Looking at 07 CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking at 07 CRD

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!

Unread 11-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
zamball
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looking at 07 CRD

Hello all,
I'm looking at a 07' GC Limited with the 3.0. Anything to look at specifically with the powertrain on this guy?

Also for those of you guys/gals who are tuning these for MPG what is the highest you have gotten. Also what have you done to achieve this?

Thanks

Unread 11-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
jaje
2007 WK 

Read up on the CRD FAQ.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Chirpz

2007 WK 

I've got one. Love it so far. DO read the Faq mentioned in the previous post.

I got mine by divine providence. My 2000 GC blew a head gasket while we were towing a trailer through Oregon. It stalled at the highest point in the blue mountains right next to the elevation sign. We coasted 17 miles to the next town and limped into the Jeep dealer that was near the exit.

Big snow storm was brewing. They quoted us a big bill to fix our Jeep and probably a 2 week wait....couldn't do it.

He had one ONE Jeep on the lot that was rigged for towing. It was an 07 Limited CRD. It was a consignment from another customer and had 11,000 miles on it, fully loaded with every option. I bought it for $21,995 not knowing anything about diesels or about this model. Turned out I got a killer deal. We hooked up and towed out of there just as the snow was falling.

Since then, we have had almost all the common problems in the FAQ. Just work your way through them. Its a nice rig.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Jscheier
2007 WK 

Look for one with good records concerning maintenance. Make sure they used the right oil and followed factory procedures for fill.

These are great vehicles if cared for properly!

2007 Jeep GC QD2 CRD is for sale!!!!
Jscheier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

To answer OPs mileage question: With the stock air dam and the GDE ECO, I hit a high of 27MPG (GPS verified, tank filled up to the brim of the fill spout) in one 450 mile go on the highway. My avg speed was 55, with the air temp at 90F+. What's more realistic is 24-25 MPG at 65, all highway.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
KUJeeper82
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC_xj View Post
To answer OPs mileage question: With the stock air dam and the GDE ECO, I hit a high of 27MPG (GPS verified, tank filled up to the brim of the fill spout) in one 450 mile go on the highway. My avg speed was 55, with the air temp at 90F+. What's more realistic is 24-25 MPG at 65, all highway.
I average ~20 mpg going 85 mph all stock with Goodyear Fuel Max (commute 100 miles/day)...

If I limp along with the rest of the mortals at 65 mph fuel economy increases to ~23 mpg.
KUJeeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
zamball
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just got home from the trip four hours away... I ended up picking it up. It wont be a trail rig (have a JK Rubi for that) so I'm really looking to tune it for MPG. I've done searches online and the forums but no real great detail. From the little bit I got to drive it it seemed like it had tons of power .

http://www.dieselexpress.co.uk/adds/jeep.html which is 120 and tax if Google converted it right for me...

also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Box-CR...item3a6ab6a21b

I looked at the the GDE tuning but wow its crazy expensive
http://www.greendieselengineering.co...T+tune&model=+
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamball View Post
Just got home from the trip four hours away... I ended up picking it up. It wont be a trail rig (have a JK Rubi for that) so I'm really looking to tune it for MPG. I've done searches online and the forums but no real great detail. From the little bit I got to drive it it seemed like it had tons of power .

http://www.dieselexpress.co.uk/adds/jeep.html which is 120 and tax if Google converted it right for me...

also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Box-CR...item3a6ab6a21b

I looked at the the GDE tuning but wow its crazy expensive
http://www.greendieselengineering.co...T+tune&model=+
There's a lot cheaper "tune" options out there that simply increase power but at the longevity of the engine or turbo. The GDE tune is made specifically for the WK CRD and it disables swirl motor, EGR and has an option for DPF removal. It also increases power and mpg in balance versus the cheaper options. I'd not recommend a cheapo tune to get more power - spend the money and get it done right. IIRC there's a nice post about quality of a tune and you get what you pay for.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
stilling
2012 JK Wrangler 

I got one and we love it, we are a large family so the 7 seat is essential for us well we ar 6 people, so we use the 7th seat for luggage and we look for roof box be course there are no room for anything when you use the seats, thats about the only issue i think there is, but its kind of obviouas when you look at the car so we knew we had it coming.

Well okay, the heavy drinking, could be considered a problem to, it is the heavy'est drinking diesel transportation device is you look away from 18 wheel trucks ;-), but we work with Bluespark Automotive on the Scandinavian market and we kind of tok it as a challenge, it was doing 36-38 MPG before, now we have an total average at 23 MPG regardless almost what we challenge it to do, next test is fat offroad tires and a Roof box for max resistance :-)

We haven't had any problem yet, but i suspect that the automatic gearbox are the only week link, people tend to be fooled by the fact that its a Mercedes diesel that are known to be callable of 1 million miles or more without problems, just regular service, but the gearbox are NOT from Mercedes neither are the rest of the drivetrain, so if the engine goes like a million miles i will suspect that you change gearbox 3 times :-)

Just bare that in mind and you will have a blast in a car like that, we really love this car, and i really can't tel you what exactly makes us do just that, be course its everything we are not looking for in a car, we just needed the 7 seat option. normally cars last about a year here at our house, this have been with us for 1,5 years and absolutely no plans to sell it any time soon, just ordered roof box to salve the luggage, might have been easier to go for a Surburban, but thats not a Commander is it ?
stilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
zamball
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the help! Has anyone ran a twin turbo on these? I've Googled and Youtubed but could not find anything.
Unread 11-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
sickchilly
2010 WK 

The turbo is a variable vane model under strict computer control. You cannot mess with it or all he** will break loose.
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
zamball
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
The turbo is a variable vane model under strict computer control. You cannot mess with it or all he** will break loose.
Good to know!

After talking with my wife she was not against the $700 tuner... lol

Just one more thing to save up for.
Unread 11-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
zamball
2009 JK Wrangler 

Oh one last thing.. remote start. I have read on here that you can use Remote Start on these. I looked at the dealer window tag and its listed on there however the key doesn't have they x2 start button. The remotes are factory...

Any ideas on this one?
Unread 11-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Blue_Sassley
2008 WK 

Check for the cut off switch under the hood, its on the drivers side to the right of the battery. To see if its really there. Also try hitting the blank button to the lower right of the lock button twice and see if you head lights blink and the doors lock. Should fire up about 3 to 5 seconds later.
1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L - ST - Stock (Wreaked)
Blue_Sassley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #15
zamball
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Sassley View Post
Check for the cut off switch under the hood, its on the drivers side to the right of the battery. To see if its really there. Also try hitting the blank button to the lower right of the lock button twice and see if you head lights blink and the doors lock. Should fire up about 3 to 5 seconds later.
Just looked for the cut off switch and negative. No blank buttons on the remotes as well. I read on a older forum where this guy had it listed on his window sticker as well and took it to the dealership and they installed it for him. I dont remember how old it was but I'm sure they would not do anything for me since I'm the third owner and its 7 years old.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.