loose rattling sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > loose rattling sound

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNew Hours at RUFFSTUFF!Enjoy 5% off in April 2000-2006 Jeep Wrangler Ignition Coi

Unread 03-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
frozenstar
2006 WK 

loose rattling sound

hey peeps.

im hearing a rattling sound like something is loose when driving, the sound is coming from the left (driver for me, passenger for you guys) but only when moving, no noise if still. any options for what i can look for?

secondly after driving and car is warmed up well, im hearing a groaning noise that comes and goes quite quickly and gets noiser the longer im driving, accelerating or braking doesnt affect or produce the sound and can happen moving or stationary.

any tips and advice is welcome before i consider going garage

frozenstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #2
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

worn end links, and worn sway bar bushings can cause something like that and the nut on top of struts not being torqued can cause this as well. Been there.
Black WK Club #152
luckyse7ens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
lma1973

Mine is rattling too when i go over bumps. Can kinda feel it isn the steering wheel as well. Feels like bushing and/or ball joints in the front end?
Unread 03-13-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
NotDamian

What's the nut ontop of the strut supposed to be torqued to? I have the OME strut
NotDamian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #5
frozenstar
2006 WK 

ah ok as i have recently had my front struts changed. antil roll bar links iv had done for few months more so im guess they ok. but will check it out, thanks guys
Unread 03-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
frozenstar
2006 WK 

have had a quick look and discovered my wheel arch liner was very loose, seems to have lost some studs so iv zip tied it best i can and check if noise persists. the strut bolts seem tight from what i can tell.
Unread 03-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenstar View Post
have had a quick look and discovered my wheel arch liner was very loose, seems to have lost some studs so iv zip tied it best i can and check if noise persists. the strut bolts seem tight from what i can tell.
It has to be VERY tight. Visually checking them doesn't do you any good. (Mine appeared plenty tight, but rattled like crazy.) If this started after your shocks were replaced then the two are almost definitely linked. I would take it back and tell the shop it rattles now.
Black WK Club #152
Unread 03-29-2015, 02:39 AM   #8
frozenstar
2006 WK 

ok, quick update, iv had everything checked and nothing was loose but im still hearing this rattling, loose sound.. almost as if its coming from the dash it seems that close to me.. anything else i can check thats known for coming loose?
Unread 03-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #9
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

Oh boy, well I've chased rattles forever and found them in the most obvious spots. Change in center console, toys in pockets in the doors, etc.

You feel like it's inside? Windows up or down change the noise?
Unread 03-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
luckyse7ens
2010 XK Commander 

I recently fixed a rattle that turned out to be my brake rotor dust guard.
Unread 03-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
frozenstar
2006 WK 

if i wind the window down i cant hear it outside, it kinda sounds like its from the very top of the engine bay or even rear of the dash, but im hearing it both sides now. iv had my wheel hubs changed as they was worn but never heard them inside the car b4. iv got it back in tomoz and they guna double check suspension again, i told them the torque setting just incase, and they guna check all engine mounts and the whole bay for anything loose. will mention the brake guard too them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.