'm following a white LR3 today, and I am thinking, man is that rear split tailgate window design ugly or what???

Sure, they say it's practical, and it probably is, but it sure looks bizarre on the lighter colors. I'll take the rear of a Commander anyday over that.
Have you taken a look at your commander from any side???

I have several jeeps but mopar missed the mark on this one.....

Land rover and Commanders Resale is awful, I would look at lexus. for about the same amount of money as the LR3 you can get a NICE looking way better riding, More luxury... Great Resale.... and its better off road than the rebaged Grand (AKA Commander) it won 4 wheel and off road truck of the year... If money is the main concern then go with the Grand or the commander other than the body they are pretty much the same.. Toyoto/ Lexus is # 3 and working on GM for # 2 ... Their is a reason for this......Quality, Design, Value...... I bought a nissan Armada When they came out and have regreted not getting the toyota... My 42000 dollar truck is now worth about what I owe 22 grand... and its not two years old yet...
bow Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
SYCOHEMI

The sides of the Commander versus the sides of a Nissan Armada???

I don't think you're going to win any style show downs with a vehicle that looks like it has a broken back from the rear quarter roofline, to put it politely. My wife says from the sides, it looks like two different vehicles welded together, and that's not a compliment.

Can you accurately judge resale on a vehicle that has only been released 3 months ago? Sure, you can speculate. Maybe 1-2% of initially sold Commanders have been resold, so that tells you how accurate your calculations would be. Yes, Land Rover Discovery vehicle resale is horrendous, as is their service history. Not sure how the LR3 is yet, as it's still relatively young.

(Not that I expect the Commander to be in line with BMW or Lexus, but then again, it doesn't cost quite as much either, so you've spent less dollars initially, opportunity costs).

Yeah, Lexus GX470 is a great vehicle, but why not save the $10,000 and just buy the Toyota 4Runner. Talk about rebadged. Lexus is the master of that.

The Commander is not simply a rebadged GC. The 4Runner and GX470 share far more in common in design, parts, and build, if you're concerned about rebadging. Nice rear door on the GX, too bad we're not in Japan or England, where the door would actually open to the curb. Great third row too - for stowing in your garage closet.

SUV of the year. We all know that just comes down to advertising dollars. Go look at the advertising sales contract that Toyota/Lexus has with that magazine.

Enjoy your Armada, I hear the braking system is as lovely as the gas mileage. Be sure to allow adequate stopping distance with those rotors.

Sorry for swaying off topic. Just trying to address some misconceptions.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Last edited by SYCOHEMI; 01-03-2006 at 11:25 PM..
Unread 01-04-2006, 09:58 AM   #10
bow Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCOHEMI
The sides of the Commander versus the sides of a Nissan Armada???

I don't think you're going to win any style show downs with a vehicle that looks like it has a broken back from the rear quarter roofline, to put it politely. My wife says from the sides, it looks like two different vehicles welded together, and that's not a compliment.

Can you accurately judge resale on a vehicle that has only been released 3 months ago? Sure, you can speculate. Maybe 1-2% of initially sold Commanders have been resold, so that tells you how accurate your calculations would be. Yes, Land Rover Discovery vehicle resale is horrendous, as is their service history. Not sure how the LR3 is yet, as it's still relatively young.

(Not that I expect the Commander to be in line with BMW or Lexus, but then again, it doesn't cost quite as much either, so you've spent less dollars initially, opportunity costs).

Yeah, Lexus GX470 is a great vehicle, but why not save the $10,000 and just buy the Toyota 4Runner. Talk about rebadged. Lexus is the master of that.

The Commander is not simply a rebadged GC. The 4Runner and GX470 share far more in common in design, parts, and build, if you're concerned about rebadging. Nice rear door on the GX, too bad we're not in Japan or England, where the door would actually open to the curb. Great third row too - for stowing in your garage closet.

SUV of the year. We all know that just comes down to advertising dollars. Go look at the advertising sales contract that Toyota/Lexus has with that magazine.

Enjoy your Armada, I hear the braking system is as lovely as the gas mileage. Be sure to allow adequate stopping distance with those rotors.

Sorry for swaying off topic. Just trying to address some misconceptions.

I am not comparing My wifes Armada to the Jeep. I am simply stating that I bought that POS Nissan and made a drastic mistake. because now I pay $1000 a month and it depreciates about 1100 a month. I looked at and drove the Lexus and the toyoto Sequoia and wish I would have saved 2 grand and bought the toyota or spent 10 more and bought the Lexus.... And yes the Armada has had 6 sets of rotors and brakes ( and Nissan gave me 6 grand back for that) and they have now fixed the problem... but it is still a POS. AS for milage I get 18 MPG??? not sure what you think it should get??? It runs like a bat out of hell, and that is what sold me!! I am just making a statement that the guy should look at the big picture for the long haul or resale so he won't be locked in for the long haul..
I am for sure not telling him to buy a POS Nissan (unless he wants mine)

In my case I went with the new girl with the big Ta's Ta's and said to hell with reason. No need for this guy to go with the new ugly step sister (Comander) Just because she is a cheap date!! I call um like I see um... The lexus is the better deal when compared to the LR3, they are very similar in price and luxury. The Lexus just has a better resale and dependability record. (I driven both and the lexus is hands down a tighter Truck. The LR3 has more power though...

Just go on ebay and see what each truck is selling for, use the Grand for the commander. I think the grand appeals to a wider group so the resale will prob. be better than the love it or hate it comander.
One other thing to help you on your debate, the comander is brand new yet they are now offering incentives to sell them........ Cars and trucks that sell well are usually excluded... and if your are not the top seller when your are brand new it usually does not get any better.... As far as the Toyota 4 runner as you mentioned above it would be a better choice even though it is a little more pricey than the comander. Like I said I have several jeeps mainly Wranglers and one Liberty... and I love my jeeps, But the comander is just wrong........ I hated the square boxy cherokee Mainly because it was an ugly unibody truck..... the Comander has some strong resemblance to the 80's designed cherokee... The back is nice though..... (Would this make the comander the ugly step sister with a JLo Butt????)))))
Unread 01-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #11
Syntheglass

sounds like you guys need to get a new hobby.....like buying real trucks.

Want in one hand and sh#% in the other, and see which one fills up faster.
Syntheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
bow Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntheglass
sounds like you guys need to get a new hobby.....like buying real trucks.
Such as a 80's designed boxy station wagon that has no back bone (AKA Frame)???

I have two tj's and My daily driver is a 05, F250 Powerstroke (dana 60's 4" Donahoe racing Lift 18" Welds and dual cup holders..... oh and my wife has a POS nissan and the barley a jeep.......... liberty...... If I could find a dealer who would give me more than 18 grand for my Nissan I would have a lexus... I just trying to save the guy some greif.... Its not fun being upside down on a car, so if you find you don't want it your stuck....
Unread 01-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #13
XKShawn

I've been watching this site for several weeks while I've been deciding what to get - between the LR3, 4Runner, Armada, Tahoe, and Commander. I finally decided on the Commander based on what I've read here as well as on forums for the other models. The Armada in particular has some serious quality issues (just like my wife's '04 Quest) that are repeated all over the Nissan forums by Armada owners. That company has some serious quality issues with their larger vehicles. It's also a freakin' huge truck (although quick) and wouldn't fit in my garage. At 6'1", my head hit the roof inside the 4Runner (with sunroof), so that one is out. And the '07 Tahoe will be too big and lack any real off-road capability. So it's between the LR3 and Commander, and it's really no contest based on what I've seen and read (and test-driven). Why pay 10-15k more for a landrover when the XK seems to be equal or better than the LR3 in just about every category?

So now I just need to pull the trigger on my new black Hemi Limited. Probably sometime next month, depending on what the dealers have on the lot. I can't wait to get back into the Jeep fold and add new line to my signature...
XKShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
bow Hunter

Good for you pinto.... You are right about nissan serious interior and quality problems.. I have some hunting land about 50 miles from the nissan plant and know some of the people who work their.... Alot of the workers have never even had a new car let alone built one.... So lets just say their standards may not be as high as mine or yours... Example: Nissan had to bring in observers to watch the line because the new cars were getting to the end of the line with tons of scratches..... They determined after weeks of watching and inspections that all the gold rings, chains and teeth (I just made the teeth part up) were scratching the paint as the workers put them together. I also heard about 3o some odd were fired for having sex in the parking lot.... That was until the rest of the workers found out that nissan had new fangled cameras in the parking lot...
A lunch Booty call........ Who would have thunk it!!!

That reminds me why we did not even look at the 4 runner... serious head room problems and I am just 6'0"..
Unread 01-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #15
SYCOHEMI

Congrats Pinto. I think you'll like the Commander. I feel good about saving $10K too over the LR3. Plus, since it's new, I'm able to help get some aftermarket parts developed for it.

I'm 6'0" with plenty of headroom. The stadium seating and mid row skylights are a definite plus. I think a lot of people cross shop the Commander and the LR3. The Land Rover dealership invited me to another outing, but I was told that I probably shouldn't show up in the Commander - so that tells you something.

Wow, Bowhunter, that is outstanding gas mileage for something that big. I do hear that the engine in the Armada is awesome. I am enjoying my HEMI engine too.

The one thing that really bugs me about the Commander is the left side of the driver footwell, it seems very tight.
'05 Land Rover LR3 SE

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.