Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking for stereo recommendations.

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Kurd 
#1 ·
Currently have this crappy stock rec stereo or whatever it is. I'm playing music through the AUX port but I feel like I need to have bluetooth/spotify integration by now, considering it's 2016...

However I'm not trying to break the bank. (I would consider getting into the $400-$500 range if the features are right). I just want spotify/bluetooth integration, which should be a given, but I also want to match the interior lighting so that it complements the instrument panel and interface well without being too flashy...

Do aftermarket systems render the steering controls useless or is there some sort of adapter? (only interested in volume control really)

Looking for recommendations, did some searching around but thought I could get some good advice with a current thread and something specific to our vehicles.
If it matters I have the boston acoustics system.

#3 ·
I decided to keep my factory electronics (I have the REV, and I like playing DVD-audio discs), But, as much as I am a fan of Boston Acoustics (got 3 sets of their home speakers), the OEM Boston car speakers were a BIG disappointment. They are really just wizzers with the Boston name on them. I replaced the dash board and rear door speakers with Infinity Reference coaxials and SHAZAM it sounds great now! I still have the OEM woofers in the front doors, as I could not find anyone making an aftermarket 6x9 that wasn't a coaxial.

I think if I were going to get a new head unit that has new features like BT4 & USB input, I'd get an Alpine

#4 ·
If you're an iPhone user, the units with Car Play are pretty slick.

I believe some of the units have a special harness that can be used to connect your existing steering wheel controls.

#5 ·
I have a Kenwood in my van and it has the capabilities to use the steering wheel controls, but the van does not have them. Usually there is a harness adapter is all you need for the good quality systems.

#7 ·
The main thing you need to focus on when making your decision is what model has compatibility with your device. You never said what phone you have.

For example, I have a Samsung Note 4 and a Google Nexus 6p and they both play well with my Pioneer x4700 Double Din unit. When a friend gets into my Jeep and tries to sync up their iphone, I have to change a bunch of settings for it to work.

I stream Pandora from my phone to my headunit and it works wonderfully. Some headunits only support certain apps. (a lot of them only do Pandora) There are other headunits that can fully mirror your phone so that your it completely controls your phone and all of its apps.

As far as steering wheel control integration, almost all headunits support it these days. PAC (brand) adapters work well and are plug and play install in our Jeeps. There are two different models, one is for jeeps with a factory amp (the more expensive one), and the other one is for jeeps without factory amp. I have the one that works with the factory amp, but at this point I have the factory amp disconnected because I don't have any factory audio left in my Jeep.

Crutchfield.com is going to be the best place to buy your headunit and all necessary pieces for a proper install. You can find the parts cheaper on ebay, but good luck if you need anything replaced under warranty. The one thing I do recommend you get off of ebay is a bypass relay for the parking brake sense wire on the headunit. The newer headunits are getting harder to "trick" into thinking your vehicle is stopped. (headunits disable a lot of features when the vehicle is moving) The relay make this easy to get around.

#9 ·
I bought this for $13 and the hands free phone works perfect and streaming Bluetooth audio quality is excellent. Mounts with 2 sided tape on your dash and connects to aux port. It gives you a usb charging port on the lighter plug. Syncs you your phone immediately when you get int he car. Excellent for our trucks [

url]http://www.amazon.com/Brightech-BrightPlay-Multi--Connectivity-Simultaneously/dp/B00NP9SJ56[/url]

#10 ·
mattWK said:
Currently have this crappy stock rec stereo or whatever it is. I'm playing music through the AUX port but I feel like I need to have bluetooth/spotify integration by now, considering it's 2016... However I'm not trying to break the bank. (I would consider getting into the $400-$500 range if the features are right). I just want spotify/bluetooth integration, which should be a given, but I also want to match the interior lighting so that it complements the instrument panel and interface well without being too flashy... Do aftermarket systems render the steering controls useless or is there some sort of adapter? (only interested in volume control really) Looking for recommendations, did some searching around but thought I could get some good advice with a current thread and something specific to our vehicles. If it matters I have the boston acoustics system.
I'm running the Pioneer avhx 3600 and it has done everything I wanted it to and more. Will control Pandora through a dedicated input channel but will also control whichever other audio service you use through the Bluetooth audio input. The backlight for the controls is adjustable as well as the background colors and even allows for a custom background image of you so choose. The steering wheel controls can be maintained with the proper adapter, I recommend the axxess aswc1 as opposed to the PAC brand, the PAC will require 2 modules to function with our Jeeps (CAN module and adapter module) whereas the aswc1 is a stand alone unit. You can get the H/U from Sonicelectronix.com on the cheap and it'll include your dash kit, oem harness adapter, and usually the antenna adapter, all with free shipping. Sometimes they'll be running a promo for a discount on the steering control adapter as a bundle. My model is the 3600, which is last years model, I believe the equivalent this year would be the 3700, but the 2600 (2700?) should be the same just without being XM ready if that's a concern for you, also save ya some coin. When you do go to an aftermarket unit, whichever brand you go with, if you want the dimmer function to still work you'll need to tap into the dash lights circuit behind your HVAC controls. The oem units dimming capabilities are achieved through the CAN BUS, aftermarket units are just switched on/off with a voltage sensor, and there won't be that feed line in your oem harness.

#13 ·
So I'm looking at the Alpine iLX-007. (It's designed for iPhones, with Car Play). Someone in my area on craigslist is selling one for $400 as opposed to $550 msrp.

Unfortunately it doesn't have bluetooth, but it seems to fit all my needs plus it looks like a damn slick head unit, I really like it. Problem is, I have the RAQ/REF bezel (double DIN but doesn't look like it will fit this unit) and I believe I need the bezel to fit the REC navigation units.

Question is, the bezels are interchangeable correct? If so, I will need to buy one.

#14 ·
If you are willing to wait a bit JBL is putting out their android auto / Apple car play unit at a very reasonable price ($399) and it has a capacitive.

ITs the JBL CP100. it should ship AUG 8th.

Other option is the Pioneer 4100Nex (the current model is the 4200nex)

And i agree with you, I need google maps in my cars, i will be changing my sony unit to something else soon.

Regarding the bezel you can check out crutchfield or metra and scosches for a dash kit.

#17 ·
mattWK said:
So I'm looking at the Alpine iLX-007. (It's designed for iPhones, with Car Play). Someone in my area on craigslist is selling one for $400 as opposed to $550 msrp. Unfortunately it doesn't have bluetooth, but it seems to fit all my needs plus it looks like a damn slick head unit, I really like it. Problem is, I have the RAQ/REF bezel (double DIN but doesn't look like it will fit this unit) and I believe I need the bezel to fit the REC navigation units. Question is, the bezels are interchangeable correct? If so, I will need to buy one.
I had a non-nav bezel in my 2006; ordered the nav bezel and put in a double din Pioneer. The bezels are interchangeable (just pop the old one out and snap the new one in), and the nav bezel should fit all standard double din stereos. You just need the proper Metra kit to mount it.

If you want CarPlay, JBL just launched a $400 unit with a capacitive screen. And that would have the warranties, etc., which may not be the case with the craigslist unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.