Looking at a 2005 WK this week..thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking at a 2005 WK this week..thoughts?

ORS4x4: New Product!Aluminum Quick Release Fire Extinguisher Mounts from ORS4xKinetic Recovery Rope from ORS4x4

Unread Today, 02:42 AM   #1
Oldfrog
1997 ZJ 

Looking at a 2005 WK this week..thoughts?

I'm a current ZJ owner....but at 265k miles, 'getting nervous about pulling my boat with the trusty 4.0 again this summer. Bought a larger boat and really need a V8 this year.

This week, I will go look at a 2005 WK, V8 ( 4.7?) ...not a hemi, unfortunately... 160 K miles. Might be able to get it for about $4k.....maybe less.

I know all the common issues with the ZJ, since I bought mine new, but know nothing about the WK. I'm especially concerned with parting with my select trac transfer case. Not sure if I even want another transfer case, since my 97 has been flawless.

But....in Jeep's infinite "wisdom"...I know I cant get it on a WK....dang it.

I put 7 PCMs in my ZJ before I found a good one. I do NOT want to deal with that issue again on a WK.

So,....how are the drive train electronics on the 2005 model? Do they suck, too?

Trannys? Again, I'm spoiled with mine. Does the 2005 model tranny have inherent issues I need to know about?

I dont expect it to be perfect and $1000 repair is no big deal for me...but I'd rather NOT have to spend $2500+ on anything for a year or two on the WK.

Any common issues to all of the 2005 models I need to look for?
Or should I just get 2007 or later model?

Thanks in advance.

On 7th PCM. Finally got a good one.

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list

God Bless the Garland, TX Police Dept.
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 04:38 AM   #2
RCS1300
2005 WK 

I have a 2005 4.7L. In my opinion the engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials, (and pcm) are all excellent if they were maintained with recommended interval fluid changes. Save your money for the smaller yet extensive servicing including shocks, struts, brakes, exhaust manifold gaskets, radiator, fuel pump, hubs/bearings, TPMS sensors, heater control panel lights, passenger fan resistor, rear window and hatch struts, oxygen sensors, muffler and tailpipe, oil pan, valve cover gaskets, valve lifters(done out of caution not need), and fluid changes. My vehicle has 78,000 original miles and I have put about $5,000 of parts into refurbishing it- but I use Mopar parts only - mostly due to age in the snow belt, not mileage.
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:47 AM   #3
caulk04
2008 WK 

I've owned a first gen 4.7 (in a Dakota) and I never had an issue with it, but they're getting a little long in the tooth and if not cared for you could run in to lash adjuster or head gasket problems. These aren't super common, but if it's been beaten or neglected at all it could pop up. IMO - If looking for a 4.7 I'd want the 08+ 2nd gen version. Not saying any of the V8's are bad.

The transmission is pretty stout. Same unit they put behind 5.7 Hemi's, even in 2500 Rams until the 8spd came out.
Unread Today, 07:56 AM   #4
Nejeep

I also jumped from a '97 ZJ to a WK and have been pleased with the upgrade.
Since you plan to tow a boat, finding a WK with the factory tow package would be a plus, even tho you can add a hitch and wiring yourself.

All the V8 WKs should have a high/low range T-case. Be sure to test it out before purchasing as some dealer updates had problems with the low range being disabled. Some have electronic locking differentials too.

As others have said, good maintenance is key in buying a high mileage Jeep.

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 09:11 AM   #5
road_tripper

Look at the build sheet from Jeep. It will tell you if you have the heavy-duty cooling, even if it doesn't have the tow receiver and wiring installed.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/B...ervlet?vin=XXX replace XXX with the full VIN all caps

I bought my 05 WK with 139K miles on it and in the 3 years of ownership I've had to replace:

water pump
radiator
tranny solenoid pack
rear end (ring&pinion and bearings)
battery
front propshaft
adjustable pedal motor
front diff mount rubber bushings

things that need to be replaced: driver's side front diff seal weeping, front crank seal weeping, dash buttons need new bulbs (or new panels)

Mine has been free of electrical problems; I have a fancy code scanner that reads all the chrysler manufacturer codes and I get no codes from any system when I scan. Engine seems fine and doesn't have the exhaust manifold bolt problem.

The seats are not the most comfy, and I wish it had 'bi-level' heating (hot air on feet, cold air on face).

I also wish it had ESP every time I'm driving too fast on snowy roads.

Do a search for 'key dance' to use the onboard code scanner when you go to test drive.
road_tripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.