Lower Shock Mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Lower Shock Mount

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
05haWKjeep

Lower Shock Mount

Hey guys. Need some help again.

So I installed my lift over a a year ago. Just a simple 2"spacer kit. After the installation I immediately noticed a clanking or rattling noise coming from the right rear. Over even the smallest of bump in the road. It has been driving me absolutely nuts for like a year now. So I bought new tires finally (BFG RT 265/70/17) and when I went to throw them on I laid down under the back right side just to investigate the noise.

I noticed that the Lower shock mount bolt did not seem to be tightened down all the way. The flange on the bolt head was not resting up again the mounting bracket but rather there was over a 1/4 inch of space. I grabbed my ratchet and breaker bar and got to work trying to tighten the bolt. Next thing i know the bolt has sheared off completely and pulls right out. So the dilemma.

I need to know a few things.

1. Is this loose bolt the reason for the rattling noise I have been hearing? Obviously it needs fixed anyway, but just interested if anyone knows for sure.

2. The nut on the curbside of the bolt seems to be fused to the mount. I don't know if this is due to rust or factory setup? Is the nut on the curbside permanently and purposefully fused?

3. How do I remove the nut and/or the remainder of the bolt that remains in the nut? I was going to just bore it out with a drill bit. Then just go buy a brand new nut and bolt?

Thanks dudes!! I need to post a pic of my jeep on this mafk.

image.jpeg   image1.jpg  
05haWKjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
bhawks28
2009 WK 

My lower shock bolt broke when I was installing my lift. This could absolutely be the cause of some rattling. The nut is welded on there from the factory I believe. I used an angle grinder to remove the nut and put in my own nut/bolt
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
sebastien
2006 WK 

1. IDK, seems possible..

2. It is welded.

3. I guess you would have to drill it out..IDK how else to get it?
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
tom19511
2006 WK 

Cant you use PB Blaster on the remaining bolt and use visegrips to unscrew it out?
2007 Liberty Sport 3.7
tom19511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
wkearney99
2006 WK 

According to the parts list the shock has a bolt and a separate nut.

I'd have pasted them all in one image but the forum limits uploads to 800x800.
rearsuspension-table.png   rearsuspension.png   rearsuspension-table-1.png  
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
According to the parts list the shock has a bolt and a separate nut.

I'd have pasted them all in one image but the forum limits uploads to 800x800.
No - Sebastian is correct. The lower rear shock bolt threads to a welded on nut.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
wkearney99
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
No - Sebastian is correct. The lower rear shock bolt threads to a welded on nut.
That being the situation then it would seem like grinding off the old nut and replacing it is probably the 'least worst' way to solve the problem.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
That being the situation then it would seem like grinding off the old nut and replacing it is probably the 'least worst' way to solve the problem.
That's one option yes.

I'd give it some PBB for some time and heat the bolt - then see if vice grips won't unthread it.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
That's one option yes.

I'd give it some PBB for some time and heat the bolt - then see if vice grips won't unthread it.
Yeah I torched mine for a little while. Wasn't having much luck with it and then we ran out of acetylene. Then came the angle grinder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.