Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Looking to replace Catalytic converter.

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  TNez 
#1 ·
Still getting the check engine light after 500 miles (including driving to and from PA) keep getting the same code PO420. Leads me and based on internet research that the Cat is no good. So I seen a few on line relatively cheap, but I need to know what size and O2 placement. Can someone please help me out. :)

#3 ·
Did you try the spark plug non fouler trick?

I would try that first if it's just the CEL you are looking to get rid of. Won't be kosher in a state with strict or should I say any emission standards but it's a <$10 fix with the non fouler and some stainless steel wool. Just google it as there are many good write-ups on how to do it.

#7 ·
I found out that both of my cats were bad soon after I bought my Jeep. Had already spent a good amount fixing other things, so I went the cheap route.

There is a city called Pasadena about 15 miles from me and it is an auto haven, about 40 - 60% cheaper to fix autos. I wasn't about to pay another 1k to replace those, so I went to Pasadena and shopped around. Came across a hole-in-the-wall muffler shop and looked over their reviews online. Many raved about them and their work, which has a warranty.

I told the owner that I just wanted two new cats at the least amount possible, he gave me three options including OE. I went with middle of the road and got two new, simple ones for a total of $360 installed, never had a problem since.

I don't know the measurements but any shop will know them.

#10 ·
I had a P0430 (same issue as P0420, just drivers side vs pass side) for two months beginning in June. I replaced all 4 oxygen sensors which didn't fix the problem. I then bought the Magnaflow converters part 49686 and replaced that two weeks ago which fixed it. Now I'm getting about 90 miles more per tank of gas also. Liquid wrench was my friend and it was a pain to do but worth it.

FYI I have an 05 4.7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.