Looking for an aggressive cam 5.7 gc - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking for an aggressive cam 5.7 gc

Alloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 12-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
tmidz87
2006 WK 

Looking for an aggressive cam 5.7 gc

i have a wk gc 5.7 hemi and im just looking for suggestions on an aggressive cam for it. im looking for a sweet sounding idle but i need it to be able to be driven daily so i cant go too aggressive.. can anyone post links or maybe a soundclip or youtube video thanks to anyone who is of ne help

tmidz87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

You'll be sorry if you put an "aggressive" cam in it, unless you're going to do a lot of racing. Most aftermarket cams are pretty dead on the low end, and develop there best power/torque at higher (than stock) RPM. With a "aggressive" cam you'll probably also experience driveability and idle issues. You'll then require an expensive aftermarket tune to correct these issues. Also, doing a cam without doing the complete package (intake, cam, valve train, tubular or SRT headers, and straight through cat. back) you won't realize the full potential of the cam. The cams were the last things I did to both my Hemi's after all of the above items were done. I also advanced the aftermarket cams in both my vehicles, in an effort to move the hp and torque curves to a lower RPM range. Worked great, but everyone recommended against doing it. I did my WK 2* and my LX 6*. The LX is much better overall, delivering a much better low end and 3-4 mpg better than with the stock cam. There is virtually no top end now though. The WK is not quite as strong on the low end, but powers pretty well all the way to ~6200-6300 RPM. It only gained a mile or two per gallon.

Best thing for you do to is check with some of the cam manufacturers to see what they offer. I went the the FRI Engineering Sidewinder cams, as they've been well proven in Hemi's for the last 7 years or so, and still retain the MDS if you desire. Parts (cam, valve springs, new valve seals, pushrods, SRT timing chain tensioner) should all cost less than $1000, plus installation, unless you do the install yourself.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aggressive , cam , gc , hemi , v8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.