Loud tow hitch?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Loud tow hitch??

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Loud tow hitch??

For those of you who tow with their WK, here's a ? for ya.

Last weekend I was home working with my father, and we were towing a small trailer for a log splitter, and various other tools. When we would go over a bump, the bang from the receiver was so loud in the cabin, I thought it had broken or the trailer was coming off the ball and slamming back down.

When we got back home, we took off the trailer and jiggled the ball mount, and it was VERY loose inside the receiver.

Is the class IV receiver larger than a class III? I'm just shocked that that much noise would be transferred through the hitch.

Anyone else with this problem?

'06 WK 4.7
Towing Package

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
S2WOOOW

Yes, we have the same problem. The factory installed hitch is a standard 2" receiver. The only other common size hitch is 1 1/4"

I'm going to try to rap it with some electrical tap next time to quiet it down. Structurally, I don't think it;s a problem.
S2WOOOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
nierace
2003 WJ 

Theres adapters you can buy that they should have at autozone that goes over the ball mount that forces it to stay in place instead of bouncing loosely...You may want to drive a new ball mount though, that one may be on the smaller side, mine is very snug fit where as my shackle mount is fairly loose.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #4
nierace
2003 WJ 

Antirattle brackets :

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...ttle-brackets/
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #5
PugetHound

go to u-haul and buy the "silent hitch bolt" and put it on, $21 no more noise.

06 Commander Limited 5.7 Hemi !
PugetHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 11:29 PM   #6
cmd peej

Hey Fartz...

Is that your real license plate?
cmd peej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
cmd peej

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPrat
When we would go over a bump, the bang from the receiver was so loud in the cabin, I thought it had broken or the trailer was coming off the ball and slamming back down.
I noticed the same thing today while towing my boat. The first time it happened I actually got out and check it out (sounded like my hitch broke.)

I've done a lot of towing with my Jeep and this is the first time this has happened. A recent change I did was replace the standard hitch pin with a "locking" pin. For what I read above in this thread, it sounds like the noise is coming from the slightly larger interior dimensions of the 2" receiver coupled with a "loose" pin. I guess I'll either try one of the Uhaul pins mentioned above or go back to my standard non-locking pin.

For what it's worth, I like the slightly larger fit of the Jeep receiver. My previous rig (99 Dodge Durango) had a very tight receiver. I was almost never able to pull the 2" bar with the ball mount out of the receiver by hand if I didn't need it installed. The only way I was able to remove it was by taking the pin out (of course) and then tying a towing strap to it and putting the other end around a tree. After a tug with the Durango, it would pop out. If you'll pardon the expression, it always slid in so easy!
Unread 11-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
jeep_on

Im wondering if its not just sloppiness in the ball mount, and not the Jeeps receiver. I have noticed this with my WJ a few times. I have a set of balls (no pun intended) one is 2 the other is 2 5/16. The ball mount with the 2 ball fits tightly into the reciver, where as the mount with the 2 5/16 ball is a little lose. The only difference between the two are the make of the ball mounts.

Maybe check out Advance, AutoZone, or U-Haul and find a ball mount that fits tightly into your receiver. Once you have it, leave it installed. I rarely remove mine unless I really have to, it Im swapping balls.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
cmd peej

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on
Maybe check out Advance, AutoZone, or U-Haul and find a ball mount that fits tightly into your receiver. Once you have it, leave it installed. I rarely remove mine unless I really have to, it Im swapping balls.
I STILL think it's the pin since that's the only thing I changed. I pulled my boat several times earlier this year without this annoying noise that I noticed yesterday while pulling the boat.

Re leaving the ball mount attached ALL the time, that's what I do most of the time. Besides providing a nice first step in the rear while washing the top of the vehicle, it also provides a nice initial crash barrier for some numb-nuts from hitting my rear bumper while parking behind me.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.