Looking at an 08 this weekend. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking at an 08 this weekend.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
chance_p
2008 WK 

Looking at an 08 this weekend.

Hey guys how's it going? I'm looking at an 08 laredo this weekend and was wondering if there was anything specific I should check out before purchasing? Ive had an xj for the last 7 years, got a 92 when I was 16 and then a 99 when I turned 19. I love the thing but ive lifted it and put 32's from a JK on it with intentions of offroading. Over the last 2 years ive started putting in a lot of highway time as well as getting into car audio very seriously and I think its time to upgrade to something a little more road friendly. I was looking at 05 to 07 wk's that had the hemi and all the options, but once I got a peek at the interior of the 08-10's ive decided thats what I want. This means ill be picking up something like a low optioned laredo. I found a beautiful 2008 that is perfect for me, white exterior, gray/khaki (I believe thats what the color combo is called) interior with 80, xxx miles 3.7 4x4. Ive negotiated the price to 12,400. Does that seem like a solid price? Anything specific to that year I should check for? The guy selling it is the second owner and he purchased it with 8000 miles. Here's a picture. (Im getting it with the factory wheels not these aftermarket ones).

Unread 10-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
yzjwk
2005 WK 

welcome to the wk world . you've been around so i'm sure you had a look at the buying a wk/xk sticky http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/b...-read-1458434/
all i can add is take it for a good test drive and make sure that 3.7 is for you so you don't regret it like some have .If you test drove a 4.7 or hemi in any year you should have something to compare it to .
good luck
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Listen for any clunking when shifting through the gears or while driving over bumps. Shift it into 4Lo and make sure no messages or codes pop up and that it functions properly. What are your plans with the vehicle? If you plan on lifting and some bigger tires I would suggest the 4.7L or the 5.7L HEMI. Only reason is that some people wish they would have gotten a bigger engine to have more power to move bigger tires and not be sluggish. As far as MPG's are concerned there is a slight difference between the 3 engines but it isn't much in my eyes for the power and extra features you can get with a HEMI limited. I'm getting around 13.9 MPG's hand calculated with a 2 inch lift,32" tires,roof rack, and even my spare tire sitting up top with my Hemi limited.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
yzjwk
2005 WK 

3.7L = single speed transfer case = no 4 low .
also in 08 the 4.7 was redesigned 305 hp and 334 ft lbs .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
johngreen1234
2010 WK 

This car looks great, but I'm going to pile on with the engine issue. In the year I've been on here I've read plenty of posts from 3.7 owners who get buyer's remorse and ask about swapping in a Hemi, but I have yet to read a post from a Hemi owner who wants to swap in a 3.7. I'm sorry, but this is a much heavier rig than you're used to, and the big engine doesn't eat that much more gas.
johngreen1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #6
chance_p
2008 WK 

Alright guys thanks for the advice. Im looking at an 08 laredo with the 4.7 tomorrow instead of the white one with the 3.7. The one im looking at tomorrow has nav, heated leather, dual climate' and also 80k miles. Ill make sure to listen for clunking while test driving. Since I have realized I dont offroad nearly as much as id like to think I do, this jeep will most likely be lowered an inch or two and get some nice wheels. Sorry Jeepforum. Lol
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance_p View Post
Alright guys thanks for the advice. Im looking at an 08 laredo with the 4.7 tomorrow instead of the white one with the 3.7. The one im looking at tomorrow has nav, heated leather, dual climate' and also 80k miles. Ill make sure to listen for clunking while test driving. Since I have realized I dont offroad nearly as much as id like to think I do, this jeep will most likely be lowered an inch or two and get some nice wheels. Sorry Jeepforum. Lol
Nothing wrong with lowering! We accept everyone here. It's your Jeep you do as you want with it The 4.7 is a pretty solid engine, I think you would be happier with that than the 3.7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.