Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking for SRT headers

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  kryton 
#1 ·
I want to run 6.1 headers on my 5.7 Hemi. Has anyone done this? I know I need to cut a slot for the EGR valve. But other than that they just bolt right up, Right?
Is anyone selling their take-offs? I need headers ASAP, As I am dropping a new motor in this week and want to take advantage of the easy access to the exhaust manifold.

Also, What kind of performance gain am I looking at with these headers and a cat-back exhaust? Eventually I will be getting SRT mid pipes and cats. But thats another project.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Do it, they will work even if the ports are not the same shape because the openings on the SRT8 headers are larger that on the block.
If you do a Google search you will find people who have done it. You'll need a custom exhaust.
As far as gains, the stock headers are the worst restriction on the 5.7 so it will be a good difference.
If you get a custom tune you can turn off EGR and not worry about it.
I recommend
http://www.frptuning.com

He's got a Facebook too. I got a custom tune from him with the HP tuner and it was a huge difference from stock.
He also turned off torque management so there is no lag when you hit the pedal. It throws your head back now.
Amazing how much power is left on the table from the factory.

#3 ·
Ok cool. I have a superchips tuner, I may ditch it and get something better down the road.

Now I just need to find some headers. I found a couple guys who said they do $150 shipped, But they both backed out. And I need them This week before my motor gets put in.
How hard is it to do when the motor is in?

#5 ·
You have to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the motor a little I think. But don't fool yourself, it's really really tight in there to work. You'll be cursing it!
I've been trying to find some srt8 wk headers too. For some time now. You can find srt8 headers all day long on ebay but none from a wk.
I don't think just any 6.1 srt8 headers will work will they?

#4 ·
A really big PITA. You'll see below that there isn't much difference between the stock logs and a good header, LOL. Imagine what a good 3 in. cat. back would do to compliment them. I am betting somewhere around 30 hp or a bit more over the stock setup. Are you in Orange County, CA or FL? I suspect a big difference on what you can "get away" with. If you're in CA you need to be real careful of the "smog nazi's". Don't know about FL though.

Attachments

#14 ·
I measured the stock pipe after I cut mine out and it's almost 3" so there would still be good gains with only headers.
I have no idea about any horror stories involving installing stock srt8 wk headers. I mean, you either install them or not. The only thing that needs to be done is adding a notch for the egr. Other than that they bolt up. The srt8 wk header openings are larger that the 5.7 openings so they will still flow much better than stock but not quite as good as the much more expensive options. I've discussed it with several people on fb srt8 wk forums and my tuner, FlyinRyan.
I just can't find any. They usually go for 200 bucks but then you have to have some custom pipe built.

Attachments

#16 ·
I'll do the obx srt8 headers. The srt8 stock logs are hard to find. But there is plenty of information on the Facebook wk site and write ups on Jeep Garage.
I'll certainly take pics when I get around to it.
Currently have sway bars, shocks, lowering coils, and mbrp exhaust sitting on the bench.
I had to wait for exhaust hanger pliers to arrive to get the pieces out of the rubber.
I've been driving around with no exhaust since Friday haha. It's loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.