JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Lower Shock Mount (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/lower-shock-mount-1537181/)

05haWKjeep 06-16-2013 11:43 AM

Lower Shock Mount

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. Need some help again.

So I installed my lift over a a year ago. Just a simple 2"spacer kit. After the installation I immediately noticed a clanking or rattling noise coming from the right rear. Over even the smallest of bump in the road. It has been driving me absolutely nuts for like a year now. So I bought new tires finally (BFG RT 265/70/17) and when I went to throw them on I laid down under the back right side just to investigate the noise.

I noticed that the Lower shock mount bolt did not seem to be tightened down all the way. The flange on the bolt head was not resting up again the mounting bracket but rather there was over a 1/4 inch of space. I grabbed my ratchet and breaker bar and got to work trying to tighten the bolt. Next thing i know the bolt has sheared off completely and pulls right out. So the dilemma.

I need to know a few things.

1. Is this loose bolt the reason for the rattling noise I have been hearing? Obviously it needs fixed anyway, but just interested if anyone knows for sure.

2. The nut on the curbside of the bolt seems to be fused to the mount. I don't know if this is due to rust or factory setup? Is the nut on the curbside permanently and purposefully fused?

3. How do I remove the nut and/or the remainder of the bolt that remains in the nut? I was going to just bore it out with a drill bit. Then just go buy a brand new nut and bolt?

Thanks dudes!! I need to post a pic of my jeep on this mafk.

bhawks28 06-17-2013 09:55 AM

My lower shock bolt broke when I was installing my lift. This could absolutely be the cause of some rattling. The nut is welded on there from the factory I believe. I used an angle grinder to remove the nut and put in my own nut/bolt :thumbsup:

sebastien 06-17-2013 11:30 AM

1. IDK, seems possible..

2. It is welded.

3. I guess you would have to drill it out..IDK how else to get it?

tom19511 06-17-2013 03:56 PM

Cant you use PB Blaster on the remaining bolt and use visegrips to unscrew it out?

wkearney99 06-18-2013 11:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
According to the parts list the shock has a bolt and a separate nut.

I'd have pasted them all in one image but the forum limits uploads to 800x800.

JeepN4KC 06-18-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkearney99 (Post 15577067)
According to the parts list the shock has a bolt and a separate nut.

I'd have pasted them all in one image but the forum limits uploads to 800x800.

No - Sebastian is correct. The lower rear shock bolt threads to a welded on nut.

wkearney99 06-18-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepN4KC (Post 15577250)
No - Sebastian is correct. The lower rear shock bolt threads to a welded on nut.

That being the situation then it would seem like grinding off the old nut and replacing it is probably the 'least worst' way to solve the problem.

JeepN4KC 06-19-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkearney99 (Post 15577446)
That being the situation then it would seem like grinding off the old nut and replacing it is probably the 'least worst' way to solve the problem.

That's one option yes.

I'd give it some PBB for some time and heat the bolt - then see if vice grips won't unthread it.

bhawks28 06-19-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepN4KC (Post 15581838)
That's one option yes.

I'd give it some PBB for some time and heat the bolt - then see if vice grips won't unthread it.

Yeah I torched mine for a little while. Wasn't having much luck with it and then we ran out of acetylene. Then came the angle grinder

The time now is 10:57 PM.