Looking at an 05 GC again, Limited this time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Looking at an 05 GC again, Limited this time

Zone Offroad - Jeep Forum Promotion50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.comJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 05-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
domesticpower

Looking at an 05 GC again, Limited this time

I posted a while ago about an 05 GC Laredo with the 4.7l V8 and QTII. I waited too long to think about it and it got sold. It looks like that may have paid off as I found two more 05 GCs. This time they're both Limited. Both have the 5.7l V8 () and QDII (). They're within a couple of hundred bucks of each other at about $6.5k so cost isn't a factor.

One has 153k miles and another has 132k miles. Unfortunately, I looked up the VIN and the lower mileage one was a "fleet" vehicle. I'm worried about it being a rental and beat on but as far as I know, fleet vehicles maintenance are always kept up to date so that may be a plus. The higher mileage one has 6 CD changer (good for the wife) and a rear DVD player (awesome for junior). The question is, would you pick up either of them and if so which one? I really like the higher mileage one because it wasn't a fleet vehicle and the options.

This will be our main vehicle so I need it to be dependable. I hear Jeeps have a bad reputation for electrical gremlins.. I don't mind if little things here and there go bad like a wiper motor, electric mirrors, etc. By dependable, I mean that I just need it to always start when it's supposed to and always go when and how it's supposed to. Any feedback is appreciated!

domesticpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
Jtav2012
2005 WK 

Make sure the CD player works. Mine never has. Disk Errors like mad.

I'm only at 115k so I can't say myself how dependable it is into the 150s. I've had to replace my radiator, and I have a nasty ticking noise (probably lifters but it's been happening for 3 years and hasn't been an issue). That's about it. I just did my diffs/transfer case fluid, everything looks good and I don't have too much rust underneath but definitely check.

Otherwise, very happy with my Jeep 3 years later.
Unread 05-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
ClassyCavemanWK
2005 WK 

If it's a primary, I'd continue the search, I've seen lower mileage, loaded 05 limited's w the 5.7 for not much more. In the 10 grand area you can get something with 95-110 mileage-wise... Makes me wish I had continued my search just a little longer, tho I have zero complaints about my 05 limited with the 4.7. 117k miles, going strong.
ClassyCavemanWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
brentwoodkris
2005 WK 

I've got 125k on the clock of my '05 Limited HEMI and she still purrs every day as my DD. No real problems to speak of, but I keep up with all of her maintenance and such. I've also installed a catch can, and done lots of other preventative maintenance. I suspect she'll last until at least 200k, which is when I'll probably convert her into a farm jeep and buy a RAM instead.
brentwoodkris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Make sure you have an annual maintenance and repair budget expectation for a ten year old Jeep Grand Cherokee. From my experience set aside about $1,200 a year on average. Some years it will be more, like the first two on a used car, and some years it will be less.

Big maintenance expenses should be considered upfront before the purchase like tires, brakes, shocks, struts and wheel bearings. Then, there are fluids like differential front and rear, transfer case, and transmission.

I have had three Jeep Grand Cherokees and would buy another. They are much more expensive to maintain and repair than a Toyota Camry.
RCS1300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #6
modernblueWK

Mine was a rental for 19k miles. Oil changed 4 times in 19k miles. 6 years and 56k miles later no regrets.

2005 wk, 100k+ miles, $6.5k not my idea of an investment in reliability.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #7
domesticpower

Thanks for all the replies.

We're unfortunately on a very tight budget so I can't move any higher and it's tough to find any better/younger vehicles in that price if you're only looking at good 4x4s. Our current vehicle is a 214k mile 2002 GMC Envoy so either is a big upgrade in terms of mileage and age. It sounds like you guys are happy with them so far which is what I was hoping for and the only concern is the high mileage.

Thanks for the maintenance estimate RCS1300. I'll keep that in mind. If you exclude brakes, tires and all fluid changes (incl. diffs, transfer case, etc.), how much would estimate the maintenance costs to be every year and what does that usually include?
Unread 05-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #8
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by domesticpower View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
If you exclude brakes, tires and all fluid changes (incl. diffs, transfer case, etc.), how much would estimate the maintenance costs to be every year and what does that usually include?
Eliminating brakes, tires, and all fluid changes I would estimate an annual maintenance and repair budget of $800/year. Realize that one year that may be $2,000 and other years $300. Neglecting the scheduled fluid changes will shorten the life of the engine, drive train, and transmission.

There will be maintenance items that simply wear out. These items were taken from my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee service spreadsheet. Vehicle has 70,000 original miles.

Front wheel bearings, front struts, rear shocks, transmission cooler lines, oil pan, turn signal cancel cam, EVAP purge solenoid, ignition switch, fan blower resistor, rear hatch props, o2 sensors, EVAP pump, 3rd brake light, and ABS speed sensor.

The items below were taken from my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee service spreadsheet. Vehicle has 130,000 original miles.

A/C Evap pump, front bearings, valve cover gasket, engine oil pan, driver side CV axle, pinion & carrier bearings in rear differential, steering damper, cooling fan relay, speed sensor, 3rd brake lamp bulb, windshield wiper check valve, a/c evap coil, window regulator, inner and outer tie rods, transfer case seal, power steering assembly, rear axle bearings, rear shocks, front shocks, and fuel pump seal.

By contrast, my parents 2005 Toyota Camry purchased new has averaged $195/year in maintenance and service expenses. That includes a new set of $800 tires! Their largest non tire expense has been rear brake service for $221. No tune ups needed for 100,000 miles. A 2005 fully loaded Toyota Camry is right in your price range.
Unread 05-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
domesticpower

Thanks again RCS1300. The details are very much appreciated. I absolutely do not intend to neglect fluid changes. I simply have an idea of how much that, tires and brakes should run so I wanted to see what else I need to worry about.

I need a tow vehicle, and preferably a 4x4 because they work great in our weather, so a FWD midsizer is out of the question. I needed 4 low just to get up an icy hill after a big storm this rough winter we've just had. It's also much more convenient for the occasional camping trip. That really limits options. I also like to stick to domestics.

I test drove one of those Jeeps and absolutely loved it. The power is great and the handling is a huge step above any truck or SUV with a true 4x4 that I've ever driven. You really have me worried about reliability though.. I'm not expecting it to be bullet proof but I don't want to be fixing something every month or two.
Unread 05-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
You really have me worried about reliability though..
Neither of my two Jeeps mentioned above left me stranded on the side of the highway.
Unread 05-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
domesticpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
Neither of my two Jeeps mentioned above left me stranded on the side of the highway.
That's great to hear. Did some of the items you replaced at 70k give you trouble, like the ignition switch not working or fan blower wouldn't run and overheat or they were just maintenance items called in the manual?
Unread 05-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
RCS1300
2005 WK 

Quote:
That's great to hear. Did some of the items you replaced at 70k give you trouble, like the ignition switch not working or fan blower wouldn't run and overheat or they were just maintenance items called in the manual?
The items replaced up to 70,000 miles were all due to the previous part breaking. For example, the fan would only operate on the high speed so I needed a new resistor, the ignition switch made the vehicles dash light up like a christmas tree so I needed a new ignition switch. The front wheel bearings began to whine so I replaced them. The shocks and struts became bouncy bouncy so I replaced them.
Unread 05-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #13
domesticpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
The items replaced up to 70,000 miles were all due to the previous part breaking. For example, the fan would only operate on the high speed so I needed a new resistor, the ignition switch made the vehicles dash light up like a christmas tree so I needed a new ignition switch. The front wheel bearings began to whine so I replaced them. The shocks and struts became bouncy bouncy so I replaced them.
Thanks RCS1300, you've been a lot of help.
Unread 05-10-2015, 04:21 AM   #14
rsurran
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
.. I'm not expecting it to be bullet proof but I don't want to be fixing something every month or two.
The one you like the most is at greatest risk of being at the beginning of a major maintenance cycle where the PO may have gotten rid of it rather than do the maintenance. The more items you can identify as having been done, the more confidence in the PO taking care of it. RCS1300's list is a good place to start. Good luck and welcome.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.