Low Sulfur Diesel/Diesel#2 in CRD and Break-in - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Low Sulfur Diesel/Diesel#2 in CRD and Break-in

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

Low Sulfur Diesel/Diesel#2 in CRD and Break-in

I have been reading a current Thread here regarding a bunch of 2007 CRDs for sale that have had to have their fuel systems rebuilt/replaced do to being shipped from the factory with "contaminated fuel". (You can find some on eBay) Any more thoughts on what type of fuel it might have been? Gas? LSD? Truly bad fuel? The reason I ask is that I have been shopping for an 08 CRD (I like the interior updates & MyGig) for some time and have found quite a few good deals on dealer lots on 08 CRDs that have been sitting for, in some cases, 15 months! Most of them have 100 miles or less on them and have used up the 1/4 tank of fuel that they all seem to come with from the factory. Most have been refueled over time by inventory or sales associates and when I ask what type of diesel was put in them, no one, and I mean no one at any of these dealerships has any clue that there are 2 types of OnRoad diesel (LSD-06 and older, ULSD-07 and newer). There is a lot of LSD here in Atlanta and there is a very good chance many were filled up with LSD and not ULSD. I have been very disappointed at the lack of product knowledge by the dealers selling them. Anyway, would one possible tank of regular LSD(Diesel #2)destroy the fuel system? I hope not but with it being so early in break in, could it cause a problem? Also, would you avoid a CRD that had probably spent a fair amount of time "idling" on a dealer's lot over the past year? I've read about "glazing" of the cylinder walls caused by too much idling during break in and causing the piston rings to never quite "seat" correctly. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch. I really want to join the GC CRD club.

Last edited by CRD Dawg; 01-09-2009 at 08:27 PM..
CRD Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Jeep Brian

No one tank will not kill the truck. I would not run any LSD in a truck/SUV that was made for ULSD, but if you were out in the boonies and need fuel and they only had LSD I would only fill enough to get to some ULSD. I would not worry about buying any of these trucks.

Hers: 14 Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi

68 Firebird 350 4 spd #'s matching
Jeep Brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
crush33

"LSD" (500 ppm sulfur diesel) will not hurt the fuel system, the issue is with the DPF. ULSD (15ppm sulfur) is required for 2007MY and beyond DPF-equipped diesels because the DPF is poisoned by excessive amounts of sulfur. One or two tanks of LSD won't hurt a thing if you need to run it in a pinch. It should be phased out by now anyways, I haven't seen it in the pumps in this area in well over a year now.
crush33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

What about incorrect break in? Should I be concerned with too many hours of idling over the last year? I'm sure there is no way to track engine hours. Many people seem to subscribe to the "let it warm up, then drive it like you stole it" theory. I've never thought it a good practice because even if it was good for the engine (which I doubt it is), it can't be good for the new tranny or the rear diff (I'm looking at 2wd's only). Can anyone explain to a non-technician the proper break in technique and it's theory for a new diesel engine? Should I get the oil changed immediately, 1k, 3k? Also is the oil that is initially put in the new engine any different than the oil I would get in subsequent oil changes? The one I'm most interested in has 45 miles on it and has been at the dealer since Oct. 7, 2007! Thanks again for any advice you can give and sorry for the ridiculous barrage of questions.
Unread 01-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #5
mc22958
2008 WK 

The typical diesel does not need an extensive break in period. However, it is not good to have any engine sitting for months with out running. Just have the dealer add an extended warranty to the mix. I don't think you would have any problems but if you did it would be covered. I would also change the oil and the fuel fiter, as part of the sales deal, just to be safe.
Discovery 4.6
mc22958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
rsq41
2007 WK 

And then ask for one of the empty oil containers or an extra quart of oil to make sure they put in the right oil... I went to a dealer that sells and services Dodge Spinters and the "express oil" guys still got it wrong! : Of course they changed the oil and filter again there on the spot... And I made them provide me with an invoice for a no charge oil change due to the previous error...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc22958 View Post
I would also change the oil and the fuel fiter, as part of the sales deal, just to be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaspencer View Post
I have been very disappointed at the lack of product knowledge by the dealers selling them.
Unread 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

For future service would you recommend having it serviced at a Benz dealer or would it be best to have records of service at a Chrysler dealer w/ a Dodge Sprinter franchise? Does anyone know if the oil in the engine at the original delivery is the same as the Mercedes oil that is intended to be used at future oil change intervals? I have read about some cars supposedly coming with "break in" oil from the factory. Is there really such a thing or is that not really true? Thanks again...
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
Spider-One
2008 WK 

Benz is using Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP formula with these engines now. I believe most dealership that use the right oil use Amsoil... could be wrong though. If you don't want to do it yourself a dealership can do it fine if you make sure the use the right oil and filling procedure.
Unread 01-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
no-blue-screen
2008 WK 

I have not heard of them using a break-in oil. First oil change interval would likely be different if that were the case. Usually, engines are given a run-in before they are even dropped in the vehicle....at least that is what I understand. This eliminates the need for a break-in oil or extended break-in period. The owners manual gives instructions for break-in so I would just follow those and you should be okay.

The dealer oil is Mobil1. The 5w40 grade ESP is actually known as 'Formula M' as it is designed for the mercedes spec. The dealers do not use amsoil. I use Total INEO MC3/Elf Solaris LLX (they are both the same product and Total is the new name). More importantly you need to make sure the oil meets the 229.51 spec from Mercedes.

Formula M ESP 5w40:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...la_M_5W-40.asp

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30:

http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lube...mula_5W-30.asp

Total Quartz INEO MC3:

http://www.totalmotoroils.com/lub/lubusa.nsf/VS_OPM/CF920CC51D290DB9C125732F006D719C?OpenDocument

CRD TURBO SEAL OIL LEAK FIX
WK CRD - EGR CLEANING WRITE-UP
MY FUEL ECONOMY DATABASE
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

Mercedes uses a specific oil that meets specs when manufacturing. I can't remember the brand but I don't believe it is anything special and is on the list, I looked it up once. The Mercedes forums believe that the oil is special or has a special additive and you should not change your first oil until 10,000 miles because of that. I have not found hard evidence other than word of mouth on that. Nothing in print that I could find and I spent a good bit of time trying to find it.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

Would you recommend servicing the vehicle at a Benz dealer? Would they even take it? I have NO faith in any Chrysler dealers' ability, training, interest and patience to service these awesome SUVs. Every time I talk with a Jeep service advisor or technician they tell me to stay away. I think it's out ignorance and lack of training but that's my point exactly. I've spoken with several people at Jeep dealers that say they've received virtually no support or training because Daimler/Chrysler split and Daimler headed on down the road. By the way is this a Benz tranny? I know the rear axle is Chrysler. When has Benz last made a rear wheel drive 5 speed tranny? 05-06 E-Class maybe that had the Inline 6 CDI, V6 & V8 gas? Thanks again for all the guidance. I'm a longtime Diesel Benz fan and Jeep fan... I was meant to own one of these...
Unread 01-13-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
TonyVideo

2008 WK 

The only thing I would recommend is find a dealer who is also a Dodge Sprinter dealer. This is a van they retro also for commercial use. It has the same engine. They typically have someone who is sufficiently trained on the engine. Search through the forums. Somebody posted a list of Sprinter dealers.
1985 Jeep Larado 4.0L Sold
TonyVideo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #13
CRD Dawg
2008 WK 

Thanks. I do believe I remember reading a post that has a link to that list of Dodge Sprinter dealers nationwide. I'll do a search...
Unread 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
mc22958
2008 WK 

When I took our truck to the dealer to fix the exhaust bracket and look at the oil leak, crankcase vent, they had never worked on a diesel yet. The lead tech looked at the truck and let me watch as he checked things out. I told him what I had read on this forum about the problems. He listened and then pulled the procedures from the computer and then made a couple of calls. My point is if the techs let you watch and listen to you then all is good. The problem arises from big shops that wont let you in the back or let the tech listen to you. The MB diesel is new to them and they have a big learning curve. Not all dealers are bad.
Discovery 4.6
mc22958 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
YB Normyl
2008 WK 

Haven't done my 1st oil change yet, service was set at 11,000 miles when i bought it. I thought that was a bit long but after reading Tony's post it makes sense.
YB Normyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.