Looking to buy 07 CRD, tips, opinions, mods.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking to buy 07 CRD, tips, opinions, mods....

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Reply
Unread 02-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
meatlord
Senior Member
 
meatlord's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Iowa
Posts: 794
Looking to buy 07 CRD, tips, opinions, mods....

I have located a (1 owner) 07 Limited CRD quadradrive II, 90k miles, at a dealer(happens to be a good friend and neighbor of mine) I can pick this up for $15k before anyone sees it hit the lot.

I will mainly use this for a vacation vehicle, tow a camper, tow my wrangler on a small car trailer, etc.

Looking for thoughts on, capability, price, problems, towing, and modifications to increase power.

So.....where to begin?

__________________
Give a monkey a brain, and he'll swear he's the center of the universe.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities, has the power to make you commit injustices.

Oil is the excrement of the devil.........
meatlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
caddydaddy
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Belle Chasse, Louisiana
Posts: 198
I bought an '07 about 2 months ago. 1 thing to check is to make sure the upper mounting bolt for the front bumper cover has not punctured the intercooler! Other than that, it's looking for basic used vehicle stuff, leaks, crash damage, all buttons and options work, etc.
And your first mod should be the GDE Eco tune. Made a huge difference in how it drives!
__________________
2007 CRD Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
GDE ECO Tune
159,000+ miles!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
meatlord
Senior Member
 
meatlord's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Iowa
Posts: 794
Have just recently heard about the "tune" thing..... do you have anymore info on this?

On a side note, do you tow with yours? How much weight, elevation, duration, MPG.
__________________
Give a monkey a brain, and he'll swear he's the center of the universe.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities, has the power to make you commit injustices.

Oil is the excrement of the devil.........
meatlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
jaje
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 444
Google WK CRD FAQ and you'll get tons of answers there about the CRD. I've got a 2007 and use mine for towing and long haul driving and love it. I'm in KC and will be going to MAM (near Omaha for a race in April) and tnadanzig is near Des Moines so you are not alone in this part of the world.
__________________
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel Limited
'13 Subaru BRZ
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
caddydaddy
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Belle Chasse, Louisiana
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
Have just recently heard about the "tune" thing..... do you have anymore info on this?

On a side note, do you tow with yours? How much weight, elevation, duration, MPG.
Here's where I (and most people here) get thier tune: http://greendieselengineering.com/goPage.do?method=home

I bought mine with towing in mind, but don't have a trailer yet. The previous owner used it for towing though. The 4x4 is rated to tow 7,200 or so pounds, but I'm not planning on towing anything near that weight.
__________________
2007 CRD Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
GDE ECO Tune
159,000+ miles!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
meatlord
Senior Member
 
meatlord's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Iowa
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
Here's where I (and most people here) get thier tune: http://greendieselengineering.com/goPage.do?method=home

I bought mine with towing in mind, but don't have a trailer yet. The previous owner used it for towing though. The 4x4 is rated to tow 7,200 or so pounds, but I'm not planning on towing anything near that weight.
Very interesting read on GDE site. Are there any drawbacks to either tune, and is the tuner tool included in that $700 price tag?

How about any type of intake tube/filter combos? Or any other hard parts?

What is all involved in the 100k service that will be due on it shortly?

Its a very nice rig, just want to be prepared if i pull the trigger.
__________________
Give a monkey a brain, and he'll swear he's the center of the universe.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities, has the power to make you commit injustices.

Oil is the excrement of the devil.........
meatlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #7
caddydaddy
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Belle Chasse, Louisiana
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatlord View Post
Very interesting read on GDE site. Are there any drawbacks to either tune, and is the tuner tool included in that $700 price tag?

How about any type of intake tube/filter combos? Or any other hard parts?

What is all involved in the 100k service that will be due on it shortly?

Its a very nice rig, just want to be prepared if i pull the trigger.
The tuner is included. They will send you the tuner, you upload your stock tune to it, load it to your PC and email it to them. They will email you back the modified tune, then you upload it to your Jeep with the tuner. The tune only took a few minutes to upload, and GDE sent me the modified tune back in only a few hours! They were quick!
Most choose the Eco tune. Those that have the Hot Tune have said the throttle is very sensitive, especially at low speeds.
I'd suggest that if you want it for towing, the Eco tune would be the way to go.

I don't think any aftermarket intakes are made for the CRD, but the air filter is the same as the gas engines, so a K&N panel filter will fit.

As for the service, you can find the owners manual on the Jeep website and the maintenance schedules are there.
__________________
2007 CRD Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
GDE ECO Tune
159,000+ miles!
caddydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
james_2k
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Aberfoyle, Stirlingshire
Posts: 512
do some reading dude. there is a HUGE thread on the gde tune. and in general on the crd.
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
meatlord
Senior Member
 
meatlord's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Iowa
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_2k View Post
do some reading dude. there is a HUGE thread on the gde tune. and in general on the crd.
I've been reading what I can find over the last 3 days now. Have any handy links you can share?

And now from what I have been reading the upcoming service involves two and one half metric butt loads of premium Mopar lubricants, that have been infused with the amazing drippings of the gods......




Research will continue on my end for now. Anyone have anything else to add, how about the price?
__________________
Give a monkey a brain, and he'll swear he's the center of the universe.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities, has the power to make you commit injustices.

Oil is the excrement of the devil.........
meatlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
jjt250
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 704
I'm also in the area (Omaha). I don't have the GDE tune on my Jeep yet, but recently my mom got the swirl motor error on her ML320 (same engine). So we got her the GDE Eco tune and it's awesome. I always thought the throttle mapping was much better on hers, but now the GDE tune makes it even better. You can really feel the extra torque too. On top of that, she's been noting at least 2 mpg better and she's not light-footed either. Not to mention, we saved her thousands by getting rid of the swirl motor function.

As far as exhaust, GDE does sell a DPF delete option for an extra $100. You would need to gut your DPF, buy a DPF replacement pipe (a forum member sells them her), or get a straight pipe fabbed up locally.
__________________
2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors
jjt250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
VulcanWDE
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 10
As far as price goes, I think that is fairly reasonable. I just picked up my 2007 limited CRD with 88,500 miles in Atlanta for $14,200. Of course, after doing my research on this forum and having never had a diesel, I opted for the Chrysler 3 year extended warranty for another $2,000.

I'm also dreading the upcoming 100k service....belt, water pump, transmission change, front/rear differential fluids, transfer case, coolant change. Definitely won't be cheap!!
Good luck in your decision.
__________________
"Worrying is like a rocking chair...it will give you something to do, but it won't get you anywhere"
VulcanWDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #12
Chirpz
Senior Member
 
Chirpz's Avatar
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Battle Ground, Washington
Posts: 715
I have an 07. Bought it in 08 with 11,000 on it. Its my first diesel. I have had all of the typical 07 problems. Swirl Motor, Drive Shaft Sensor, Alternator Failure, Oil pressure sensor, Turbo Actuator. You can read about them all on the forum.

Here is the link to the thread on GDE...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/g...-tune-1367173/

I use mine to tow a 3900 lb RV trailer and have towed all over the US...Washington to Florida, Washington to Michigan...and more. Its a great tow rig. You can pass anyone going uphill....power up the ying yang.

The QDII is wonderful.... it put the power where the traction is. I once had to BACK my trailer uphill on a steep gravel road about 100 yards.... it never spun a tire.

I recently took mine in to a local shop to change all the lubricants (except engine). They were going to do it no problem...but when they raised the hood and saw the sealed transmission filler, they backed out. Had to take it to the dealer.... It was a $600 gig for tranny, transfer case, front and rear diffs. I made them sign a paper swearing they would NO do the N23 recall on it.

You might check to see if it shifts into 4Lo OK.... try it several times. If you buy it DO NOT have the N23 recall performed.... it will kill your 4Lo. Does not seem to hurt the full time 4x4 function. It it is heading for a dealer pre-sale.... try to head this off!!

There is a very large thread all about the N23.
__________________
Chirpz
2007 WK 3.0L CRD, Quadradrive II, GDE EcoTune, DPF-Delete
4xGuard Front, Rear, Belly, & Side Rails, Factory Skids
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
meatlord
Senior Member
 
meatlord's Avatar
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: western Iowa
Posts: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
I have an 07. Bought it in 08 with 11,000 on it. Its my first diesel. I have had all of the typical 07 problems. Swirl Motor, Drive Shaft Sensor, Alternator Failure, Oil pressure sensor, Turbo Actuator. You can read about them all on the forum.

Here is the link to the thread on GDE...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/g...-tune-1367173/

I use mine to tow a 3900 lb RV trailer and have towed all over the US...Washington to Florida, Washington to Michigan...and more. Its a great tow rig. You can pass anyone going uphill....power up the ying yang.

The QDII is wonderful.... it put the power where the traction is. I once had to BACK my trailer uphill on a steep gravel road about 100 yards.... it never spun a tire.

I recently took mine in to a local shop to change all the lubricants (except engine). They were going to do it no problem...but when they raised the hood and saw the sealed transmission filler, they backed out. Had to take it to the dealer.... It was a $600 gig for tranny, transfer case, front and rear diffs. I made them sign a paper swearing they would NO do the N23 recall on it.

You might check to see if it shifts into 4Lo OK.... try it several times. If you buy it DO NOT have the N23 recall performed.... it will kill your 4Lo. Does not seem to hurt the full time 4x4 function. It it is heading for a dealer pre-sale.... try to head this off!!

There is a very large thread all about the N23.

Thanx for posting here. Most of the info i have been reading here has been yours, you have made some great contributions. What is the controversy with the N23, and why does Chrysler deem it necessary?
__________________
Give a monkey a brain, and he'll swear he's the center of the universe.

Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities, has the power to make you commit injustices.

Oil is the excrement of the devil.........
meatlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
james_2k
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Aberfoyle, Stirlingshire
Posts: 512
just got back from work in the crd.

rain pouring down, but if you put the hammer down, no skidding, no hesitation just pure torque, feels very stable secure and in no way feels as heavy as it is.

love it!

p.s. hot tune > eco tune
james_2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 12:57 PM   #15
jaje
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 444
The great thing about how a diesel delivers power it does not have to rev quickly. That means it can accelerate in slippery conditions easier and when you lift the diesel is higher compression so it slows down quicker as well.
__________________
'14 WK2 EcoDiesel Limited
'13 Subaru BRZ
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.