Looking to buy WK...what to look for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking to buy WK...what to look for?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 10-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
ry1820
2004 WJ 

Looking to buy WK...what to look for?

Hi all, I've had a WK previously but it was my wife's, and I actually never worked on it....besides oil changes and tuneups...

I just sold my 04 WJ with the 4.7 and a (disclosed to buyer) head gasket leak.
I'm looking at a 4.7 WK 2005 with 117K for $6,500. What potential issues should I look for???

ANY help/suggestions/thoughs are truly appreciated.

Thanks,

99 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra Drive (sold; 110,000 miles)
02 GC Laredo - I6 - Selec Trac (sold; 123,000 miles)
04 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra Drive (sold; 132,000 miles)
07 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra-Trac II (sold; 78,000 miles)

(OlllllllO)
ry1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Check out the stickies they have one for what to look for make sure that you can shift into 4Lo and it works properly. Also listen for a clunk sound when going from P to D or R. Also listen for a clunk when slowing down and going over bumps. Check to make sure the heat and air both work well and no water marks in the passenger floor board. Check to see if any of the support struts work like the hood, lift gate, and rear window. (Not a hard fix but something to look at) that's about all I can think of off the too of my head right now
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
fatso
2005 WK 

Check rear pinion seal for leakage. Also check the transmission cooler lines. Mine leaked right where they entered near the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. I believe it's common with the WK
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
ry1820
2004 WJ 

Ok so I checked out the Jeep tonight.
It has 127,000 miles not 117,000
Got the guy down to $6000.
Overall its in great shape except for a tear in the drivers seat leather that was fixed...but you can still tell it was there.

The driveshaft clunks a little into drive and reverse
4 lo works well
Steering is pretty loose
Coolant was at the low mark
There was surface rust on those 2 metal braces that come out of the rear of the frame towards the rear bumper. But nothing major.

He said the transmission filters were changed and the tranny fluid changed as well......My buddy brought an OBD II scanner and is showed up with a pre-code for a transmission problem....this was concerning so the guy agreed to let me have the local Jeep dealer check it out. I'm making an appointment for this saturday.

Anyone have any other thoughts / suggestions?

99 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra Drive (sold; 110,000 miles)
02 GC Laredo - I6 - Selec Trac (sold; 123,000 miles)
04 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra Drive (sold; 132,000 miles)
07 GC Limited - 4.7 V8 - Quadra-Trac II (sold; 78,000 miles)

(OlllllllO)
ry1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
elfirebird
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
Check rear pinion seal for leakage. Also check the transmission cooler lines. Mine leaked right where they entered near the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. I believe it's common with the WK
The cooler lines are more an issue on the 2005s, if i recall correctly.
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
fatso
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfirebird View Post
The cooler lines are more an issue on the 2005s, if i recall correctly.
True Dat
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
ttusqrl
WK Supporter
2005 WK 

Turn the steering wheel and see if it clicks. The clock spring was an issue on the 05s.

There is a lot to look at. PCVs, differential maintenance (do a fast u-turn and see if it churns or grinds at all), if it has nav, make sure the joysticks work, see if there has been any damage to the headliner from the sunroof drain (if applicable). What has been replaced on it? Radiator, starter, and some other tiems should be on their way to possibly giving out.
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
road_tripper

drive someplace dark (underground parking?) and see how many dash lights are not working. none are easily and cheaply replaceable

check for leaks (drive through a car wash?)

steering wheel controls work? cruise works? radio controls (on other side of steering wheel)?

headlights work (high/lows)?

if important to you:
some 2005s came with ESP, others just traction control.
quadra-drive or quadra-trac
side airbags (airbag sign on b pillar)

if you're going to tow, regardless of a hitch on the back... does it have the tow package (viscous fan on water pump, power steering cooler in front of a/c condenser)

tranny fluid condition and level

seats... do all the adjustments work? does seat memory remember?

turn the key from 'off' to 'run' three times fast, the display on the dash will tell you any trouble codes (in case things have popped up since your buddy with the scanner checked things)

check tires for uneven wear. if quadra-drive, check for tires with uneven tread depth as well. see if the spare is the same size as the other tires. qdii gets real angry when all the tires aren't identical.
road_tripper is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry1820 View Post
Ok so I checked out the Jeep tonight.
It has 127,000 miles not 117,000
Got the guy down to $6000.
Overall its in great shape except for a tear in the drivers seat leather that was fixed...but you can still tell it was there.

The driveshaft clunks a little into drive and reverse
4 lo works well
Steering is pretty loose
Coolant was at the low mark
There was surface rust on those 2 metal braces that come out of the rear of the frame towards the rear bumper. But nothing major.

He said the transmission filters were changed and the tranny fluid changed as well......My buddy brought an OBD II scanner and is showed up with a pre-code for a transmission problem....this was concerning so the guy agreed to let me have the local Jeep dealer check it out. I'm making an appointment for this saturday.

Anyone have any other thoughts / suggestions?
the clunking you hear might be the front bushings being worn out. they best way to tell is to put it into park and rock it back and fourth and if it clunks it is most likely it. i have a lift so i had a friend rock it back and fourth and i was able to get under and look at the front diff as it moved making clunking noises
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.