looking to do first lift need advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > looking to do first lift need advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
CherokeeRokr
2006 WK 

looking to do first lift need advice

Alright I own a 2006 jeep grand Cherokee and have been wanting to lift it for awhile now I finally found some spare money and now I'm unsure which way to go
Looking for 2-3 more inches and planning on adding largest tires I can but am unsure of which type of lift to go with I have seen three different lifts.
only spacers for all four wheels no other parts
New coil springs and spacers
Or new socks and struts and coil springs
I'm not sure what the actual differences are and would appreciate someone helping me by explaining a little
I was looking at a skyjacker 3" lift in the picture shows coil springs and for bars that look like struts with no compression just sold bars and was wondering how good of a quality these are
Thanks in advance

CherokeeRokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
pancake
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeRokr
Alright I own a 2006 jeep grand Cherokee and have been wanting to lift it for awhile now I finally found some spare money and now I'm unsure which way to go Looking for 2-3 more inches and planning on adding largest tires I can but am unsure of which type of lift to go with I have seen three different lifts. only spacers for all four wheels no other parts New coil springs and spacers Or new socks and struts and coil springs I'm not sure what the actual differences are and would appreciate someone helping me by explaining a little I was looking at a skyjacker 3" lift in the picture shows coil springs and for bars that look like struts with no compression just sold bars and was wondering how good of a quality these are Thanks in advance
What you're describing is not for the wk... Look at the daystar lift for the wk, rough country lift for the wk, and if you are willing to spend more money then go for the Old man emu lift for the wk. If you need new shocks and struts then go with the ome lift because it consists of new shocks and struts in addition to new coil springs.

The first two I mentioned are both spacer lifts that run ~ $140 these are probably your best bet if your shocks and struts don't need replacong
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
CherokeeRokr
2006 WK 

ok but is there an actual difference between the three in ride and control and longevity of the vehicle?
CherokeeRokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

With a spacer lift the ride will be more rough. A full suspension lift will typically ride like stock if not better (usually better in most peoples mind). A spacer lift is basically stacking a peice of steel or poly on top of your coils front and rear. In the long run this will cause more wear on the coils and other suspension components. A Suspension lift comes with longer coil and also slightly longer shocks and struts to achieve the best ride possible.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
BoraBora
2006 WK 

Really? My OME rides REALLY rough. I mean literally I feel every bump in the road and speed bumps just straight suck.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
dieseljeep07

2007 WK 

If you were looking at a 3" lift then I would say just go for the 4" Superlift or an OME. I had the 2" daystar and loved it, but after a year I just wanted to go bigger. So save the $150 and just go big. Then you can run the nice 33" tires and it looks so sweet.
dieseljeep07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Anon155
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoraBora View Post
Really? My OME rides REALLY rough. I mean literally I feel every bump in the road and speed bumps just straight suck.
Bora, what psi are you running in those duratrac's? You may be running them a bit high, I had to lower my pressure down some to get a bit more give for road use and better wear. I've read most say the duratrac 285's run best at 32-35 psi. If you're running higher than that, that may be why the bumps feel so harsh. The OME rides like a dream compared to some of the other suspensions I've had on other cars/trucks....
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #8
BoraBora
2006 WK 

I have no idea what PSI they're at...hmmm that actually probably is it because I've read everyone else loves the ride. I on the other hand bounce around. I'll try 33 or 34 PSI and report back. Thanks man
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep07 View Post
If you were looking at a 3" lift then I would say just go for the 4" Superlift or an OME. I had the 2" daystar and loved it, but after a year I just wanted to go bigger. So save the $150 and just go big. Then you can run the nice 33" tires and it looks so sweet.
Exactly what happened to me and now i have a modified SL and 35's sitting in my garage

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.