Looking for stereo recommendations. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking for stereo recommendations.

FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till ApriJKS Jspec Suspension BLOW-OUT FEBRUARY ONLY!! HURRY UP!Income tax season is upon us. We got what u need

Unread 01-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #1
mattWK
2007 WK 

Looking for stereo recommendations.

Currently have this crappy stock rec stereo or whatever it is. I'm playing music through the AUX port but I feel like I need to have bluetooth/spotify integration by now, considering it's 2016...

However I'm not trying to break the bank. (I would consider getting into the $400-$500 range if the features are right). I just want spotify/bluetooth integration, which should be a given, but I also want to match the interior lighting so that it complements the instrument panel and interface well without being too flashy...

Do aftermarket systems render the steering controls useless or is there some sort of adapter? (only interested in volume control really)

Looking for recommendations, did some searching around but thought I could get some good advice with a current thread and something specific to our vehicles.
If it matters I have the boston acoustics system.

mattWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2016, 10:31 PM   #2
optdoug
2006 WK 

There are tons of Android systems out there for pretty cheap. You can buy adapters that will allow your steering wheel controls works too. I have been debating on getting one of these myself.
http://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...tereo&tbm=shop
optdoug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

I decided to keep my factory electronics (I have the REV, and I like playing DVD-audio discs), But, as much as I am a fan of Boston Acoustics (got 3 sets of their home speakers), the OEM Boston car speakers were a BIG disappointment. They are really just wizzers with the Boston name on them. I replaced the dash board and rear door speakers with Infinity Reference coaxials and SHAZAM it sounds great now! I still have the OEM woofers in the front doors, as I could not find anyone making an aftermarket 6x9 that wasn't a coaxial.

I think if I were going to get a new head unit that has new features like BT4 & USB input, I'd get an Alpine
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #4
DuncsJeeps
Peacekeeper

2006 XK Commander 

If you're an iPhone user, the units with Car Play are pretty slick.

I believe some of the units have a special harness that can be used to connect your existing steering wheel controls.
DuncsJeeps is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #5
hansh
1966 CJ5 

I have a Kenwood in my van and it has the capabilities to use the steering wheel controls, but the van does not have them. Usually there is a harness adapter is all you need for the good quality systems.
hansh is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
Tango.
2008 WK 

get a mygig from a wrecker
Unread 01-22-2016, 11:55 PM   #7
chance_p
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattWK View Post
Currently have this crappy stock rec stereo or whatever it is. I'm playing music through the AUX port but I feel like I need to have bluetooth/spotify integration by now, considering it's 2016...

However I'm not trying to break the bank. (I would consider getting into the $400-$500 range if the features are right). I just want spotify/bluetooth integration, which should be a given, but I also want to match the interior lighting so that it complements the instrument panel and interface well without being too flashy...

Do aftermarket systems render the steering controls useless or is there some sort of adapter? (only interested in volume control really)

Looking for recommendations, did some searching around but thought I could get some good advice with a current thread and something specific to our vehicles.
If it matters I have the boston acoustics system.
The main thing you need to focus on when making your decision is what model has compatibility with your device. You never said what phone you have.

For example, I have a Samsung Note 4 and a Google Nexus 6p and they both play well with my Pioneer x4700 Double Din unit. When a friend gets into my Jeep and tries to sync up their iphone, I have to change a bunch of settings for it to work.

I stream Pandora from my phone to my headunit and it works wonderfully. Some headunits only support certain apps. (a lot of them only do Pandora) There are other headunits that can fully mirror your phone so that your it completely controls your phone and all of its apps.

As far as steering wheel control integration, almost all headunits support it these days. PAC (brand) adapters work well and are plug and play install in our Jeeps. There are two different models, one is for jeeps with a factory amp (the more expensive one), and the other one is for jeeps without factory amp. I have the one that works with the factory amp, but at this point I have the factory amp disconnected because I don't have any factory audio left in my Jeep.

Crutchfield.com is going to be the best place to buy your headunit and all necessary pieces for a proper install. You can find the parts cheaper on ebay, but good luck if you need anything replaced under warranty. The one thing I do recommend you get off of ebay is a bypass relay for the parking brake sense wire on the headunit. The newer headunits are getting harder to "trick" into thinking your vehicle is stopped. (headunits disable a lot of features when the vehicle is moving) The relay make this easy to get around.
Unread 01-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #8
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Eonon 5177F might fit, if your truck has a similar radio to the 2008+ models.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2016, 06:27 PM   #9
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

I bought this for $13 and the hands free phone works perfect and streaming Bluetooth audio quality is excellent. Mounts with 2 sided tape on your dash and connects to aux port. It gives you a usb charging port on the lighter plug. Syncs you your phone immediately when you get int he car. Excellent for our trucks [

url]http://www.amazon.com/Brightech-BrightPlay-Multi--Connectivity-Simultaneously/dp/B00NP9SJ56[/url]

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2016, 04:49 AM   #10
Rkirk
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattWK
Currently have this crappy stock rec stereo or whatever it is. I'm playing music through the AUX port but I feel like I need to have bluetooth/spotify integration by now, considering it's 2016... However I'm not trying to break the bank. (I would consider getting into the $400-$500 range if the features are right). I just want spotify/bluetooth integration, which should be a given, but I also want to match the interior lighting so that it complements the instrument panel and interface well without being too flashy... Do aftermarket systems render the steering controls useless or is there some sort of adapter? (only interested in volume control really) Looking for recommendations, did some searching around but thought I could get some good advice with a current thread and something specific to our vehicles. If it matters I have the boston acoustics system.

I'm running the Pioneer avhx 3600 and it has done everything I wanted it to and more. Will control Pandora through a dedicated input channel but will also control whichever other audio service you use through the Bluetooth audio input. The backlight for the controls is adjustable as well as the background colors and even allows for a custom background image of you so choose. The steering wheel controls can be maintained with the proper adapter, I recommend the axxess aswc1 as opposed to the PAC brand, the PAC will require 2 modules to function with our Jeeps (CAN module and adapter module) whereas the aswc1 is a stand alone unit. You can get the H/U from Sonicelectronix.com on the cheap and it'll include your dash kit, oem harness adapter, and usually the antenna adapter, all with free shipping. Sometimes they'll be running a promo for a discount on the steering control adapter as a bundle. My model is the 3600, which is last years model, I believe the equivalent this year would be the 3700, but the 2600 (2700?) should be the same just without being XM ready if that's a concern for you, also save ya some coin. When you do go to an aftermarket unit, whichever brand you go with, if you want the dimmer function to still work you'll need to tap into the dash lights circuit behind your HVAC controls. The oem units dimming capabilities are achieved through the CAN BUS, aftermarket units are just switched on/off with a voltage sensor, and there won't be that feed line in your oem harness.
Rkirk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #11
Armor_LG
2010 WK 

I got a Sony WXGT90BT double din recently, and with the antenna adapter, steering wheel controls adapter, and installation kit, it ran me about $400. It has bluetooth and changeable colors and all that crap. Works great and would recommend.
Black WK Club #180
Oo||||||||oO
Armor_LG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #12
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

I bought THIS for use on my MyGig to get bluetooth streaming. Works very well, except if you pair the phone to the radio and the bluetooth dongle. The music will skip as the phone cycles through the connections periodically.
Black WK Club #168
ggrassmid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.