Looking to replace Catalytic converter. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking to replace Catalytic converter.

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
JeepGC05
2005 WK 

Looking to replace Catalytic converter.

Still getting the check engine light after 500 miles (including driving to and from PA) keep getting the same code PO420. Leads me and based on internet research that the Cat is no good. So I seen a few on line relatively cheap, but I need to know what size and O2 placement. Can someone please help me out.

JeepGC05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Kolak
Vendor

Are you just looking for a single converter to replace the bad one? I can supply you with a good Magnaflow replacement. PM me and we'll chat.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
WKeer
2007 WK 

Did you try the spark plug non fouler trick?

I would try that first if it's just the CEL you are looking to get rid of. Won't be kosher in a state with strict or should I say any emission standards but it's a <$10 fix with the non fouler and some stainless steel wool. Just google it as there are many good write-ups on how to do it.
Unread 08-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
RCS1300
2005 WK 

How did you determine that the Catalytic Converter needed replacement?

Had you already visually inspected the current Catalytic Converter or checked for an exhaust leak or had the O2 sensors checked for proper functionality?
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
JeepGC05
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
How did you determine that the Catalytic Converter needed replacement?

Had you already visually inspected the current Catalytic Converter or checked for an exhaust leak or had the O2 sensors checked for proper functionality?
I had a scanner hooked up and it had determined it was acting up. PO420 code
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
JeepGC05
2005 WK 

Anybody know the exhaust pipe diameter?
Unread 08-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
tabascocat
2005 WK 

I found out that both of my cats were bad soon after I bought my Jeep. Had already spent a good amount fixing other things, so I went the cheap route.

There is a city called Pasadena about 15 miles from me and it is an auto haven, about 40 - 60% cheaper to fix autos. I wasn't about to pay another 1k to replace those, so I went to Pasadena and shopped around. Came across a hole-in-the-wall muffler shop and looked over their reviews online. Many raved about them and their work, which has a warranty.

I told the owner that I just wanted two new cats at the least amount possible, he gave me three options including OE. I went with middle of the road and got two new, simple ones for a total of $360 installed, never had a problem since.

I don't know the measurements but any shop will know them.
tabascocat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
photoman63
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am in the same boat. are you in TX? If so could you give me the name of that shop. My bank 2 clogged and stranded my this week.
photoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
tabascocat
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman63 View Post
I am in the same boat. are you in TX? If so could you give me the name of that shop. My bank 2 clogged and stranded my this week.
Al's Muffler on Harris st in Pasadena. Al will even put a new, cheap muffler on for $60
tabascocat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
TNez
2005 WK 

I had a P0430 (same issue as P0420, just drivers side vs pass side) for two months beginning in June. I replaced all 4 oxygen sensors which didn't fix the problem. I then bought the Magnaflow converters part 49686 and replaced that two weeks ago which fixed it. Now I'm getting about 90 miles more per tank of gas also. Liquid wrench was my friend and it was a pain to do but worth it.

FYI I have an 05 4.7
TNez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.