Looking at a 2005 WK Hemi...need advice please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking at a 2005 WK Hemi...need advice please

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 12-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Looking at a 2005 WK Hemi...need advice please

Hey all...I took a 2005 WK 5.7 Hemi for a test drive today. All seemed good...lights work on everything...started right up...but when I drove it...there seemed to be a vibration or rattle when I accelerated. It is hard to describe...but I am not familiar with the Hemi characteristics at all.
Can someone give me some advice on whether this is normal...and what else to be aware of on these 05's with the Hemi?
The mileage on it is 60,500 and they are asking $12,500.
Thanks for the help!

brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
ducktail
2009 WK 

Except for bad cv joints, u joints, bent axles and drive shafts and then the mud on the wheels, mine rides smooth as silk. I would say you have a problem.

Seriously, I have none of those problems and mine does ride very smooth with no vibrations except for the occasional reindeer stuck in the wheel spokes. Your vibration is not normal.
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
ASTMedic

I got vibration with mine at highway speeds when the tech at Les Schwab didn't know how the balance the "chrome" wheels that come stock. Once they did it right it cleared right up.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Is it only when accelerating or is it a constant vibration when you hit a certain speed?
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
Is it only when accelerating or is it a constant vibration when you hit a certain speed?
Its only during acceleration...once up to secord or third gear... it seems to go away.
Unread 01-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Thanks to all for the help...I have another question about these WK Hemi's....what is the "Hemi Shake" or "Hemi Shudder"?
I have been reading a little about this issue. Is there a known fix for it? What is the actual cause for this?
Thanks so much for the education and the help!
Unread 01-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
spennerus

I have this same shudder/vibration when accelerating (06 hemi). From the research I've done and what it feels like to me it is the torque converter.

I've noticed that if I accelerate harder it doesn't do it, and some times is worse than others, I'm guessing from trans fluid temp. I'm hoping either a trans fluid/filter change or a tuner will help, but I haven't tried either yet.
spennerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spennerus View Post
I have this same shudder/vibration when accelerating (06 hemi). From the research I've done and what it feels like to me it is the torque converter.

I've noticed that if I accelerate harder it doesn't do it, and some times is worse than others, I'm guessing from trans fluid temp. I'm hoping either a trans fluid/filter change or a tuner will help, but I haven't tried either yet.
That doesnt sound good.
Whats the cost to fix the torque converter?
Unread 01-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #9
Keeslinger31
2005 WK 

I think I have this same problem you can feel the power surging and shifting is a bit delayed as well or my trans is going bad which I doubt
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
imann
2006 WK 

Mine rides like car which still blows my mind because every jeep I had rode awful......take it to a third party certified professional and have them look at it....but the price is fair for the mileage if everything is legit....buyer beware it is a used car....good luck
06WK slvr#107-hemi-QDII-3.5 Mopar-bilsteins-JBA frnt discos-275/70r17 BFG KM2 MTs-BT cc-
Airraid CAI-Magnaflow exh-super chip prgmr-9k MM winch in custom frnt bumper wth D-rng's
4x grd frnt/rear skids & rear sliders w/D-rng's-BT shrty ant-stillen crs drlld x4-pinch weld mod
imann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
That doesnt sound good.
Whats the cost to fix the torque converter?
Thanks for the help guys...but I would like to know what the torque converter repair will cost, so I can assess if its worth purchasing, and how much I will have to dump into it right away to get the shake fixed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
ISUzj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcity1 View Post
Thanks for the help guys...but I would like to know what the torque converter repair will cost, so I can assess if its worth purchasing, and how much I will have to dump into it right away to get the shake fixed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would call a chrysler dealer, and ask them that will be your worst case scenario..

I am guessing in the 1000-1400 range? parts and labor?
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #13
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

A torque converter refurbished will usually run around $300 for the part alone, then dropping the transmission to take out the old and install the new will run you even more for labor.
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post
I would call a chrysler dealer, and ask them that will be your worst case scenario..

I am guessing in the 1000-1400 range? parts and labor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
A torque converter refurbished will usually run around $300 for the part alone, then dropping the transmission to take out the old and install the new will run you even more for labor.
Thanks guys...I appreciate the help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.